Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: peeing the bed

Expert Forum User

Default peeing the bed

My son just turned 6 in May and he is still peeing the bed.. it seems like at least once a week. He says he isn't awake when it happens and I have no idea what to do. Is this a medical issue or do I just need to wait it out?

Expert Forum User

I really have never been there before so I don't really have suggestions... my middle was dry from the get go and my oldest wears an underjam/goodnight which is wet 98% of the time and is nearly 2 years older then your son. My GP is not concerned about my oldest (though has suggested cutting back on fluids before bed, and has mentioned medication which may work, but I'm not interested in meds at this point).

Youngest had this until puberty. I made a pair of flannel lined water proof pjs for him because a goodnight wasn't enough and put pads on the bed. We tried an alarm type of trainer that he hated and didn't help. Around age 10 we did get the medicine for him to use on sleepovers or at res camp. It worked but was reluctant to use it on a regular basis. He outgrew it suddenly and hasn't had an accident in at least 3 years.
    a_bun_in_the_oven likes this.

Expert Forum User

I have talked the paediatrician and there is no need to worry at any age. Be patient. We bought a waterproof lining to go over mattress, the mattress fits in it and it zips up, used goodnights and mattress pads.
    Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants.~Michael Pollan, author of In Defense of Food
    If we want to move towards a low-polluting, sustainable society, we need to get consumers to think about their purchases-David Suzuki
    "You must be the change you want to see in the world"- Mahatma Gandhi

DS did that up until he was 6. He was just too deep sleeper. We used to wake him up 2 hours after he went to bed and make him go bathroom. He didn't even remember the next day. Anyway, all of sudden he just grew out of it. I think you might want to try to wake him up, but I believe time will solve the problem.

Expert Forum User

My oldest DS did this until he was 12 or 13... basically puberty.
    Then he grew out of it.

He wore night-times and had a very good mattress protector on his bed (we bought him a new mattress when he stopped anyway - cause frankly I could still smell pee on it).

I think some kids just do this - my other two younger boys didn't pee the bed after toilet training - like ever... if anything, this was the most frustrating part for him - the fact his little brothers didn't have this issue.

Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

My older one was in pull ups until she was almost 8? Felt like it was never going to end. In the past year she's had the odd wet night. We kept meaning to take her to see a Dr, but given that ex-DH's sister was a bed wetter until puberty, I just assumed it was genetic and nothing to worry about.

The younger one was night trained by 3-4, odd accident since but she 99% will wake up on her own around 11pm and go to the bathroom by herself.

I would wait, or maybe mention it to close relatives to see if it's a thing.
    Stop thinking you’re not ready. – Nobody ever feels 100% ready when an opportunity arises. Because most great opportunities in life force us to grow beyond our comfort zones, which means we won’t feel totally comfortable at first.

~ Breastfed for 7 months, 2 weeks and 3 days ~

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

I have at least four friends who have kids in pullups or goodnights or an adult diaper at night, due to bedwetting well beyond age six. That's just of the people I know who have actually mentioned this topic, so I think it is quite common. I wouldn't worry.
    I'd get a really good mattress protector, and I read a tip online that I really liked and will use when the youngest starts trying to go diaper free at night....
    you put a few puppy pads taped down under sheet over the mattress protector,then a few puppy pads, then another sheet, so that if you do have an accident that night it is a bit less dramatic as it's easier to strip the bed and hopefully the next sheet is still totally dry.
    DD1 age 7 DS age 11
    "I will remember you." July/10
    Baby Elaina born October 28th, 2011. Making every single day that much more special.
    INTERESTED IN BUYING DVDS OF OLD KIDS' SHOWS. Mr.Rogers', Mr.Dressup, Polka Dot Door, etc

Expert Forum User

Thanks for the responses, it makes me feel better that it is more common than I thought. His mattress is pretty much ruined because the pads I put down either move or he moves off of them since his bed is so large. I guess I will need to invest in a big mattress pad since he really doesn't want to wear diapers.

I'm pretty sure DH peed the bed until around 6 so that might be part of it.

Do you Chiropractic benefits? I heard they can help with bedwetting. Heres an article that kind of explains it.

Dr. Crowley, Chiropractor - Chiropractic Offices in Winona, Minnesota

My 4 year was having a lot of accidents so now we get carry him the bathroom every night between 10-11pm and stand him in front of the toilet and he pees (sleeping!) If we do that he wakes up dry, if we forget theres a good chance he will wet the bed.
    luckymama likes this.

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by Mum09and11 View Post
    His mattress is pretty much ruined because the pads I put down either move or he moves off of them since his bed is so large. I guess I will need to invest in a big mattress pad since he really doesn't want to wear diapers.
    Mattress Depot and Sears both sell a mattress cover that is terry cloth on one side and like latex on the other - it doesn't feel all plasticy (we have one on our bed) like the older style ones and it is excellent for stopping all liquids - I didn't find these until my kiddo was older or I'm sure I wouldn't have had to replace the mattress.

Edited to add - they are kinda spendy - around $100 for a twin and $200 for a queen.
    Last edited by gogomom; 06-11-2015 at 08:27 AM.

Expert Forum User

he's got a double size bed so might be a little pricey but I'll look into it. Thanks!

Expert Forum User

hm never thought of chiro for the issue, I'll ask my chiropractor next time I;m there.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

I know a kid that when they drink milk they wet the bed. Apparently it's been the cause for other kids too. Can Milk Cause Bedwetting? - Our Holistic Journey

Expert Forum User

we don't drink milk so I don't think that's an issue... he does have other dairy though

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast