Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By /wasn't me/

Thread: Baby Hammocka

Question Baby Hammocka

Hi all,

I'm looking see if anyone has used a baby hammock instead of a basinet. Baby hammocks have some great reviews and testimonials online, however I personally do not know anyone who has used one. The baby hammock by Amby which comes with the highest of recommendations no longer ships to North America... the other brands seem to have some mixed reviews. The lower cost baby hammocks ranging in the $130-200 range only support infants weighing up 15-20lbs, or before they are able to roll over. The more expensive baby hammocks can support babies up 50lbs, however they cost $400-500 which is a little more then I am willing to spend.

My next question is how long did you keep your infant in a basinet before moving baby to their crib?

This is our first child, and we are a little over overwhelmed with choice.

Any feedback/ knowledge will be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by ana303; 06-15-2015 at 10:21 AM.

I have never used a hammock but I did know a family that did because their child was very gassy and wouldn't sleep. Mine use the bassinet until around 2-3 months, depending on weight and length. My youngest is 4.5 months and I have her in the playpen (it has a clip on that is the same size as the playpen to make it like a bassinet). I will keep her in that until 6 months or so. It makes night time nursing easier and I like having her close.

Quote Originally Posted by Tutumom View Post
    I have never used a hammock but I did know a family that did because their child was very gassy and wouldn't sleep. Mine use the bassinet until around 2-3 months, depending on weight and length. My youngest is 4.5 months and I have her in the playpen (it has a clip on that is the same size as the playpen to make it like a bassinet). I will keep her in that until 6 months or so. It makes night time nursing easier and I like having her close.
    Do you know if the family had success with the hammock? Or which brand of hammock they used? The one I'm looking at allows up to 60lbs, the Kanoe.

I don't know the brand of the one they used but yes they did like it. They had exhausted all other options. I would just be leery of spending so much money on something you don't know if you would love. They say to lay babies flat on their back to sleep so I am not even sure if they would be considered "safe". It would keep the body in a position like a carseat or bouncy chair and those are deemed not safe for sleeping, but I am not sure about the hammock. Maybe read lots of reviews online to get a better feel for it.

I have spent a long time reading online about these. The testimonials are incredible! The more upright position is actually favored because it is how baby would have been positioned in the womb. Many parents say it really assisted with sleeping at night, digestion issues, and many other positive benefits. Amby is the highest recommended brand, however unless you are buying them used it's challenging to acquire one. I contacted an old friend that had planned on using baby swings with her children 7 yeas ago to see if by chance she still has hers and she does! So I'm actually getting hers! Said it was a life saver! I'm beyond excited!!

Expert Forum User

I remember them being popular in like 2006-2007-2008.... and then they were pulled off the market (recall maybe?). I originally was looking at one for my oldest.

Expert Forum User

Last edited by a_bun_in_the_oven; 06-15-2015 at 06:44 PM.

My newborn sleeps in a swing in a reclined position. He is colicky and gassy and needs the motion to keep him sleeping. I'm hoping to transition him to his crib eventually. We also have a bassinet but he wiggles his way to the top and jams his head into the bars. The hammock looks interesting, but the recall is scary. My son would need someone to constantly bounce it to keep him sleeping. You might not even need it if your baby has no trouble sleeping.
    Last edited by pricetag; 06-16-2015 at 09:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pricetag View Post
    My newborn sleeps in a swing in a reclined position. He is colicky and gassy and needs the motion to keep him sleeping. I'm hoping to transition him to his crib eventually. We also have a bassinet but he wiggles his way to the top and jams his head into the bars. The hammock looks interesting, but the recall is scary. My son would need someone to constantly bounce it to keep him sleeping. You might not even need it if your baby has no trouble sleeping.
    What's great is that babies actually learn how to use the motion of their own bodies to create a swing effect. This is great for muscle control and development. As for the recalls the company mailed everyone a kit that fixed all the issues. Even with the recalls Amby is still the most popular and recommended product on the market. I by stroke of chance have found an Amby hammock and am crazy excited to pick it! Too bad baby doesn't arrive until December. Another great brand looks like the Kanoe. It supports infants up to 100lbs!

Expert Forum User

every time i see this thread i think karla homolka had a baby
    Sunrise likes this.

I'm actually buying a used Kanoe hammock and I should have it next week. My son sleeps in a swing great. We've tried sleeping in the crib and making it as similar to the swing as we can but he naps less than 30 min in the crib and the one night we tried it he woke in an hour (wakes once a night in the swing). I hope the hammock is the answer but if it doesn't work at least we haven't spent a fortune. Hopefully your Amby hammock works for you too. The only problem I foresee is when my son starts daycare he will need to nap in a crib.

I'm just wondering where you were able to find the Kanoe used. The mom I'm buying my Ambe can't seem to find it. I'm having this moment of "oh no". I haven't read anything about what transitions are like for babies that used a hammock. I'm wondering if using the hammock at night with short naps in a crib through the day may help with the transition.

If for some reason the Kanoe doesn't work please let me know. I might be willing to buy it from you if my Ambe doesn't pull through.

I searched Kijiji in ontario and found one in Elora for $75! My in-laws picked it up yesterday and I should have it by the weekend. I also googled "used baby hammock" and found a few other brands listed in Toronto on another site. I'm not thrilled about putting a hook in the ceiling but oh well.

I have wondered about the crib transition too but I'll deal with that down the road. I'll let you know if it doesn't work for us.

$75 is a steal! Hope it works for you!