Expert Forum User

Default before and after/ 1st grade

I have 2 questions.... does my child need anything for grade 1? he didn't need anything for SK so I don't want to buy stuff he won't need.

Also, I have the kids registered for before and after care but now I'm wondering if it will be cheaper to get a student or parent take them in the mornings and I could pick them up after school but where can I find people offering this? do I talk to the school or is there somewhere online where people post about it?

Expert Forum User

It depends how the teacher has them set up for 1st grade. Some a bin between 4-6 desks, some do individual desks.

My daughter definitely had a pencil case in 1st grade, plus the same stuff she brought for JK (clothes, kleenex, back pack, lunch pail, indoor shoes).

Expert Forum User

For grade 1, most classes will have their own desk, and therefore like their own crayons and markers (coloured pencils - if she likes them). Pencils and erasers and maybe a sharpener. She could also use a pencil case or just keep crayons in their box. You could also buy a ruler, if you wanted.

Most places have sales on now, and Dollarama has 24 crayola crayons for $1.50 and no name coloured pencils for $1.50 and crayola markers. Plus pencils, erasers, and sharpeners for $1

For care you could look on kijiji or daycare bear I think it's called.

Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

in my experience first grade teachers don't like markers and ask they be kept at home. Pencils, pencil crayons ( crayola $1.96 for 24 at Walmart) pencil case or box, ruler, scissors, eraser and a pencil sharpener are a good bet. Indoor shoes, lunch bag and backpack are all pretty standard. Some schools ask for kleenex and hand sanitizor as well.

As for child care ask around your neighbourhood. Is there a student or two who are in grades 6,7,8 that could do it? Just make sure you keep your spot in the before and after care until you secure other care.
    Your life is a result of the choices you make, if you don't like your life it's time to start making better choices.

My oldest is going into grade one and I've bought him a pencil case, crayons, pencils, a rule, glue and some other basics. I won't be sending it to school though until we get something from his teacher saying exactly what's needed. I believe I will also have to buy him a planner through the school

Expert Forum User

We didn't buy too much for gr. 1. Like others said. Some teachers prefer assortment of supplies and each family brings in what they can.
    DS June 2007
    DD April 2010

"No influence is so powerful as that of the mother."- Sarah Josepha Hale

I would keep the before and after care. It is really reasonable and probably cheaper than a parent. It is also great because you never have to worry about provider being ill as there will be someone available. These programs are usually hard to get in to and if you give up your spot, it will likely be given away quickly. I loved the program at my daughter's school and always felt that she was safe and happy. Some basic supplies are a good idea. Staples has a general list by grade that you can refer to as a guide.

Expert Forum User

For two kids it is almost $900 a month plus $67 for PD days... I'm finding that a bit unreasonable. They go to a fairly small school and there are not many kids in the program so I'm not too concerned if I ended up having to put them back in at some point. I'm just really stressed out about it all like how am I still paying almost half my income to child care even though they are in school?? it's crazy.

I'll check out the Staples list, thanks!

There is a Facebook group called LONDON & AREA HOME CHILDCARE. You can post an ad there and try to find someone.

Expert Forum User

Thank you, I was trying to find that group but couldn't remember what it was called.