Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: What gym to join?

Default What gym to join?

I'd really like to join a gym, I'm leaning towards Movati but would like to know others' experiences. What gyms do you all like and also how much do you pay a month?

Thanks so much!

I've never been in Movati, but have heard great things. I did belong to GoodLife at Southdale and Colonel Talbot Rd and was not impressed, it was brand new and there were broken down machines all the time.

Expert Forum User

I've been at Movati for years and really like it - always always clean which is important to me.

The last few years I've noticed more space is devoted to personal training which makes the main floor a bit cramped when it's busy .... But I generally work out early early in the am so it hasn't been a real issue.

They seem to have a variety of classes and everyone is friendly!

Expert Forum User

I love the Stoneycreek Y, I know the child care and children's classes while I enjoy my classes is a big plus for me, but even by myself I love the variety of classes offered and at all different times of day. It is clean and had new machines put in last winter even though the old ones were only 4 years old. I like most of the staff as well.
    mum-to-a&m and SpringChicks like this.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

I used to go to Fitness Forum before I moved. Oh crap I actually haven't cancelled my membership! doh! Anyway it is about forty a month. I liked the gym itself in that, being someone who is
    overweight, not athletic, and shy, it wasn't intimidating. Everyone was friendly, and it is less fish-bowly than a lot of places. There's no grocery store attached or wall of windows open to a busy sidewalk or anything like that.
    The classes are good, too.
    But, it is definitely not new and shiney and fancy. So depends what you want in a gym. The pool is really nice. It is glass enclosed but private and nice when it's snowing or raining out, to be in
    a heated pool, enjoying the weather while you work out.
    DD1 age 7 DS age 11
    "I will remember you." July/10
    Baby Elaina born October 28th, 2011. Making every single day that much more special.
    INTERESTED IN BUYING DVDS OF OLD KIDS' SHOWS. Mr.Rogers', Mr.Dressup, Polka Dot Door, etc

I love GoodLife and have either worked or belonged to all of the major gyms in the city at one point and time. I have to respectfully disagree with Calsmom about the one at Colonel Talbot and Southdale because I feel that it is the nicest gym in the city. It offers everything except a pool. The hours are fantastic, classes are numerous and great, childcare hours are flexible and although there may be a couple of machines under repair at any given time, there are more cardio machines to choose from than anywhere else and every weight machine has a double as well so you are never going to miss using something. With so many machines and so many members using them, there are going to be repairs needed sometimes. Goodlife has the most locations as well so as long as you get the membership that allows you to use them all, you can work out wherever you want. I do like Fitness Forum and what was formerly "The Athletic Club' as well but as Ingalls mentioned, the options are less here and it really depends on your own needs. If you need a pool, don't choose Goodlife unless you want to go downtown or to Oxford and Adelaide location all the time. But for convenience and flexibility as well as great cardio theatre (Endless TV options on your screen attached to your cardio machine), join one of the newer Goodlife locations. I previously posted that the FIT4LESS locations were nice enough and adequate for basic workout needs and I will stand by that. However, I rarely go there because they don't have the extras that make a workout more enjoyable and I am just not as comfortable there personally. It is the most affordable option though and your membership is secure there because it is run well . I cancelled my Y membership. In my opinion, it doesn't come close to the other gyms in any areas other than the pool (which is the best by far if you are looking for pool only.) The Y is also the best family option if you family is going to use it. My daughter hated it there and my husband doesn't go to the gym so for me it wasn't the best option!
    Last edited by dexter6; 08-03-2015 at 09:17 AM.

Expert Forum User

It has been about 3 years since I went and it was called Athletic Club, so I don't know how much it has changed. I LOVED it and wish I had the time and money to rejoin.

What I loved about it was that it offered HOT yoga at the North Wonderland location (I just googled and the Goodlife Downtown offers it now, but it doesn't seem the others do). I have hot yoga places near me and the monthly prices are so ridiculous that it makes me think about how much excess money we have in our country and is not something I will ever be able to afford, so the option of taking classes at a gym opens the option to others.

I live very close to the South location and the drive to the North isn't bad. I used to go the North for classes and a workout, but just go to the South if I was only going to workout.
    The passes used to be for all locations (not sure if they still are), so if I was at my parents for a week I could still go to the gym (it was about a 30 minute drive away though).

The gym used to also have a family swim on the weekends for 2 hours so I could bring my kids swimming.

I used both the daycares when my son was an infant and had no issues.

They are basically 24 hours (but close at 8pm Saturday and Sunday nights).

Thanks for all your responses. Just online, the classes at Movati look a lot better than Goodlife, specifically at the North location. I emailed them and they said membership gives you access to any location. She also quoted me a price of $17.95 (+tax) bi-weekly plus a registration fee of $49.98 which she said is half off this month. It wasn't clear whether the $49.98 is already the discounted price or whether that's the full registration fee and it's half off from that. I'll probably go visit Movati and Goodlife to check them out before I decide.

Quote Originally Posted by dexter6 View Post
    I have to respectfully disagree with Calsmom about the one at Colonel Talbot and Southdale because I feel that it is the nicest gym in the city. It offers everything except a pool.
    I'll disagree as well. I've never seen more than one piece of equipment that wasn't working at any given time. It's super clean; the machines are dusted and/or wiped down daily. I think it's a great gym!

Expert Forum User

I was a member of the Athletic club for over 10 yrs (now Movati). I loved it there! I cancelled when we moved, and sold my membership rate to a new member (the club agrees with that). My rate was great, about $28/mth. They deduct a couple dollars for each referral you make, plus ask about corporate rates. Maybe check on Kijji etc to see if another member wants to transfer for a better rate.

I don't have a membership right now. I find it's too busy with kids activities/work etc. We use the treadmill in the basement and run outside in nice weather.
    Some friends like the Fit for Less, bc it is cheap, and a nice place to use cardio machines. But, not good if you want all machines/classes etc.

My advice is pick a spot that is close enough that you will use it.
    dexter6 likes this.

I agree with tinydancer that convenience is key. If the driving and parking is annoying then you are less likely to be a frequent member. For me, the downtown Y parking was a nightmare and I hated the drive.

Expert Forum User

Agree with PPs that say pick what is convenient. A large scale gym is basically the same as any other. There are many that I would love to workout at -- smaller gyms with great lifting / strength training facilities. But I know myself and the only way I drag my ass to the gym at 545am is because it literally takes me less than 1 minute to drive there.
    Last edited by mamalondon; 08-12-2015 at 10:26 AM.
    dexter6 likes this.

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by ShannonRN View Post
    I'll disagree as well. I've never seen more than one piece of equipment that wasn't working at any given time. It's super clean; the machines are dusted and/or wiped down daily. I think it's a great gym!
    This. There is a woman who spends an entire shift going around cleaning. It's impressive. Today one of the stairmasters was under repair -- EGAD! None of the other kazillion machines as far as I could see. The weight section never has any components out of commission.

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by HighD View Post
    Thanks for all your responses. Just online, the classes at Movati look a lot better than Goodlife, specifically at the North location. I emailed them and they said membership gives you access to any location. She also quoted me a price of $17.95 (+tax) bi-weekly plus a registration fee of $49.98 which she said is half off this month. It wasn't clear whether the $49.98 is already the discounted price or whether that's the full registration fee and it's half off from that. I'll probably go visit Movati and Goodlife to check them out before I decide.
    You should be able to haggle out of that registration fee.

Quote Originally Posted by mamalondon View Post
    You should be able to haggle out of that registration fee.
    Do you have any tips on how to haggle out of the registration fee? I'm super non-confrontational and they told me that this is the best deal of the year - the 49.98 is the discounted price on enrollment (normally 99.95). And I've never belonged to a gym before, I'm really new to fitness but really want to get in shape, I'd love your advice on how to get a better deal!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast