Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Tutumom

Thread: Anyone send your kids PT in kindergarten with this FT curriculum?

Expert Forum User

Default Anyone send your kids PT in kindergarten with this FT curriculum?

I do not think FT is necessary for JK or SK and I'm really struggling how to best work things next year. Has anyone registered and the only sent their child certain days, or kept them home sometimes? How did it go?
    Formerly "lila's mum" but I had outgrown that name, now that I have 3 beauties.

Expert Forum User

DD was every other day for JK but her school was still that way (they were on the old Early Years program at the time). She's been full time since September for SK. It's easier to get on a routine and stick to it when she's in full time. She knows what to expect. A friend of hers takes Wednesdays off though. Honestly that'd probably be the best option. I find DD has a decent amount of energy from Monday through to Wednesday but Thursday and Friday she just drags herself to school though she loves it when she gets there she's just obviously very tired.

I did for the first part of the year. I sent her Monday, Wed, and Friday's. I must admit it was hard for her socially going part time while all the other students went full time. She is so smart so that was never an issue but the way the curriculum is she was missing vital lessons. Like one week they were studying volcanos. So on Monday they built volcanos, Tuesday they ruptured them and Wed they discussed what happened. DD would build one but then never see it rupture and know that missed something special and important. Because of all of this her teachers and I decided full time would be best for her. She has done amazing with full time, but I still think it is a lot for someone so young. Her teacher was very supportive of her coming part time but the principal gave us a hard time.
    Findabhair likes this.

Expert Forum User

I did, as all my DS's attended a pre-school and I preferred for them to be there, where I was paying and there was only 5 kids.

My youngest was the only one who had full day JK. I received a call from the truancy officer at 26 days (I think?) of missed school because at that point they would only receive partial funding for my child. I told them what I was doing and heard no more about it.

Expert Forum User

I have sent all four of mine part-time. DS1's JK year was the last year of part-time at our school but I have continued doing Monday, Wednesday, Friday with all of them. Our teacher has been very supportive as has the administration. I know not every school is happy about it but we've had 4 new principals and vices too and I've only had a minor issue once. They do miss things as Tutumom said but our classes often have kids missing so they aren't the only ones. We have had a couple other kids doing alternate schedules as well as a few parents who will keep their child home randomly when they are tired or have had a long week so we are the same thing but scheduled and I don't have to call the attendance line on Tuesday or Thursday and their teacher knows the plan.
    I will also mention that there has been a concern regarding how they will adjust to grade one with no real flexibility and my older two have not had any issue with it and my current SKer knows he will be going every day next year and doesn't seem concerned.
    I have never had a call from a truancy officer. Last year my grade three son missed 15 days from two family trips and nothing was said with him either.
    Last edited by sardam; 05-12-2015 at 10:56 AM.

Expert Forum User

DD1 went Mon to Thurs, and took Fridays off - no issues socially or academically. DD2 has gone FT for both JK & SK. I know a family who sent their child for mornings in JK and afternoons in SK and it worked out well. This is in a school that has had FDK since the first year the program started.

If you decide to try an alternate schedule, you need to establish a good relationship with the teacher and principal and pick a schedule that you believe you can stick with the majority of the time.

Expert Forum User

FDK came into effect at our school when my oldest son started SK. I only sent him every other day and it worked out just fine. He wasn't ready to be going every, single day.
    When my youngest started JK I did the same thing. By the time he was in SK he usually went nearly every day but I would often keep him home once a week or more often if I noticed he was really tired.

Formerly Jacksmommy
    Becky ~ Mom to two busy boys, Jack & Ben

~Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter won't mind~
    ~Dr. Seuss~