Default Overwhelmed with Pump Choices.

Just wondered if anyone had any feedback about different pumps? I'm looking to pump occasionally, so I can have some time off here and there. I'd like a double pump for time reasons. My inclination is to buy used (because I buy everyhing used and think I would faint at store prices), but I am so hesitant. What is best? MEdela? Lanisoh? Evenflo? There are too many!

Do you have the baby already and breastfeeding? Is this your first child, or do you have others you have breastfed before?

I totally don't know how costly/annoying it is to rent, but maybe consider renting too?

Breastfeeding

I breastfed all my kids, and used a manual pump for the super rare occasion. I found it really tiring!! So by the third one, I gave him formula for the super odd time I had to go out. If you haven't had your baby, I would wait and see how your breastfeeding goes/how often you will actually need it.

I had a Medela double electric that I borrowed from a friend and then I bought a double electric Ameda. I loved them both. You can buy used, just buy all new tubing and stuff for it. I can use all the Medela things I bought for my Ameda too. Double electric is the way to go. I hate pumping and haven't done it often with baby #3 (she's 5 months now).

Expert Forum User

I have a medela free style, which is awesome -- but I bought it for 50% off and it was still $200. I also have an avent manaul that I also had really good luck with as well.

If it's very occational, I'd probably buy a manual. Consider checking out loblaws/superstore and seeing if any of them are marked down. I know I saw a medela manual for $25 when I was in not that long ago.

It's too bad that milk diva is gone -- they had awesome prices on ameda pumps (which are really awesome as well). I want to say $150 for a double electric.

A breastpump is one of the things I would probably not buy used, they aren't closed systems (unless they are rentals).

Expert Forum User

I have both a Medela Swing electric pump and a Avent manual pump. I use the manual pump more but I also rarely pump with this baby. I used the electric pump a lot when I was away from my first baby more often during grad school. There are definitely benefits to both but the manual pump is a lot less money as well.

Hailey - April 2008
    Scarlett - April 2012
    Troy - July 2014
    *Currently enrolled in the Perinatal Support Practitioner program through Babies Naturally and looking to attend births as a student doula. Please message me for details!*

Expert Forum User

You said you want to pump "occasionally". The Medela and those are top of the line and are needed if you plan to pump regularly, or go to work early and will pump more than bf.

I used the http://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/the-firs...6000011489160k but apparently it is now out of stock. You could always contact the company and see if they still sell it. The First Years Quiet Expressions Plus Double Electric Breast Pump | Walmart Canada This may be the newer type from that one. I only paid $100 for mine and when the valve on 1 didn't work they sent me new valves in the mail and I had them within a week - for free. It was an electric double pump and worked great for my occasional use and when I returned to work at 11 months and pumped once a day.

I borrowed an Ameda Purely Yours and when I had to give it back I bought the same one used on Kijiji. I had already purchased the parts that touch my body so I didn't find it yucky to buy used. It works great. I hate buying full price. I guess it depends on how long you want to use it for and how many babies you are going to have as to whether or not to buy new. I would always buy a double electric pump though.