Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By SpringChicks
  • 1 Post By LaLa
  • 1 Post By smelltheroses

Thread: Pelvic floor physio

Expert Forum User

Default Pelvic floor physio

Just wanted to share my experience so far with a pelvic floor physio (in case anyone thinks they might be able to benefit from going to one). I had diastasis recti (ab separation) in my third pregnancy and was really worried about getting back to the gym, running or basically anything high impact until I got things checked out. I put it off though until DS was 1 yr old b/c I was kind of put off by the idea, thought it would be uncomfortable both physically and just yeah, mentally I guess (it is a bit weird but you realize that it's for your own health/benefit). Anyway, I had moderate separation when I was assessed about 2 months ago and at my appt yesterday the gap is already closing nicely and my lower back pain is gone! Pretty awesome. I have noticed my posture is also way better and I'm more mindful of how I pick up and hold my kid(s).

Anyway, just wanted to throw that out there. I know it can be a taboo subject although more ppl are becoming aware of it. I really didn't have any incontinence issues or anything like that but I've heard great stories from those who suffered with that, both postpartum and older ppl, and have had relief from their symptoms. I think I've actually convinced my mom and sister to both go to someone.
    jennerama likes this.

Hailey - April 2008
    Scarlett - April 2012
    Troy - July 2014
    *Currently enrolled in the Perinatal Support Practitioner program through Babies Naturally and looking to attend births as a student doula. Please message me for details!*

Any more info on this? Like how did u find a Pelvic floor physio therapist? Covered by insurance or did you have to pay? And what kinds of exercises did they suggest? Feel free to pm if you don't want to post on the board, I'm quite interested in hearing more
    SpringChicks likes this.

I worked with a physio last year doing pelvic floor work for stress incontinence and it really helped. Then I got pregnant again so I haven't started back but it's much better. They do internal work which is awkward but you get used to it. It's more comfortable than an internal exam by the doctor. I tried doing kegels for years but it wasn't until I did them with the internal feedback from the physio that I really learned how to do them. The sessions were all covered. I used the website below to find someone.

The College of Physiotherapists of Ontario

Mamas physio in london she is great! She comes to your home as well! So convenient when you have a new baby especially!
    SpringChicks likes this.

Expert Forum User

How did u find a Pelvic floor physio therapist?: I went to a workshop at Rebirth last year about diastasis recti and the presenter was a pelvic floor physio. It was the first time I had really heard much about it and what it can do for your body. There are apparently 6 or 7 pelvic floor physios in London now. I just started searching online and reading profiles and info about the physiotherapists. I went with the mama's physio and she's been great.
    Covered by insurance or did you have to pay? :I have maxed out my insurance but thankfully DH's benefits have now kicked in. The first appt is pretty expensive, but the subsequent ones are about as much as an rmt appt.
    And what kinds of exercises did they suggest? A lot of visualizations with kegels (think picking up a blueberry and setting it down, etc.) There are internal assessments to make sure you're doing the exercises right. Yes that's right, lol. Some people are horrified to think of this but I think it's actually great to connect with your body and know that you're doing kegels correctly to ensure that there are doing anything. I don't have time in my life to be doing useless kegels lol. Then you build on the initial exercises.

Hailey - April 2008
    Scarlett - April 2012
    Troy - July 2014
    *Currently enrolled in the Perinatal Support Practitioner program through Babies Naturally and looking to attend births as a student doula. Please message me for details!*