Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: what would you pay?

Expert Forum User

Question what would you pay?

My neighbour is in grade 7 and I would like her to walk my gr 2 to school and pick her up. What would you pay her?

$20 a month? Works out to $1 a day. Honestly I have no idea lol

Expert Forum User

Is she just picking her up and walking there and back? Or is she watching her for any length of time? If she is actually watching her for longer then the walk, then I would pay more.

If your daughter is well behaved and the neighbour lives very close, so isn't going out of her way, then I think the above $20 could be ok, or maybe $40 so $1 each walk. I am assuming the school is close.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Quote Originally Posted by melissawilliam View Post
    or maybe $40 so $1 each walk. I am assuming the school is close.
    IMO When you are entrusting anyone of anyone of any age to safely get your child from point a to point b then they deserve way more than 1$ each way.

When I did pay people to walk my kid it was 5 each way. one thing I learned was paying that rate meant I got good kids who were consistent and reliable. Another thing to remember is parents will be giving thier kids at that age permission or not to walk your child so ask yourself would you as a parent think your child is only worth 1$ each way or 2$ a day for walking a child to and from school?

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by sittingpretty View Post
    IMO When you are entrusting anyone of anyone of any age to safely get your child from point a to point b then they deserve way more than 1$ each way.

When I did pay people to walk my kid it was 5 each way. one thing I learned was paying that rate meant I got good kids who were consistent and reliable. Another thing to remember is parents will be giving thier kids at that age permission or not to walk your child so ask yourself would you as a parent think your child is only worth 1$ each way or 2$ a day for walking a child to and from school?
    For a 12 year old - $40 a month is a lot of money IME.
    I would be inclined to do a weekly rate of $20 myself though - and I would pay for the week even if there was holidays, sick days or PD days etc...
    If there is to be any component of "babysitting" I would pay more for that as well.

I would pay $10 a week.

Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

MY 12 year old does this on an occasional basis and gets $5 per trip. If this is going to be twice daily then I would come up with some sort of weekly rate. maybe something like $7 per day. $1 is an insult IMO
    Your life is a result of the choices you make, if you don't like your life it's time to start making better choices.

Expert Forum User

I'd pay $20/week.

Expert Forum User

How far of a walk is it? I'd do no less then $5 a day, more if the walk is longer or any babysitting involved.

Expert Forum User

thank you for all the replies. It is a block away and I no sitting is required. I will get her to watch the kids once in a while but not on school nights
    (we have that rate settled).

Guess she will not be walking my DD1 to school, I had no clue what was expected as pay and IMO $100 a month is crazy, it was just a thought.
    momx2 and rachbent like this.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

I find this thread a bit surprising. My kids are excited at the prospect of walking their little neighbour friend to school when he's adjusted to it. I would not expect them to be paid money for it.
    You're neighbours, or friends, part of a community. You do stuff for each other. Old teach the young. That kind of stuff.
    I could see if she's going way out of her way, or if she's babysitting the child for a while, but just accompanying the kid to school? When I was a kid,you'd just be told, you're going to help so and so out.
    And you would.

I understand the thought process of how that's your child and you are entrusting them etc so aren't they worth fivebucks or more than a dollar or so on -- but if we look at it THAT way, then they're worth a hell of a lot more than five bucks, aren't they?

Kids can do something out of kindness, or to be helpful, or to feel useful.

It would be nice if the parent maybe gave a treat here or there for the bigger kid, or got them a little thank you at the end or such...but when did we stop helping neighbours and expect cash
    for everything?
    momtastic, LaLa and Eleanor Rigby like this.
    DD1 age 7 DS age 11
    "I will remember you." July/10
    Baby Elaina born October 28th, 2011. Making every single day that much more special.
    INTERESTED IN BUYING DVDS OF OLD KIDS' SHOWS. Mr.Rogers', Mr.Dressup, Polka Dot Door, etc

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by Ingalls View Post
    I find this thread a bit surprising. My kids are excited at the prospect of walking their little neighbour friend to school when he's adjusted to it. I would not expect them to be paid money for it.
    You're neighbours, or friends, part of a community. You do stuff for each other. Old teach the young. That kind of stuff.
    I could see if she's going way out of her way, or if she's babysitting the child for a while, but just accompanying the kid to school? When I was a kid,you'd just be told, you're going to help so and so out.
    And you would.

I understand the thought process of how that's your child and you are entrusting them etc so aren't they worth fivebucks or more than a dollar or so on -- but if we look at it THAT way, then they're worth a hell of a lot more than five bucks, aren't they?

Kids can do something out of kindness, or to be helpful, or to feel useful.

It would be nice if the parent maybe gave a treat here or there for the bigger kid, or got them a little thank you at the end or such...but when did we stop helping neighbours and expect cash
    for everything?
    I think the difference really is that you're doing it every day, not a one off, not a week or two while someone gets of their sprained ankle, etc.

It's also different depending on who initiates it. If the older child came to you and said, I'd like to walk your child (because I enjoy being with them, I want to help out, etc), but if you are soliciting this service... it's different.

Expert Forum User

For those that said $5 each way = $5X2X20days = $200/month JUST for a short walk compared to $460/month for college-educated ECE's to watch your child from 7:30-9am and 3:30-6pm.

IF my son was being paid $200/month, I, as the parent, would want to be informed and would prefer to receive the money myself or a cheque for him to put into his bank account, to decide with him how much he could spend immediately and how much I would put into his bank account. As the parent of a 12 year old, I consider $200 to be a lot of money. $1/walk means he would receive $30 every 3 weeks, which would be enough to get some video games, or 7 weeks to save up (saving is a great skill to learn) to purchase a new release game.

We tried delivering the local papers last year - we had to stuff all the papers and then deliver them to houses -this took about 6 hours the first time. He was paid about $7!!! That was crazy, since even if we were faster the next time it would be maybe $2/hour.

$1/5 minute walk would = $12/hour
    Last edited by melissawilliam; 09-18-2015 at 10:38 PM.
    LaLa, rachbent and momx2 like this.

When i was in grade 7 and 8, i got paid $40 a week to walk a girl to and from school. It seemed reasonable 20 years ago. Adjust for inflation and go.
    a_bun_in_the_oven likes this.

I completely agree with Melissa. It's outrageous to pay her so much simply to walk the child back and forth. She is already walking anyway and should be thankful to be paid for it. I think $1 a day or $1 each way is more than enough. If it were my child, I wouldn't even let the parent pay more than that. It's no wonder teenagers these days don't rake leaves or shovel driveways anymore. They've been taught their time is too valuable to work.
    momx2, Chantelle, Ingalls and 1 others like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast