Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By Pomegranate

Thread: underweight help

Default underweight help

I just took my DS to the doctor today and his doctor was concerned he is slightly underweight (18lbs 6oz). So he has referred us to a paediatrician. What should I expect at his paediatrician appointment? In the meantime I am trying to give him more higher fatty foods, such as avocados, high fat yogurt and trying paediasure.

any other ideas?

How old is he? How big was he at birth? The pediatrician will just make sure there is no underlaying issues. My doctor always sends us to one when he isn't sure, since paediatrics isn't his specialty. My last daughter was large at birth (8'13 2 weeks early) but gained slowly. She was in the 15th percentile for a while but we weren't worried. She has now gotten back up to the 50-85% since she started eating solids.

How old is he? Trying higher fat foods like avocados and whole milk are great ideas. Depending on his age you could substitute formula instead of milk to get more calories in too. Try feeding more snacks (healthy like guacamole and crackers, cheese, fruits ect).
    Th pediatrician will more than likely suggest some thing to try an follow him for a couple months to make sure he's gaining. It depends on his height too, he m jus jus petit

Ok thanks for the tips!

Expert Forum User

Be cautious if you are going to try to bring his weight up. I think a lot of Dr's focus on weight gain up to age 2 and then all of a sudden at age 3 the same Dr says they are too big. Does he eat a balanced diet? Is he active? Is he relatively on track for other development milestones? Are his sleep patterns in the normal range? How has his growth curve been (stable or has he all of a sudden plateaued)? Go to the ped appt, but be cautious of intentionally trying to add too much fat to his diet. If there are no other concerns, and he eats a balanced diet with a variety of foods, I wouldn't add anything to increase his weight.

My dd2 is petite, and we were advised to give her healthy high fat food, I refused as there was nothing else but the scale and some chart saying there was something 'wrong', she is completely healthy and active and petite.

does anyone else find that their breastfed babys weight dropped off. our son was very picky on solids/plus distracted eater while I was nursing him. Now (at a year) I have weaned him. so perhaps his weight will catch up with eating more solids? Anyone else hve this happen? I don't want the pediatrician to prescribe something like 'carnation breakfast" as ive heard other mothers complain of because I feed my son very high quality healthy fats (avocados, high fat yogurt, lots of eggs etc)

Expert Forum User

Has he started crawling and/or walking recently new? Could it be that he is just more energetic?

My son is a year next month and I think his weight has dropped, I don't know because we don't have a scale and we don't see doctor until next month. I know at one appointment he was surprised that my son didn't gain much weight from the previous appointment so now I'm always thinking he's not gaining enough! He doesn't seem to be eating in great amounts either, but I'm still breastfeeding so not worried so much about that. I am wondering if he's just burning more calories because he's moving around more.

Which paediatrician are you going to see? We go to Stoffman, some people don't like his bedside manner but he is reasonable, actually a very knowledgeable doctor and I like him. (he's old school, I don't listen to his breastfeeding advice...lol....but he's good if your child is sick or has something weird.)
    Last edited by momx2; 09-16-2015 at 08:16 AM.
    Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants.~Michael Pollan, author of In Defense of Food
    If we want to move towards a low-polluting, sustainable society, we need to get consumers to think about their purchases-David Suzuki
    "You must be the change you want to see in the world"- Mahatma Gandhi

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by smelltheroses View Post
    does anyone else find that their breastfed babys weight dropped off. our son was very picky on solids/plus distracted eater while I was nursing him. Now (at a year) I have weaned him. so perhaps his weight will catch up with eating more solids? Anyone else hve this happen? I don't want the pediatrician to prescribe something like 'carnation breakfast" as ive heard other mothers complain of because I feed my son very high quality healthy fats (avocados, high fat yogurt, lots of eggs etc)
    We only gained 4oz between 6 and 9mo with my youngest. A lot of babies stagnate between 6-12mo.

Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

both my babies weighed under 20lbs at a year. DD1 was 6.2 at birth and something like 18.6 at a year and dd2 who weighed 8.9 at birth was just over 19lbs. I don't think I'd worried unless he doesn't seem to be thriving at all. If he's meeting milestones and is happy and generally healthy I wouldn't worry to much.
    Your life is a result of the choices you make, if you don't like your life it's time to start making better choices.

ya his head circumference is 90th percentile and length between 75th-90th percentile. My dr was concerned with his weight because it is apparently below 5th percentile! But he is a very active boy and hitting all milestones, he crawls a ton following his little sister around. Also, now that ive weaned him he is eating more! my husband went out and bought a scale last night so we can weigh him at home. He appears to have gained a whole pound since our last appointment!(which was only 3 days ago!) so I am wondering too if there scale could have been off?? or if ive just been packing the high protein high fat to him that hes growing by leaps and bounds.

I hate the growth charts they make you unnecessarily worried

Expert Forum User

Since you had recently weaned did your dr use the Breastfed growth chart or the formula-fed growth chart? These are not the same, as formula does not react the same with babies.
    Either chart, though, is based on averages. If you and dad are average height and body type, then he should be right at 20lbs on his 1st bday, but if you are short and skinny, and dad is average or small, then it isn't likely your baby will be average or more, he is likely to be smaller.
    I have already read a lot that it isn't what percentile your baby falls on at ONE look, but their pattern. If your baby was born at 5th and stayed there then it is perfect. If he was born at 80th and is now 5th, then it shows there could be a problem.

Scales are never exact, so it is recommended to always use the same scale each time you weigh to compare weights.

My pediatrician never looked at weight charts. Your appt is likely to be the same as with your family dr. My boys see a ped for regular things as she is their family dr (oldest also for ADHD).

My son started running at 9 months and his weight stabilized and he gained very little or nothing for the next few months, even though he was starting to eat more solids.

My pediatrician was recently concerned about my son's weight gain too. The important thing about growth charts is to see if they stay around the same percentile. 5th percentile is still normal if he's always been around that, but if he was at the 90th percentile and now is at the 5th then that is a concern. Ask to see what his previous numbers were.