Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By one ordinary girl

Thread: almost 4 year old, epi-pen and school

Default almost 4 year old, epi-pen and school

not sure how to title this, or where to post this question. I have a 3.5 year old in JK this year. Will be 4 in November. He has a peanut allergy and the school has requested/recommended that he carry an epi-pen with him at all times. He went to daycare the last two years and it was the teachers/classroom leaders that carried the epi-pen around. Now that he is starting school, the office has to have one, and he has to have one with him in his classroom I believe in his bag (or will clarify if its the teachers that hold it but Im sure its supposed to be with him in his bag), and when he goes home from school via bus or takes the bus in the morning, he should carry it with him in his bag. Anyone experience a young child with an allergy needing to carry an epi-pen with them at all times? I think I am just nervous because my LO is so young. I have not really explained to him about this epi-pen much, I know I should. I just worry that if he is riding the bus one day and is curious to look in his bag and he pulls out his epi-pen etc the situations that can arise. Or if he may loose it. I dont know if I could trust him with it at this time?? Not sure how to go about this. Anyone with experience? TIA!

Expert Forum User

A boy in my daughter's class carried an epi pen due to a peanut allergy as well as an inhaler. He wore a fanny pack (a belt with a compartment to hold these two items) every day. It was always on him and with him. Kids move classrooms and can be outside for gym class, etc. It is important that they wear it so that if they need it, it can be reached immediately. I hope that helps.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

I think the fanny pack is the best idea.

I would assume you've explained the seriousness of his allergy, to him, right? Just explain the epi pen is important medicine and not to be played with etc. I wouldn't think it would be safe in his backpack unless you get a small one he just wears all day, because like babylove said you move class to class, or a sub might not know which is his bag immediately and precious seconds are missed.
    Another idea maybe a strap that goes across his body like how a woman carries a purse crossbody style? With a pocket in it. Get it custom made if needed, velcro adjustable etc and justh ave it be part of his 'uniform' for school.
    DD1 age 7 DS age 11
    "I will remember you." July/10
    Baby Elaina born October 28th, 2011. Making every single day that much more special.
    INTERESTED IN BUYING DVDS OF OLD KIDS' SHOWS. Mr.Rogers', Mr.Dressup, Polka Dot Door, etc

I think one of the kids at our school found a really cool small fanny pack at Mountain Equipment Coop that was perfect for this. I think it was originally designed for runners but I remember seeing it on the girl and commenting how great it looked.

My daughter had 2 children in her class with epi pens for a peanut allergy. The teachers kept them in a see through box in the coat room on a shelf. You could clearly see them. When there was field trips then the teachers carried them in a fanny pack. You can discuss with the teacher as to what the expectations are.

One in the office and one on the child is the norm within the London school boards. I'm not sure how much wiggle room you've got in terms of the whole "on the child" part...it seems having them take it outside would present a risk factor in terms of losing or damaging it. Maybe it can stay somewhere in the classroom, and then go with the student when they go somewhere else within the school walls? Good luck!

Expert Forum User

DD1 has a peanut and tree nut allergy and we have always sent her epipen in her backpack in a separate case. There was one in the office as well but that was b/c she was also in before and after school and they need to have one accessible in the building while she's there. We have talked to her about using it since she was probably 2-3 yrs old and I don't think she would ever take it out (she's 7 now). There have been no issues and the school has never given us a hard time about it.

Hailey - April 2008
    Scarlett - April 2012
    Troy - July 2014
    *Currently enrolled in the Perinatal Support Practitioner program through Babies Naturally and looking to attend births as a student doula. Please message me for details!*

Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

he definitely needs to learn about his epi pen now! does he have the epi brand or the allerject ones? both companies will send out free training epi's if you go on their website there is a link. The reason for having the epi on them at all times is due to the shared spaces within the school so that when he goes to gym, library etc he always has it with him.

My dd has a severe peanut allergy and has carried her epi pen on her since starting school. We had a little pouch that was specifically designed for it. Kozygo - Handcrafted Auto-Injector Pouch for EPIPEN/ALLERJECT/AUVI-Q sells single and double pouches they're like a fanny pack but specifically designed to hold epi pens. She also has one in the office which the teachers are required to take if they are leaving school grounds.

My dd is in 8th grade now and usually carries her allergect in her pocket. If she wears something without pockets she uses a small purse. She never took it out and played with it she knew that it wasn't a toy that it was something that was important for saving her life. Her friends all new what it was as well. I made sure to show them all how it worked ( using the trainer) when they came over for play dates. They were also taught it wasn't something to be played with but how important it was to her incase she ever accidentally ingested peanuts.

To my knowledge ( from what the secretary told me last year) she is the only one in her school who actually carries her epi pen with her at all times. Most of them keep one in the office and one in their backpacks or hanging in a ziplock bag in their classrooms. I find this completely crazy! anything can happen anywhere and those precious seconds can mean the difference between life and death. JMO

So I'd find out exactly what the school expects and start now with him self carrying. Also if he doesn't already get him a medic alert bracelet Check with your school to see if they are apart of the NO child without program offered by Medic Alert. It provides free medic alert bracelets until age 14 I believe. You can also check out their website for you school.
    Last edited by one ordinary girl; 09-10-2015 at 11:11 AM.
    Your life is a result of the choices you make, if you don't like your life it's time to start making better choices.