Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ShannonRN

Thread: EQAO testing

Question EQAO testing

Does anyone know if teachers/school boards have the option of basing a certain percentage of a student's final grade in a certain class on their EQAO test results? I thought they were completely independent of class marks, but my stepDD told me today that her final mark in one of her classes includes 10% of her EQAO result, and she's beyond stressed over it.

(Probably need to mention that her school is part of the Conseil Scolaire Catholique Providence, so they still have the EQAO testing this week).

Expert Forum User

They are completely separate and teachers don't always have results back by the time report cards are due as they are not done by their class teacher.

That's what I thought, and I told her that it's separate, but she's adamant that it's not. She says her teacher told her that because a lot of kids usually dick around with the EQAO testing and didn't take it seriously, that she's basing 10% of their final mark on the EQAO test result.

If I remember correctly, we finished up exams around the end of June, and could pick up our report cards around July 15th...but do they even have the EQAO results by then? And could they hold their grade until that point?

I just want to be really, really sure when I tell her that they can't apply EQAO test results to her final mark, that I'm right. And at that point I think it'll be time for a parent-teacher meeting.

Expert Forum User

The schools receive the marks to hand to students in October/November. I am not sure when schools receive the pages with the information about each student, but I think that begins around November.
    I tried to find out when they mark them, but have to create a profile on EQAO to do it. I searched some of my fb groups and all reference to marking calls it "summer marking" and occurs in Toronto, so I think it occurs in July. Even if it occurred towards the end of June, they wouldn't be able to get everything together for all of Ontario and sent out to all the schools in Ontario before the end of school.

The grade 9 literacy testing is marked in April, so maybe those are the marks they are talking about?

No, it was specifically math she was talking about. I've spoken with a teacher friend and she says there's no way that the EQAO test marks can be used as part of a final class mark....basically the teacher is most likely trying to scare the kids into not being assholes and messing with the test.

Thanks for your input, guys!
    Last edited by ShannonRN; 05-24-2015 at 10:52 PM.
    sardam likes this.

Expert Forum User

I should also add that June report cards in grade school are based on what they learned from Sept-June, High school would be during that course. EQAO is a test of all things learned not just in grade 3, but 1-3, and 4-6, and 7-9, so even if a teacher had the marks back on time they couldn't legally use them because they are supposedly based on 3 years of learning, or all previous grades, not just that year or semester, which is what report cards are based on.

The grade nine math assessment can be used as part of their mark up to 10%.
    HappyandBlessed
    Maman to five
    DS born still Dec '97
    DS Dec '98
    DS Dec '03
    DS Sept '06
    DD May '10

Quote Originally Posted by HappyandBlessed View Post
    The grade nine math assessment can be used as part of their mark up to 10%.
    This isn't possible...grade nine marks are released by mid July and EQAO results aren't received until October.

I'm pretty sure it's the multiple choice part of the test, teachers can mark it before submitting it and use it. I read about it on my son's school website (TVDSB) and I did my research before writing a letter for him not to write it; it is most definitely true. Some schools have it count for less than 10%, but it is up to each school.
    HappyandBlessed
    Maman to five
    DS born still Dec '97
    DS Dec '98
    DS Dec '03
    DS Sept '06
    DD May '10