Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By LaLa
  • 1 Post By AuntPetunia
  • 1 Post By 2boysmom

Thread: Accessibility ramps for houses

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Default Accessibility ramps for houses

Has anybody ever had experience with accessibility ramps, and putting one in place at their home? We're moving and I intend to make the next place more
    accessible for our relatives and friends who require it. It has a powder room on the main floor, which is ideal, and there's really only two and a half steps up into
    the house so I think we could do a fairly compact ramp, nice easy incline for walkers.
    I guess what it comes down to is....
    does anyone know if it's something you HAVE to clear with a landlord first? I mean, ideally, it'll be something that does minimal if any damage to the actual
    stoop, which is concrete, nothing fancy, no railing, just two steps and a bit of a lip up.
    I just know when I mentioned possibly repainting one bedroom, which was two shades of purple and I mentioned painting it a greyish blue for my son, the
    property manager had to email the owner, and it took like five emails back and forth before we got the ok to repaint THAT room and that one only. Now, this
    house isn't like polished and ready or something. It hasn't been repainted between tenants. It is empty, but obviously wasn't professionally cleaned between
    tenants. It's not perfect, y'know? But if they're that anal about the colour of one freaking bedroom, and this isn't even a home the ownder lived in and loved,
    they bought it JUST for income,.....I can just imagine the hulabaloo for a ramp.

But I can't help thinking, wouldn't it be something we're legally entitled to do if we want? Like, don't people have rights to places being accessible?
    DD1 age 7 DS age 11
    "I will remember you." July/10
    Baby Elaina born October 28th, 2011. Making every single day that much more special.
    INTERESTED IN BUYING DVDS OF OLD KIDS' SHOWS. Mr.Rogers', Mr.Dressup, Polka Dot Door, etc

Interesting question! I would think yes, you totally have the right to make it accessible if you (and/or your family members) require the ramp. But if it is for visitors, I sort of doubt that the landlord will go for it. If it is just a two-step incline, can you build something that you can put on and remove on demand? You can use it when your relatives come over, but store it out of site when you don't use it?

I may end up having to do that, it's just there's so little storage at this place that I was hoping for something that could stay put.
    DD1 age 7 DS age 11
    Baby Elaina born October 28th, 2011. Making every single day that much more special.
    INTERESTED IN BUYING DVDS OF OLD KIDS' SHOWS. Mr.Rogers', Mr.Dressup, Polka Dot Door, etc

I would call the landlord and tenant board and ask. I would get them to email you or send out the specific law that states you can/cant and go from there. They are really helpful.
    Ingalls likes this.

I think you'll be surprised at how big the ramp has to be and how wide and that it will have to have railings. Two steps is a big ramp - the slope of it is specific for accessibility and safety and once a ramp is a certain distance from the ground, it must have railings. Also, add-on ramps are a big neon arrow for vandals and break-ins. They're most often built for adults and so it tells bad guys that an adult there isn't going to chase them down. Also, a main floor powder room is nice, but the door would have to be 36 inches to be accessible (most interior doors will not be).

All that aside, I'm never one to discourage accessibility. We built an accessible house because renovating an existing one would've cost a mind boggling amount. When we built it, we used landscaping and grading to avoid a ramp. In the backyard we have a ramp off the patio, but used landscaping there also to make it subtle and not need railings.

1:12 is the ratio - 1 inch up requires 12 inches length. So, if your steps are 8 inches high, you'll need 8 feet of ramp. They need to be 3 feet wide, wider if the person is overweight or has a wide power chair. Ramps also need specific space at the top and bottom of the ramp.

Ramps also fall under building code, so not only will you have to run it by your landlord, he will have to have the construction approved.
    Findabhair likes this.

Yikes!
    Um. Ok. I don't know that I can afford that and even more importantly, it wouldn't fit because there's a huge tree right smack in front of the house, and if you went
    to the side instead, being a semi it is a pretty narrow house and then you have driveway which we kind of need for the parking. Crap

I guess we'll just have to rent a hall or something when it's time for bdays and xmas and stuff. thanks...I hadn't even considered a railing!
    DD1 age 7 DS age 11

When I broke my leg back in January, I was in a wheelchair. We live in a 4 level backsplit which doesn't work so well for someone in a wheelchair lol. And then there was the whole issue of a ramp outside up the steps into the house. Luckily, I knew someone who had one & since he now has a permanent ramp into his place (he is an amputee with just 1 leg), he lent me his. I have seen some for sale on kijiji in the past as well. That is likely the route I would go, especially if it is not needed for anyone specifically living in your house but more used for guests with accessibility issues, etc. Only thing with the temporary metal ramps is there are thieves who steal them because they are metal For that reason (and also because it was not our ramp to begin with), my husband would take it down each time I was done using it (either heading out of the house or going into the house).
    gwynbleidd likes this.

This is problematic to solve on your own.