Default dentistry for family with no benefits

Hi all,

wondering what dentistry you all may recommend to a family that has no benefits from work etc. up until now i had benefits but decreased my hours at work to spend more time with the kids and manage some things around the home. with that, out went my benefits and I either have to reapply and pay a fee for dental benefits, or pay the dentistry up front which can be quite expensive. children are ages 3 and 5. If anyone has any recommendations of a dentistry or even a company that provides dental benefits i would appreciate it. any info would be great, thanks!

It's none of my business what your income situation is, but if you have a low adjusted net income you would qualify for Healthy Smiles Ontario. Your children would receive free dental care.
    https://www.ontario.ca/health-and-we...et-dental-care

There also appears that there may be something offered through the local health unit for elementary school children to receive free preventative dental care.

Other Public Health dental programs

All public health units in Ontario offer free preventative dental programs for elementary school children. These services are provided through public health clinics and private dental offices.
    Most public health units offer additional preventative dental programs. Some programs target specific user groups, such as low-income seniors and First Nations children. Some programs even offer mobile dental clinics. Services vary from one region to another.
    Contact your local public health unit to find out what services are available in your area.
    Find your local public health unit

Western and Fanshawe offer services at reduced cost.
    http://www.schulich.uwo.ca/dentistry..._services.html
    Last edited by Annmomofboys; 05-12-2015 at 02:30 PM.

Expert Forum User

You will have to have a family income of less than $25,000 to access what rachbent has listed. I may be wrong and it may be even lower than that, or you may have to receive a portion of OW. These are benefits for very low income.

I have used Schulich as posted above. They charge about 60% of the costs and I haven't had concerns with their work, although my oldest didn't have any cavities or issues, so only regular check ups. I stopped using them because the appointments are about 3 hours, which meant I had to miss an entire day of work since it was 9am-noon, so I couldn't guarantee I could make it to an afternoon on time. I don't get paid sick days so it cost me more in lost work to go.
    Also, they only operate during the university school year, so they will not re-open until September.

Many dentists will offer a 10% discount if you are paying cash (visa/mastercard), which is what I now do.

Personally, if your work benefits give you benefits at a slightly reduced rate, they will be cheaper than the other plans out there (I would think).

(If you don't have medication benefits but pay a lot for medication then look into Trillium through OHIP - it is a yearly fee paid quarterly based on income and number in your family)
    Last edited by melissawilliam; 05-12-2015 at 03:39 PM.

Expert Forum User

I have used Schulich (Western) and have been pleased. They are long appointments as everything has to been checked by the licensed dentist before they do the work and again after it is complete so there can be a bit of a wait. You choose either 9-11ish or 1:30-3:30 for your appointments. My kids have not had any issues with the students and two of them just go for check-ups/cleanings and the other two have a mouth full of fillings and one has an expander which costs a fraction of a real dentist. Cleanings with x-rays for kids is $38ish, fillings are $32ish, a silver tooth (don't know what it is called) is $45ish. They say price is approx. 60% of a regular dentist but based off the price of our old dentist they are less then half the price.