Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Call of Duty and Other Violent Video Games

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Default Call of Duty and Other Violent Video Games

My 10.5 year old is dying to play Call of Duty. Twice a day I hear a request for these games and it is wearing me down. It does seem like all his friends play and Cole is the odd one out. I don't want to be unreasonable and he's a good responsible kid. If you have kids his age or older do you let them play violent video games? Do you have rules surrounding them?
    Cole is 8 years old! January, 2005
    Nate is 5 years old! January, 2008
    Judah is 2 years old! October, 2010
    Avery Grace born & passed Feb 4, 2007.

"Why did I not know that birth is the pinnacle where women discover the courage to become mothers?"
    Anita Diamant (The Red Tent)

My son is almost 12 and he hasn't played violent games yet. The most violence I've allowed is stuff like Lego games (pirates, batman etc) or minecraft -- in other words, not the realistic type of violence. I'm thinking that if he shows an interest i will allow some violent games soon, but I *much* prefer if the violence is not realistic. Something like World of Warcraft (where it's gnomes and such, though keep in mind I get any and all my knowledge of WOW from The Guild on netflix ), or some sort of scenario *perhaps* where it's like Walking Dead where they're zombies not living people, not innocent people -- y'know?
    Is Call of Duty a war based game? I personally wouldn't allow it, but I don't think it's going to harm them....as long as you aren't letting them do it all the time, and it isn't all consuming.
    I just don't like war, war simulation, war play, etc at all but I had it easy with my kid. He didn't even like superheroes or cops/robbers or any of that typical stuff.
    DD1 age 7 DS age 11
    "I will remember you." July/10
    Baby Elaina born October 28th, 2011. Making every single day that much more special.
    INTERESTED IN BUYING DVDS OF OLD KIDS' SHOWS. Mr.Rogers', Mr.Dressup, Polka Dot Door, etc

Expert Forum User

Honestly I don't even like my husband to play those games. A slightly less violent version of an RPG might be "Goat Simulator". It's rated 9+

I'd recommend reading about Call of Duty on the Common Sense Media website. My son is 12 and I do not let him play Call of Duty. He can, however, play Destiny and Halo Reach, but I read about these games beforehand and watched him play them for a bit (so I knew what he was seeing in the games).

I am not happy about these games, as I do not see their attraction and I do not like the use of guns ... but I certainly am not the target audience! I also have chats with him about the meaning within the games. We have clear rules as to the amount of screen time he can have each day. We have discussed the larger issues - how video game companies make money, how they are designed to be addictive, etc. - and I find it helps him to put any requests he has into context, and sometimes he changes his mind about whether he wants a certain game.

Not a chance. I agree with not liking my husband playing them. Killing people. With a young mind. No.

Expert Forum User

My son plays a game on XBox (DS2's dad's) that has him shooting things/people, but it is RPG and not war. He plays Call of Duty at his friend's house. He is almost 12. I personally haven't bought him any games like that, and he normally just plays a soccer game on his ipad.

Expert Forum User

My 12 year old plays these games.

The only ones I have said absolutely no to is the GTA games.

His favorite are the zombie levels.... most of his friends also play with him online.

I've played these games a bit, and although I am not a fan of first-person shooting games for kids, I have folded under the pressure.

Also I will point out that this 12 year old is my youngest and it's sooooo much harder to censor when you have a 17 and 14 year old in the same house.
    momx2 likes this.

Absolutely is! With us it is tv shows that were the challenge. Like eventually I had to let him watch SOMEthing his friends watched. So he was allowed Simpsons. He had to wait til age ten...the girls started watching when he did. Some stuff we keep for when they're in bed but that's such a limited time period.
    Video games might be the same way as there's four years between each kid
    DD1 age 7 DS age 11
    Baby Elaina born October 28th, 2011. Making every single day that much more special.
    INTERESTED IN BUYING DVDS OF OLD KIDS' SHOWS. Mr.Rogers', Mr.Dressup, Polka Dot Door, etc

I agree. My younger two are exposed to so much more at younger ages than my oldest. Thanks for all the advice and experiences everyone. I'm still undecided on how to handle it. It's not as if I believe any game is going to make my laid back happy kid violent. It's more about giving my acceptance to something conveyed in a game that I know in reality is wrong. Yet, he knows the difference too...yeah I still don't know.
    Last edited by Carol; 09-09-2015 at 07:50 PM.

"Why did I not know that birth is the pinnacle where women discover the courage to become mothers?"

I would never allow these violent video games... parents wonder why there are so many school shootings now a days... there are a lot of reasons... its hard when your childs friends play these games... but still I just wouldn't even want my child around friends like that period.

Expert Forum User

I mostly leave my husband in charge of the game playing and my son who is not yet 12 pays these games. We homeschool so he is not getting peer pressure to play these games, he has one friend the same age that is allowed to play the same games so they play together. We have many friends who do not play these games and when they come over my son knows which games they can play together and which ones are off limit.

I have watched my son play these games and what he likes most about them is the environment; his ability to manipulate the environment and try out different things. For instance he says "look mom, when I shoot that window out I can jump up here and crawl in the window" or he shots something and is explodes, he loves grappling hooks. For a long time he did not want to play with anyone or get shot at, he just wanted to run around and explore. The adult games have the best environments! He now plays with his friends and his friend's older brother and they are shooting one another. These are really nice kids who are respectful of other people.

My daughter who is closer to being 12 than my son has no interest in these games, though she has just started playing Laura Croft and I think that is violent.
    Carol likes this.
    Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants.~Michael Pollan, author of In Defense of Food
    If we want to move towards a low-polluting, sustainable society, we need to get consumers to think about their purchases-David Suzuki
    "You must be the change you want to see in the world"- Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by momx2 View Post

I have watched my son play these games and what he likes most about them is the environment; his ability to manipulate the environment and try out different things. For instance he says "look mom, when I shoot that window out I can jump up here and crawl in the window" or he shots something and is explodes, he loves grappling hooks. For a long time he did not want to play with anyone or get shot at, he just wanted to run around and explore. The adult games have the best environments! He now plays with his friends and his friend's older brother and they are shooting one another. These are really nice kids who are respectful of other people.

My daughter who is closer to being 12 than my son has no interest in these games, though she has just started playing Laura Croft and I think that is violent.
    Thanks, this is an interesting take on it and has given me a lot to think about.

Quote Originally Posted by smelltheroses View Post
    I would never allow these violent video games... parents wonder why there are so many school shootings now a days... there are a lot of reasons... its hard when your childs friends play these games... but still I just wouldn't even want my child around friends like that period.
    How old are your kids? Because I have to tell you if you don't want your kids around "friends like that" you're going to be severely limiting your child's friendships in the pre-teen years. I don't believe for one second that violent video games have anything to do with school shootings. It's a media spin on an awful tragedy. Isolation, marginalization, and poor mental health are too blame. If it was games, school shootings would be much more prevalent considering how many kids play. My kids are pretty well balanced; they play sports, ride bikes, play outside and have many other interests.
    gogomom, Ingalls, LaLa and 1 others like this.

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by smelltheroses View Post
    its hard when your childs friends play these games... but still I just wouldn't even want my child around friends like that period.
    That is going to be very difficult IMO.
    My child is in Grade 7 at public school here in London - there are 3 Grade 7 classes - I would hazard a guess (based on the kids my DS is online with) that well over half are playing games like COD.
    There are several in that grade that play GTA too, it's just that's where I drew the line. I don't allow my 17 year old to even play GTA because I don't want glorified drug use and sex trade workers on my TV.

I have to say, in our last neighbourhood we went to a few birthday parties for kids younger than my son. I'm talking 7th, 8th, around that age. About four different families in the neighbourhood.
    Their uncles, aunts, cousins all brought gifts that were from shows or games my kids weren't allowed to see. I was shocked because I thought these were 'nice' kids and not 'kids like that'....but I
    realised that there is no 'kid like that'. It doesn't define the child unless the child is obsessive about it, or from a home where that's all they do to interact with people.
    In all the times they'd played in the yard with tehse kids, or I'd taken them to parks with me, we'd never spoke of these games or movies. They weren't a huge deal to them.
    To ME, it seemed shocking.
    I guess what i'm tryign to say is as your kids get older or you get out around more people you realise that there are different priorities or interests. For example, I don't like my kid playing games where they are war based or shooting at humans. To me, I just don't see the need to be pretending that. I wouldn't be upset if he played it at a friend's once in a blue moon, though, because I know the child I've raised well enough to knowi t isn't going to change him. But other people might see it as being worse that he watches shows like Dr.Who, where there's a lot of beloved characters who die or 'the world is ending!' or so on....or the occasional episode of Supernatural or Bones, which are gruesome in their own ways. It doesn't mean either of us are right or wrong.
    DD1 age 7 DS age 11

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast