Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By melissawilliam
  • 1 Post By ToocuteMaddie'n'Josh

Thread: Gr 3 math CLUES acronym

Expert Forum User

Default Gr 3 math CLUES acronym

DD1 can't remember what the acronym CLUES stands for, she needs to use it to help explain her answer to a gr. 3 math problem. Google isn't helping me.

Any idea? Thanks!

Is her math homework word problems? If so "clue" might not be an acronym. They may be referring to "clue words" within the problem. So words like "altogether", "remaining", "in total", etc. give you a clue as to what math operation you need to perform. Any chance this is it?

Expert Forum User

It's an acronym. You are correct though it is to help work through a word problem, and look for clues, but it is also the steps to finding the clues and completing the question. Thanks!

Expert Forum User

My daughter is in grade 3, and hasn't talked about CLUE's. She has been working on like 1's, 10's, 100's and regrouping.

Last night her homework stumped her a bit.

eg. 657 = 5 hundreds ___ tens 7 ones.... (so 15 tens was the answer)

Expert Forum User

I have never heard of it. It could be something her teacher created to help with problems, or it isn't something very common.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Quote Originally Posted by a_bun_in_the_oven View Post
    My daughter is in grade 3, and hasn't talked about CLUE's. She has been working on like 1's, 10's, 100's and regrouping.

WHY?! ugh. I would understand if it were 6 hundreds 5 tens and 7 ones but why 15? why? I don't get the point?
    DD1 age 7 DS age 11
    "I will remember you." July/10
    Baby Elaina born October 28th, 2011. Making every single day that much more special.
    INTERESTED IN BUYING DVDS OF OLD KIDS' SHOWS. Mr.Rogers', Mr.Dressup, Polka Dot Door, etc

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by Ingalls View Post
    WHY?! ugh. I would understand if it were 6 hundreds 5 tens and 7 ones but why 15? why? I don't get the point?
    LOL - why would they teach it this way? I think efficiency is better than being tricky! There are different ways to get to 657, but the most efficient way is Ingalls' answer. Ugh...the 'new' math.

Anyway, the acronym is:
    C - consider the problem (meaning re-state it)
    L - look for clues
    U - use a strategy
    E - examine your answer
    S - state your solution

Thanks everyone for your input! I do think this is her teacher's method and acronym.

Expert Forum User

I know eh? We ended up drawing out the questions so she would understand. I mean I get it, but the kids need to be solid on the basics before you start to throw curve balls. She wanted to know why too, and I said it would be like making change if you only had like 5 loonies, but a whole bunch of dimes. 10 dimes = 1 dollar.

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by Ingalls View Post
    Not sure, but I can see this as the precursor to borrowing for subtraction. I can also see how this helps with comprehension. Children often see the numbers 6, 5, 7, but then don't "really" understand HOW the hundreds and tens categories are related.

I don't see this as being a topic by itself, and therefore not a lot of time should be spent on it. But, I can see it has an understanding that helps them better understand the relationship of big numbers or 3 digit subtraction.

Expert Forum User

I would of crossed out the 5 and written a 6 (assumed it was a typo), 5 tens, 7 ones.

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by kymira View Post
    I would of crossed out the 5 and written a 6 (assumed it was a typo), 5 tens, 7 ones.
    There was a 5 questions like this The whole point of the sheet work she was given was to regroup between the hundreds, tens and ones group. She hasn't had anything else come home, but I think she is getting it at least.

Expert Forum User

Grade 2/3 teacher here .... This question is checking students' understanding of numbers. Of course you want to understand the most efficient way of representing this number, but if a student can only answer in this way, there is not a true understanding of what the number means. It's only when a student can comfortably decompose numbers (such as in this question, a student will need to understand that that 10 tens equal 1 hundred ) that you can get a feel that numbers are really understood. (Hope this makes sense. ..I'm hate typing on my phone; ) )
    /wasn't me/ likes this.