Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By a_bun_in_the_oven

Thread: Byron Southwood mamas?

Default Byron Southwood mamas?

I know this so late but I still haven't decided if my boy is going to JK. He's registered just in case (last minute as I had planned to keep him home). I'm torn though and would love thoughts from others whose LOs have gone to kindergarten at Byron southwood. Input on specific teachers, the class, schedule, etc? Thank you ladies!!

Expert Forum User

I've got a daughter in SK this year, and one that is starting 3rd grade. The older one started the FDK in her SK year and did every other day for JK.

My kids really love all the different activities. They get to input on what they want to do that month (eg, build a castle play centre, visit Tim Horton, have a Lemonade stand, etc). They do lots of field trips, there are lots of activities in class as well (pottery in class, authors, etc).

Byron Southwood is using the standard school day model currently (so a lunch and 2 snacks). FDK kids do spend a lot of time outside (beyond recesses).

If you have any special needs concerns (my middle has hearing and speech issue) I have found the support available top notch. We had a failed hearing exam and within 2 weeks an FM system was in the class.

My oldest in SK had an interest in science (how the earth began, space, how the earth will chance in the future), and they embraced it. They helped her find age appropriate books for her to read and bring home. They let her do a presentation on it on her "special me" day too (which she loves).
    elvira likes this.

my daughter is entering SK this year and she is turning 5 this month. Last year she was in JK and done great. So far school experience and all has had a positive impact on her.
    and yes they go on a lot of field trips. last year alone I think there was like 6 field trips!

maybe your little boy will end up in my daughter's class, who knows