Default pregnancy heartburn

Ladies:

I have been taking tums mainly one before bed to help with heartburn. I was reading the ingredients and see theres stuff in them i dont want to be ingesting. Seems all the brands i look at in the one pharmacy had junk and sugar in them. Does anyone know where i might be able to get get something similar to tums but without the sugar and junk? i know baking soda is supposed to work but i dont want to have to drink that..dont imagine it tastes good and it might raise my sodium levels too much.

i was reading that chewable calcium might help... did anyone take these to help with heartburn? if so what kind? i could ask my ob but dont see her for about 2 weeks. i was looking in food basics pharmacy and should likely go to shoppers but thought i would ask here first.

Have you considered ginger? Or a ginger tea?

I would call mother risk and ask. They are experts on anything that you will be ingesting. I believe baking soda is a no no when pregnant.

Expert Forum User

I learned that especially water, or other liquids before laying down are a no-no. Try eating Saltines a few minutes before bed to help absorb liquids in your stomach. Also, use an extra pillow under your head to help prop your head/chest up more.
    Your goal is to prevent liquid from leaving your stomach and coming upwards.

If you have tried all these, then speaking to your pharmacist at shoppers is as good as asking a dr or ob or mw They are medical personnel trained in medications and also have a copy of the Compendium to look up any medication - which is the same thing your dr is going to do.
    Last edited by melissawilliam; 10-04-2015 at 01:51 PM.

Expert Forum User

My heartburn was so bad during pregnancy that my doctor advised me to take Zantac.
    Married 2005. DD1 2007. DD2 2011. Beta Sigma Phi 2013.
    ... and one cute little kitty!

I know this sounds weird but I found that taking a bit of apple cider vinegar helped. I still use this remedy now when I have heartburn. I would sometimes just keep those regular vinegar packets you get at a fast food restaurant on my desk at work when I needed it. It may burn a bit going down but the relief afterwards is great! Tums just makes you need more and more tums. Your body needs the acid to balance things out.
    Try little sips and see how it goes.

Expert Forum User

Momtastic - that actually makes a lot of sense. My son's father had to drink apple cider vinegar when he was waiting for gall bladder surgery. He had found it online and it was one of the things he could eat/drink without pain. He often added it to something (I am thinking apple juice?).

I think i read once you can add it to water, but i take it straight up! I love vinegar.. and apple cider vinegar is even better!