Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Pomegranate

Thread: Orthodontist

Expert Forum User

Default Orthodontist

We are now at the point in our kids lives that they need orthodontic care. Our dentist referred us to a very nice place. I was kinda blown away by how much we have to pay up front for treatments. Benefits will give us half back.

I am wondering if there are cheaper options?

Please say yes!!!

Expert Forum User

Not likely any cheaper options. Check your benefits for lifetime maximums. It is likely $2500 maximum reimbursement per person (so you will get 50% back up to $2500; so if the total is $6000 you will be paying $3500). They will pay 50% per payment, so if you are on a payment plan of $200 per month you will get $100 back per month. If your maximum is more than $2500, you are very lucky. Make sure you get all of your quotes in and track your reimbursements. I dread this, DD1 will be referred next year.
    AuntPetunia likes this.

Expert Forum User

I have one in braces and one that will be getting them in the fall.
    We see Dr. Tesseyman in Byron.

My benefits do not cover major dental.
    I had to pay $1395.00 for treatment to begin, I pay $220.00 per month - supposed to be 20 months, but we've had a couple of issues so it will actually be 4 additional months ($880 more than my quote), and a final fee of $575.00 when the braces are removed. When it's all said and done his orthodontic work (not counting retainers or additional visits after the braces are removed) will be around $7250.00 total.

My daughter also sees Dr.Tesseyman . He is great. Her braces were $7000.00 and that is with the 5% discount for paying all in full. We don't have any coverage for this either but I actually expected worse. Her treatment will take two years so I was expecting about $10000.00. I think it's about the same everywhere in London and based on what treatments are necessary. Previously, she had some other kind of expander but I can't even remember how much that was.

Expert Forum User

My dd just got phase 1 of her braces a month ago. She is going back today to get the bottom appliance out on. My benefits covers $1800 lifetime. I had to pay $1000 up front and the n they bill me $300 a month for 6 months. It's not too bad as it just comes out of my account then I submit to benefits and get reimbursed 50%. We see Dr. Jindal, she is very nice and so are all her staff. They seem amazing with kids. Very patient and explain everything as they go.
    Shannon

Nothing is Impossible, if you just Believe

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Our lifetime coverage for Orthodontics is $2500 per person. My oldest son had to get a rapid pallet expander & then retainer put in a couple of years ago & currently our youngest son wears braces on 4 teeth & then will be getting a retainer that can be taken out. The Orthodontist has already told us down the road, he is going to also need a fake tooth put in That is going to be major $$$$ Our insurance company covers 50% of the ortho right now. Each boys treatment is/was about $1400-$1500 but I am glad we at least have some coverage for this. I think by the sounds of it, it's farily typical to have only this amount (or in some cases less or none) of coverage for Ortho.

Expert Forum User

Does anyone know? If say both parents have dental coverage can you use both policies?

Expert Forum User

Yes, you can coordinate dental benefits. I would call both providers and get specific instructions. They probably have a predetermination process.

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by 2boysmom View Post
    he is going to also need a fake tooth put in
    My oldest was missing an adult tooth in the front of his mouth - I have been getting quotes, but it looks like it's going to be around $3500 for the post and tooth.
    We thought about a bridge because it would be like half the cost, but it's right in front and he's young enough to get use out of a permanent implant.

Expert Forum User

Call Schulich Dental once school starts back up. They have orthodontic students and charge about 60% of the cost. My son went there for regular cleanings and had a quick ortho consult last year, but I don't know much about their orthodonics, yet.

Youngest DS went here Orthodontist London ON | Smith Orthodontics I have nothing but good things to say about them. We were on a payment plan of $200 a month with initial payments up front of about $450 something. The payments were the total and then we submitted them to our insurer to reimbursed half.
    Last edited by Beta; 07-16-2015 at 04:48 PM.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Our Orthodontist is charging us $100 a month on a payment plan, which is approx 10 months (add to that the $350-$400 we had to pay up front in 1 shot). We submit it online to our insurance company & they reimburse us in approx 2 days.

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by melissawilliam View Post
    Call Schulich Dental once school starts back up. They have orthodontic students and charge about 60% of the cost. My son went there for regular cleanings and had a quick ortho consult last year, but I don't know much about their orthodonics, yet.
    Schulich is much cheaper but you have to get on a wait list. We go there as our regular dentist. My oldest was put on the wait list 18 months ago (as soon as they knew he'd need them knowing there was a 2-3 year wait) and got his expander last fall. Braces are approx. $3000 there, and his expander was $420 for all the appointments.
    Last edited by sardam; 08-24-2015 at 11:31 PM.