Expert Forum User

Default How do you clean your washing machine?

I have an older top loading washing machine and lately a lot of the clothes end up smelling weird after they have already been washed. I haven't changed laundry detergents or anything so I'm thinking it might be my washer. I've read stuff online about letting bleach and water sit in the drum and then doing a full wash cycle. I use peroxide bleach so I'm not sure if that would work the same but worth a try. I've also read that white vinegar can do the same thing. What do you normally do (if this is a thing you even do??).

Hailey - April 2008
    Scarlett - April 2012
    Troy - July 2014
    *Currently enrolled in the Perinatal Support Practitioner program through Babies Naturally and looking to attend births as a student doula. Please message me for details!*

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

I start the water and pour in cup or so of vinegar, and run it on a hot cycle. I don't know if that's actually the way you're supposed to do it. I'll have to look more carefully into what is actually proper before I clean my current machine as it is front loading and I'm terrified of breaking it.
    DD1 age 7 DS age 11
    "I will remember you." July/10
    Baby Elaina born October 28th, 2011. Making every single day that much more special.
    INTERESTED IN BUYING DVDS OF OLD KIDS' SHOWS. Mr.Rogers', Mr.Dressup, Polka Dot Door, etc

Expert Forum User

Mine has a special cycle for cleaning it. You add a cup of bleach and then use that.

Expert Forum User

The only time I have cleaned mine is when replacing the agitating coupler - it's unbelievable what gets caught between the agitator and the tub.

When the pump wasn't draining all the water the first load would get a musty smell and I would have to do an extra rinse to get rid of it.
    It was actually lint stuck in the output line and once that was cleared up, it worked and smelled fine.

If I was going to "clean the machine" I likely would do so using CLR on a hot cycle with a looooong pause on the front end to soak.

Expert Forum User

I'm trying 2 cups of white vinegar in a hot load so we'll see if that helps, thanks all!

Hailey - April 2008
    Scarlett - April 2012
    Troy - July 2014
    *Currently enrolled in the Perinatal Support Practitioner program through Babies Naturally and looking to attend births as a student doula. Please message me for details!*

In the summer especially, I add 1/4 cup of ammonia to the wash water for all loads that DO NOT have bleach. It gets rid of the musty smell but it is important not to mix with bleach products.

vinegar and hot water

I use straight white vinegar and run it through a cycle without clothes and use really hot water

Expert Forum User

It seemed to work! No more weird smells

Hailey - April 2008
    Scarlett - April 2012
    Troy - July 2014