Default how to buy maternity jeans

Ladies,

how do i buy maternity jeans when i dont know how much weight i will be gaining? typically how many sizes up should i be buying? dotn think its a good idea to buy the same size i used to wear bc that wont last long...

Mat jeans have a panel that expands with your tummy. You buy the size that fits and then the panel just grows. If you are expecting twins, or gain more than the recommended amount than you can buy a size up. I am a size 4, my mat pants were all xs, sm or size 4 and I gained 45+ and still fit into my mat pants that I bought at 5 months (when my regular ones would no longer fit)

Expert Forum User

yea I still bought my normal size even though I gained in the hips, they still fit.

Expert Forum User

I actually sized down... (eg, was a 14, bought 12s -- or was normally an XL and bought an L). I gain on the lower side of normal (even though my last 2 have been 8.5lb babies).

Eg, with my last pregnancy I was wearing a size 16 pant pre-pregnancy and was swimming in XL mat pants at 9mo pregnant as I only gained 19-20lbs. I went back to my L/12s that I wore with my first pregnancy and they were perfect.
    Last edited by a_bun_in_the_oven; 09-01-2015 at 08:38 AM.

Just stop in at Thyme Maternity and ask a salesperson. They have a fake belly you can put on that will add 3 months to your current pregnancy. This allows you to try pants on and determine your pregnancy size.

Expert Forum User

You are supposed to be able to purchase the size that you normally wear, ex. small. Then you do up the adjustable waist at the tightest and let it out as you grow - like the children's pants.

This does work with normal weight gain. I found I started with small jeans on the tightest waist, then towards the end of my pregnancy buy 1 pair XL maternity jeans and some XL jogging pants. But, I get extreme swelling and gain 60-70lbs each time. I end up with pre-eclampsia by the end.

Expert Forum User

I just bought my normal size with the panel. Try some on and see how they fit. I rolled the panel down until my tummy got bigger.

Hailey - April 2008
    Scarlett - April 2012
    Troy - July 2014
    *Currently enrolled in the Perinatal Support Practitioner program through Babies Naturally and looking to attend births as a student doula. Please message me for details!*