Default newborn clothing sizes

just a quick question about newborn clothing sizes. when a label says 0-3, does this mean it will fit a newborn, 1 month, 2 month or 3 month old? or is it better to buy from a store where the label says NB? i saw a cute outfit on joe fresh but it said 0-3 and didnt know if it would fit to taker her home from the hospital.

Expert Forum User

It all depends on the size of your newborn.

My first 2 were both almost 9lbs and neither fit into "newborn" stuff. My last was only 6lbs 4oz - he fit the newborn stuff for a couple of weeks.

Honestly though? The first 2 weeks they mainly wore sleepers.

Newborn is smaller than 0-3 month. I understand 0-3 month is the same as 3 month. Joe Fresh clothing fits small. Maybe get a few newborn sleepers but not many in case you have a big baby.

I agree and then all stores have different sizes. Once baby is here you will be able to determine what fits from what store and go from there. I suggest a take home outfit be newborn or 0-3 (both similar sized) and take a 3month or 3-6 too just in case. Both my boys were almost 9lbd but fit newborn for a couple weeks as they were long but thin.
    We mostly did sleepers too, easy and comfy for Baby, but I know others dress their babies in real clothes everyday. All depends on what u want to do. We had a couple outfits 0-3, tons of 3-6 (I hate laundry), same amount of 6-9, 9-12 and by then we did clothes. By a year we had less laundry and I had more of a routine so we bought way less!

Do people still do that? Special "take home" outfit? Oy.....

Just wanted to clarify, it is not a special take home out fit, i am new to this and not sure on sizing...was looking at a sleeper (trying to find ones that are not fleece bc my dh doesnt like fleece and they are hard to find not fleece) saw one on joe fresh which was not fleece but knitted and thought it would work well.

Many sleepers aren't fleece. Check out Carter's for some really cute ones

Expert Forum User

I agree it depends. My personal interpretation of sizes:

NB means this will NEVER fit, but are great for dolls

0-3 means it is great for the drive home from the hospital and maybe a couple weeks, so purchase 1-3 outfits of this size

3 months means it will fit your baby after they come home, at least for a short while

- I only used 3 month and 3-6 month outfits

(my boys were 9.9 lbs and 10 lbs)

You should be able to find light weight sleepers that are cotton.
    Last edited by melissawilliam; 09-30-2015 at 01:24 PM.

My kids wore NB for a few weeks, and then 0-3M for another month or 2 after that and then wore 3-6 months for about 3 months after that. I found things pretty much lined up with their age for me. My kids were 6.5 lbs and 6.1lbs when they were born and were smaller than that when we left the hospital. My littlest was 5lbs 14oz when we brought him home. It really does just depend on the size of your individual kid. I have a friend who's 20 month old daughter is wearing 12 month clothing right now.

I agree, and kids grow at such different rates. My 2yo is wearing 2t, and at 3months was in 6-12 month clothes!

Also what's wrong with a special take home outfit? I must have missed the memo...

Quote Originally Posted by LaLa View Post
    I agree, and kids grow at such different rates. My 2yo is wearing 2t, and at 3months was in 6-12 month clothes!

Also what's wrong with a special take home outfit? I must have missed the memo...
    Thanks LaLa! I don't think theres anything wrong with it! I just wasnt sure how many layers and sizes...this is a whole new world for me!

Expert Forum User

My middle came home in a 0-3mo Joe Sleeper. She was 8lbs 5oz and maybe 20". Tiny bit big but fine.