Thread: baby monitors

Default baby monitors

I want to have a baby monitor. my dad told me i must have one. he is worried that what happened to me might happen to my baby. when i was little my dad's step sister laid me on my belly ( she didn't know you weren't supposed to) and when my dad came to check on me my face was blue. I was rushed to the hospital and was fine. I want a monitor that is not wireless and is the most safest. any advice/suggestions where to buy one like this as most seem to be wireless..so lost when it comes to these monitors!

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

If you're really nervous, there's the angel care monitor - it has a pad that goes under the sheet or something, and senses if baby hasn't moved in yay long and an alert goes off.

I've only ever used sound monitors and found they all work just fine, though if you live in an apartment you might get crossover from someone else's monitor if you have the same brand.
    DD1 age 7 DS age 11
    "I will remember you." July/10
    Baby Elaina born October 28th, 2011. Making every single day that much more special.
    INTERESTED IN BUYING DVDS OF OLD KIDS' SHOWS. Mr.Rogers', Mr.Dressup, Polka Dot Door, etc

All video monitors will be wifi enabled. In my opinion, you don't need video. We had a basic monitor that the base plugged into the way and we kept that on the dresser. Close enough to pick up sound but far enough away that baby wouldn't pull it into the crib (strangulation hazard)

The other end (the receiver) could be used plugged in or with batteries. Ours came with 2 so we had one plugged in permanently next to our bed and the other was battery operated that I carried around with me

I have a wireless levana one but it doesn't hook up to wifi. It's video. With my first we had just sound, but then I found I would rush in and check on baby every noise or lack of noise! With video I get peace of mind that baby is OK and still sleeping just cooing in their sleep.

You won't find very many monitors that are not wireless, levana does not hook up to WiFi for most of their monitors, only a select few which prevents the whole someone hacking in thing. They also have a device that clips on babies diaper or sleeper and sounds an alarm if no breathing is detected. I've heard amazing things on this, but I never chose to buy it as it seemed over paranoid to me. Maybe with a premie I would buy one.

Levana also has sales in their website quite often, and open box products which have a regular warranty that are low priced too. We got a two camera system for under $100 with shipping and couldn't be more pleased.

The sound only system we had was just a babies r us one but the interference was awful! We would always hear random noises thru it...

I have a video monitor for this baby (3rd). It isn't wifi. The only reason I went for this route was because I wanted to be on the deck while my other two were in the back yard and still be able to see the baby. Then I wasn't running in for every noise because I could see she was just making noises in her sleep.

Expert Forum User

A baby monitor would not detect if that occurred. It will just let you know when baby is crying, and you may be able to hear if baby moves, but you would not be able to hear if baby is "not" making sounds.

If you live in a house, then you can use a monitor. If you live in an apartment it really isn't needed. Usually, you can hear if baby is awake.

Do you mean "wireless" as doesn't use internet, or that it has wires so you can plug into wall?
    My last monitor was just $30, and it worked great. I could plug both pieces into the wall, but could use batteries for my part and carry it outside my house or any floor of my house.