Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Chantelle

Thread: child spacing?

Default child spacing?

Our dd is 3 our ds is 1 (September). I am just wondering when I want to try to conceive again. Anyone out there who has a larger gap between same sex siblings.. did you find a larger gap better or worse as far as how well they play together etc?

I am wondering wut has been better for others a 4 year gap or 5 year gap between same sex siblings.

I have a 5 yr old, a 2.5 yr old (3 in October) and a 7 month old. My first 2 are exactly 2.5 yrs apart and the next 2 are 2 yrs and 4 months apart. They are all girls. I find that a perfect gap. The 2 oldest are best friends and play really well together. They all love their baby sister. I like that by the time the next one came the older one was toilet trained and could tell me what they need.

Expert Forum User

We have 3.75 between DD2 and DD3. They love each other, they've actually always been awesome together so far.

DD1 and DD2 however do not get along (a month shy of 3 years).

Expert Forum User

Mine are just under 3 yrs apart. I like it for the most part. They fight quite a bit now, but old enough to enjoy a lot of the same things.
    I think a lot of it depends on their personality. With only 2 kids, it might be different. My one friend has one sibling, and they are 6 yrs apart. She said it was too much growing up, they were at different stages in life. (starting highschool, her sis was only in gr 3). They didn't really have much in common until the youngest was in high school. Now they are great friends.

In a family with 3 girls, sometimes two youngest are like peas in a pod, or sometimes the oldest and the youngest as they grow become closer. I find same gender can be quite competitive with eachother. Good and Bad.
    I wouldn't wait too long. I think 2-3 yrs is a good gap.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

My girls are four years apart. They play great together, AND they fight a lot.
    Sometimes they can be up in their rooms playing together for hours and other times they fight over everysinglething.
    However, it sure has some advantages. Like she loves to read to her sister, and will sit and read her story after story, so that's adorable and good for them both.
    It also means that middle kid gets to stay a kid longer, as she might be kinda outgrowing something, but still get to play it 'for her sister'.
    DD1 age 7 DS age 11
    "I will remember you." July/10
    Baby Elaina born October 28th, 2011. Making every single day that much more special.
    INTERESTED IN BUYING DVDS OF OLD KIDS' SHOWS. Mr.Rogers', Mr.Dressup, Polka Dot Door, etc

Expert Forum User

DD1 and DD2 are 4 yrs apart and we love it. DD1 was really into having a baby around when she turned 4 and wanted to help, etc. Then as they've gotten older they have played really well together. B/c DD2 has seen her older sister playing with disney princess, barbies, my little pony, lego, etc. she basically skipped the toddler toys and has played with similar stuff as her big sister. They rarely fight, but DD1 is very patient and knows that DD2 is still little.

When DD1 turned 3 yo DH and I started talking about when we wanted to try and conceive again. We had thought about waiting one more year, but we had a couple of m/c's and I didn't know if I'd want to try again soon after if something happened again.

Our son is just over 26 months apart from DD2 and was a surprise baby. We have found that age gap a lot harder. It could be our middle child's personality coupled with the fact that we felt like 4 years apart was so easy in comparison.

Hailey - April 2008
    Scarlett - April 2012
    Troy - July 2014
    *Currently enrolled in the Perinatal Support Practitioner program through Babies Naturally and looking to attend births as a student doula. Please message me for details!*

Expert Forum User

Mine are 10, 6, and one on the way.
    SpringChicks likes this.

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by Chantelle View Post
    Mine are 10, 6, and one on the way.
    Congrats. I didn't know you were expecting.

Expert Forum User

Thanks! Due February 27th, really hoping I don't have a leap year baby.

Expert Forum User

I have three boys - they are DS#1 - 3Y 6M older than DS#2 - 1Y 6M older than DS#3.

The 2nd and 3rd are best friends - they fight sometimes too, but I like that I can send them to camp together, if we are going somewhere they both have an automatic playmate.
    The oldest really isn't that interested in the youngest at all, he's starting to spend a little more time with DS#2, because they are both at high school next year.

Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

Our two are 4 yrs 2 mths and 4 days apart. The gap is great for the most part. They are 12 and 8 and the biggest issue we have is the 12 yr old trying to mother the 8 yr old! It likely stems from the 12 yr old babysitting the 8 yr old. They are good friends though. They are so sweet together. they don't really fight. It's more of sniping at each other.
    Last edited by one ordinary girl; 08-24-2015 at 10:30 AM.
    Your life is a result of the choices you make, if you don't like your life it's time to start making better choices.