Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By ShannonRN
  • 3 Post By llubberts
  • 1 Post By a_bun_in_the_oven

Thread: Tampons -- gah! ack! questions!

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Default Tampons -- gah! ack! questions!

So you know how everyone raved and raved and raved about Diva cups.....until that recent fb post went viral about how horrid they are, and suddenly people started to
    confess that they have had tons of problems with them, too? (sound, removal, insertion, comfort, leaks, etc). Well. Tell me the ACTUAL truth about tampons, please.
    I've never used one. I feel like, I'd just end up wearing pads 'just in case' anyway, so what's the difference. BUT.
    My kids don't get to go anywhere all year unless dh is here to drive us, and he's on holidays, and I got my freaking period.
    We did the beach last week but we wait ALL year to go to East Park's waterslides, and we had planned more beach excursions too, so I might have to
    wear a tampon.

Do they leak?
    How do you know when it's in the right spot, like not too far up, or too low? HOW?
    Do tehy leak if you're doing stuff like walking up fifty stairs to the waterslides and sliding down waterslides and doing it all over again and again? Can they shift from that kind of
    stuff?
    What kind is best?
    Do I want like, super flow!, or is there any difference?
    ANY advice appreciated.

(and I did ask my mommy. She's never worn one, either!)
    DD1 age 7 DS age 11
    "I will remember you." July/10
    Baby Elaina born October 28th, 2011. Making every single day that much more special.
    INTERESTED IN BUYING DVDS OF OLD KIDS' SHOWS. Mr.Rogers', Mr.Dressup, Polka Dot Door, etc

Expert Forum User

I want to start his by saying I have had no issues with my Diva cup... I still use it regularly and although it took a LOT of practice to get it to work perfectly, it does in fact - work perfectly...

Tampons - I am not a huge fan, I have a very heavy flow on the 2nd to 4th days with lots of clotting and I can not use a tampon during that time and think it's going to protect me for more than an hour. IF I am going to use a tampon the size you use would correspond to the size of pad you use... if you need an overnight pad during the day (I do) then I would defiantly go with the supers. If you only need a liner, then the light would work just fine.

I have had leaking from tampons, but if you change them regularly, it shouldn't really be an issue.

Right spot - experiment a little - the entire thing goes in except the string, I try to get it as far as possible - I can't feel it all once it's inserted.

Unless it's "full" it shouldn't shift or leak from walking up stairs, being athletic, etc.....
    Last edited by gogomom; 08-25-2015 at 11:07 AM. Reason: spelling..

I have a Diva cup but I find that I have lots of problems with it. I don't think my insides are quite long enough. It never goes in far enough and always feels like it's falling out. I haven't used it much, so maybe I just don't have the hang of it.

As for tampons, if you've never worn one before I would suggest starting with o.b. brand. It's much easier to learn how to get it in with your finger than with an applicator (in my opinion). You will know it's in far enough if it doesn't feel like it's falling out while you're walking.

Thanks!

I think I will experiment with trying them around home some first.

Unfortunately we have a lot going on this week. Visitation and funeral and some other stuff so i will have to remember to try them when home in the evenings.

I'd like to be a good example for my girls too, and be able to help them with them if they'd like to wear tampons. I'd hate to see them miss out on as much as I have over the years from
    having periods.
    Course I never got regular periods and then suddenly this month I had one, then almost 3 weeks later started another. WTH. NOT the time to start this b.s. body! argh
    DD1 age 7 DS age 11
    "I will remember you." July/10
    Baby Elaina born October 28th, 2011. Making every single day that much more special.
    INTERESTED IN BUYING DVDS OF OLD KIDS' SHOWS. Mr.Rogers', Mr.Dressup, Polka Dot Door, etc

Expert Forum User

yeah i love the diva cup and use one for 3 years now. can't ever see myself going to anything else. once you figure it out its so easy.

I started with the least absorbent tampon and with the pearl applicator. Goes in best and smoothest. I would buy one pack of those just to get the hang of inserting them. You'll be able to use the extras up on light flow days. I forget exactly if it was pearl but I think it was. Some applicators are flushable, some not. Figure that out. Some people never flush them.

Then I would also buy tampax super plus. Use those for the heaviest days. They are less easy to get in once you first start using tampons but also I was very young and I know that made a difference. Just follow the very detailed instructions that come in the box and you will be fine. If you have it in right, you will know because you won't be able to feel it.
    Last edited by my2babies; 08-25-2015 at 02:23 PM.

Don't use an absorbance level higher then you have to because that will up your chances of getting TSS. I usually buy one pack of super plus and then the multi pack of all different absorbencies.

Expert Forum User

I know some people use them every period day, but I only use them when having to swim.
    They don't leak unless full. They should slide in without issue and you can put them as high as they can go, but if your period is really light then you will want a really small one as it may not slide in nicely if things are too dry.

I think there used to be multi-packs that have a variety of sizes. I would buy that and see what you find works.

If your flow is really heavy that day then you may want a large size, or you will want to change it after an hour. If you have a light day, then you may want to change once while out for the day. You can also change more often if you are concerned with leaking.

I haven't had one leak in a pool while swimming, but they can leak if they get too full. Just in case, I wear a pantiliner while using a tampon (when wearing pants, not a bathing suit, lol).

Expert Forum User

I use them all the time havent used a pad in years and the thought makes me go ick. I use OB they dont have an applicator and you just push it up in there. You can only go so far and you know when it is in correctly because you dont feel it, if it's too low you may feel it when walking and it's an uncomfortable feeling. I use regulars but I have a very light light period. I'v never had a leak with a tampon and don't use any other form of protection.
    I'm

[/B]

^I'm the same...hate pads, they feel like diapers. The only time I'll wear one is overnight on days 2-3 when flow is really heavy; I'll wear a pad over ruining sheets any day.

Start with the smaller tampons and work your way up. Others have suggested using OB because they don't have an applicator...but if you're concerned about not knowing how far to insert them, the applicator helps. Hold it at the base of the thicker part, and when you hit your fingers, push the tampon through the applicator. You can't "go too far," and you can't "lose" it. Actually I find that if I've managed to not insert it high enough, it's uncomfortable.

If you're worried about going through one too quickly, just use a super or a super plus (for days like going to a water park). Using a higher-absorbency tampon than you need for only one day won't hurt you.
    Ingalls likes this.

I have had my diva cup for almost a decade and still love it too. Definitely a learning curve but once you get it is as someone else put it - Perfect. Tampons when they became soiled would leak and begin migrating outward, especially if I was doing any exertive. And I hated when there wasn't enough flow because they felt like I was ripping my inners out when I would go to change them. I also really hate the idea of bleached white cotton inside of me. I purchase the organic ones for my girls who are not ready for the awesomeness that is diva cup. Oh the the price... This is the only diva cup I have purchased. $40 for 10 years of menstruation! Good for the pocketbook and the environment too!
    Looking for a doula? Contact --
    www.babeezeinarms.com

Expert Forum User

I've been the Diva cup for the past 6mo or so. I'm not aware of an anti-diva cup post. Anyway -- I decided to pick one up after stopping at pharma plus and dropping $19 on a pack of pads and a pack of tampons because my cycle just started. The diva cup was on sale $29. I figured if I used it even 2 cycles it would pay for itself.

I'm one of the weirdos that bleeds like a stick pig since having babies even super plus tampons only last 2 hours or so on CD1 for me (needing a backup pad if someone talks to me when it gets close to bathroom time). With a Diva cup I get 4-5 hours which is a lot more manageable when working full time and syncs up a bit better with actually needing to use the rest room.

The only thing that really sucks is the boiling and by CD4 or CD5 I'm happy to get that sucker out of me and just use a pad/pantyliner for any bit of spotting left.

I use tampons for years and years. Started at 14 when AF was set to arrive while I was backcountry camping for 14 days. They were perfect. I used them swimming, I played sports. My life was not restricted at all when AF visited. I did not have absorbency issues until after DD2. I also used OB as my preferred brand, but now I sometimes use the tampex pearl ones too (because of the sticking cotton fiber thing).
    Ingalls likes this.

Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

What. I love my diva. I only have leaks on my heavy day and really, unless I get a bucket nothing gonna contain that day.
    Stop thinking you’re not ready. – Nobody ever feels 100% ready when an opportunity arises. Because most great opportunities in life force us to grow beyond our comfort zones, which means we won’t feel totally comfortable at first.

~ Breastfed for 7 months, 2 weeks and 3 days ~