Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By rachbent

Thread: bunkbeds. do your kids use them? what age is safe? co-horting boy/girl in room?

Default bunkbeds. do your kids use them? what age is safe? co-horting boy/girl in room?

I have baby number 3 on the way, so we need to make room. Not enough bedrooms in our home so we are thinking to have the two kids sleep in a room together. Oldest is girl 6 years and younger is boy almost 4 years. Shall they even be sleeping in the same room together even though they are different gender? so was thinking of either getting a bunkbed or just two individual single beds in a room. are bunkbeds safe? I worry about someone falling from the top during sleep and hurting themselves, or if they play up top and get silly and fall off by accident. :/ my worries. any expereince with bunkbeds or co-horting two kids in a room/different gender would be appreciated, thanks!

I would think two separate beds (bunk beds scare me! even though they are much lower to the ground than they used to be! I still don't like the idea!).

Expert Forum User

I would aim for 2 separate beds. I'm not comfortable with bunk beds either. Room sharing isn't recommended between opposite sex children from 6 and up because kids start becoming aware and curious of their physical differences starting around then. Perhaps you could start out by having the baby in your room then once the child is a bit older (6 mths+) move them in with the same gender child?
    Last edited by Findabhair; 09-09-2015 at 12:02 PM.

Bunkbeds are perfectly fine if you explain safety rules to your children and ensure there's no "playing" on the top bunk. Use a 6" mattress on the top to ensure the rail is proper height to prevent rolling out of bed. The open end with the ladder is at the end past their feet, so unless your child is a crazy sleeper I'm sure they'll be fine. From what I've read, the recommended age for the top bunk is 6 years old. I also don't think there's anything wrong with children of opposite genders sharing a room at a young age. Teach them that they can close the door or use the bathroom if they want privacy. Otherwise, they are just innocent children. It's probably fine until the oldest is 10ish and starts going through puberty.
    Last edited by rachbent; 09-09-2015 at 12:39 PM.
    LaLa, Carol and lulismommy like this.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

My boy and girl shared for a few years. Mine get dressed in the bathroom anyway, so that wasn't a worry. if you use bunkbeds, get them from somewhere you can see them set up first. Consider stuff like the ladder -- I much prefer a slanted ladder to an upright one, as it's easier to climb without slipping. Consider the bottom bunk, too -- my kids' one was really dark in there so never got used aside from sleep, but my nieces had a set where they could sit in there and play easily and it was much nicer. Depends how much floor space you have, really.
    I don't find bunk beds dangerous as long as your kids aren't unusually mischevious and can follow some simple rules like no jumping off the top bunk or no wrestling up there.
    If they have seperate beds it'll use up a lot of ffloor space so if you have a playroom, or a really big bedroom, that's no issue but if you have a small room, that will suck for them
    DD1 age 7 DS age 11
    "I will remember you." July/10
    Baby Elaina born October 28th, 2011. Making every single day that much more special.
    INTERESTED IN BUYING DVDS OF OLD KIDS' SHOWS. Mr.Rogers', Mr.Dressup, Polka Dot Door, etc

Expert Forum User

My boys have bunkbeds that can be taken apart and used as separate beds if we wish. We started my oldest on the top bunk at 6.5 (now 8) and the youngest was 2.5 (now 4). We've had no issues. The top bunk has a railing and DS1 has never fallen out. The kids don't generally play in their room but all of them will sometimes hang out up there and read and have no problems.
    My daughter was 4.5 when we did this and was very jealous that she didn't have a bunkbed and wasn't sharing a room but got over that when we bought wall decals to decorate her room.

Expert Forum User

We have bunkbeds (they are set up as two singles right now).
    My kids started in them around DS#1 was 6 and DS#2 was 3.
    We never had any issues - the oldest slept on the top and we had rules about playing in the beds. No one was ever hurt or fell or anything really.

Now, at the cottage we have these beds over the closets in the kids rooms - they are 12 feet above the floor - I didn't let them use them until they were teenagers.

Expert Forum User

Our boy/girl twins shared a room for two years - ages 4 to 6 when we had our youngest. We were waiting until our youngest boy started sleeping through the night before we put him with his big brother. The twins didn't want to be separated so it worked out well while they were sharing a room.

All three of mine have been in bunk beds at one time or another. Never a problem.
    Cole is 8 years old! January, 2005
    Nate is 5 years old! January, 2008
    Judah is 2 years old! October, 2010
    Avery Grace born & passed Feb 4, 2007.

"Why did I not know that birth is the pinnacle where women discover the courage to become mothers?"
    Anita Diamant (The Red Tent)

Expert Forum User

We have bunk beds set up in my oldests room. She's rarely up top but I would be completely comfortable with it if she was. I found when bunk bed shopping that a lot of the bunks were really flimsy. Knowing I'd need to go up there to change the sheets, I went for sturdy.

If we end up with another kiddo, someone will likely be sharing a room (unless I convert the den into a bedroom). If we did have a room sharing situation I'd most likely do bunks for more floor space, and placed to play and/or escape when you need alone time.

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by a_bun_in_the_oven View Post
    Knowing I'd need to go up there to change the sheets, I went for sturdy.
    I went for sturdy too - big solid pine pieces....

That said, the top bunk only got a mattress cover (top and bottom to prevent damage from underneath - and yes, there was a need) and a fitted sheet and a duvet. I never put a flat sheet on it because it was too much of a PITA.

the worst part of bunk beds is changing the fitted sheet. I think it might be the worst task in the house. Toss up between cleaning the bathtub and the top bunk fitted sheet...
    Cole is 8 years old! January, 2005
    Nate is 5 years old! January, 2008
    Judah is 2 years old! October, 2010
    Avery Grace born & passed Feb 4, 2007.

"Why did I not know that birth is the pinnacle where women discover the courage to become mothers?"
    Anita Diamant (The Red Tent)

https://www.zipitbedding.com/

perfect for top bunks

as a side note boys and girls can share a room forevere. There is zero law that says by this age they must have seperate rooms. The must have private space to change and that is a bathroom or one kid in the bedroom at a time