Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By LaLa
  • 1 Post By gogomom

Thread: My teenager was in a fight yesterday......

Expert Forum User

Default My teenager was in a fight yesterday......

So my idiot teenager meets a kid at a park yesterday with the purpose of fighting. They fight, record it and then he posts it on Facebook. My kid was not hurt... the other kid was bleeding a bit, but it doesn't look like he was really hurt either.

I lost my mind a little and the kid is on restriction to the point I'm sending him to my brothers in Ottawa for the last 2 weeks of the summer. I'm seriously considering changing his school... I am totally against fighting - I really believe that words work and I am beyond angry with him right now.

This is all because some guy said he was going to "curb stomp" my DS's girlfriend.

Just a rant, not really looking for advice, I've already done my over-reacting.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Ugh. My boys are still little but I'm sure something equally stupid is in the future at some point. Breathe, have a glass of wine or two and ground his ass to Ottawa for 2 weeks. Changing his school might be a bit drastic though...think about it when you're calm.
    Cole is 8 years old! January, 2005
    Nate is 5 years old! January, 2008
    Judah is 2 years old! October, 2010
    Avery Grace born & passed Feb 4, 2007.

"Why did I not know that birth is the pinnacle where women discover the courage to become mothers?"
    Anita Diamant (The Red Tent)

Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

I'm not condoning it, but these things happen. I like the Ottawa cool off time. I might change his fb password so he can't log on if that's how he's going to use it...and eventually give him the new password.

Cutting communication for teenagers is often a big enough punishment. No phone. No fb. No IG. Etc...

Changing schools, nope. I don't think that would do anything unless this is a reoccuring thing with another kid. And even then, I think I'd stay with the same school.
    Stop thinking you’re not ready. – Nobody ever feels 100% ready when an opportunity arises. Because most great opportunities in life force us to grow beyond our comfort zones, which means we won’t feel totally comfortable at first.

~ Breastfed for 7 months, 2 weeks and 3 days ~

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by Carol View Post
    Changing his school might be a bit drastic though...think about it when you're calm.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChinUp View Post
    Changing schools, nope. I don't think that would do anything unless this is a reoccuring thing with another kid. And even then, I think I'd stay with the same school.
    I'm not quite as angry as I was when I first posted, so the threat to change schools is likely an empty one.
    That said, he doesn't see it as a big deal - he thinks it's funny and I want to get through to him how serious I find this situation... so I left it out there with him when he told me he would "not be going" to Ottawa. He only agreed to go to Ottawa without a hassle because of this threat.

You could always call the non emerge police number and see if they ha r an off duty officer who could come and scare the living daylights out of your child, let him know about what would happen if the other kid filed a police report ect. Kids will be kids but now a days the truth is that their actions can have severe consequences. We've all read the articles that show sometimes it's just one punch that changes the whole outcome of your life. One wrong punch and the other guy is paralyzed or worse, and you are responsible. Because he is not taking this seriously I would see if the police can have a chat with him, or provide you with some resources.
    Annmomofboys likes this.

Was anything done about the threat toward his girlfriend? I curb stomping is what I think it is, I knew a guy in h/s who had that done to him and was in hospital for weeks because it so badly
    shattered his jaw, cheek bone, and fractured his skull! that'sa serious freaking threat.

That would be worrying me more right now, than a fight they taped. At least taping it, it's less likely he can be charged or accused of anything y'know? It shows it was two ways. But this kid
    who is treatening shit like that....he would worry me.
    DD1 age 7 DS age 11
    "I will remember you." July/10
    Baby Elaina born October 28th, 2011. Making every single day that much more special.
    INTERESTED IN BUYING DVDS OF OLD KIDS' SHOWS. Mr.Rogers', Mr.Dressup, Polka Dot Door, etc

Expert Forum User

I like LaLa's suggestion of calling and speaking to the police, and seeing if someone will come out and speak to him about it. This way the officer can explain the real consequences that can be faced. Maybe don't mention a video right away, but ask him what could happen if there was a video of both of them.
    I know my son is 12 and feels he could never be charged with anything until he is 18 or he would just have to go to "juvie" which would mean living with other kids - ideas he has gotten from tv shows.

Quote Originally Posted by LaLa View Post
    You could always call the non emerge police number and see if they ha r an off duty officer who could come and scare the living daylights out of your child, let him know about what would happen if the other kid filed a police report ect.
    I know it sounds good and a generation or two ago yep the cops would be all over helping but now a days it would be automatic charges are filed and thats not what folks need or want.

the only thing I would be worrying about now is how many other kids have that video and are showing it off if it off.

Expert Forum User

What is curb stomping?

If it is what it used to be, you put the person's mouth over a curb and stomp on their head.
    It shatters teeth, skull, jaw...It's horrid.
    DD1 age 7 DS age 11
    "I will remember you." July/10
    Baby Elaina born October 28th, 2011. Making every single day that much more special.
    INTERESTED IN BUYING DVDS OF OLD KIDS' SHOWS. Mr.Rogers', Mr.Dressup, Polka Dot Door, etc

I didn't know what curb stomping was either actually and I have a teen girl.

Expert Forum User

Thanks guys - I was so angry about it, and I really needed the rant.

I am not going to call the police - the last thing the kids need is this escalated - the other kid has already spent some time in lockup and he's expelled from school, so the threat of involving the police has got him "underground" - he deleted his Facebook account etc..... I don't really think he is an ongoing threat to my kid and his girlfriend.

My kid is in Ottawa until labour day weekend with my brother, so hopefully he has some time to think about it.

The only thing I'm still stewing over is that he didn't come to me with the "curb stomping" threat or anything before it escalated.
    Last edited by gogomom; 08-24-2015 at 08:41 AM. Reason: words......
    ChinUp likes this.