Default Metformin for PCOS???

I recently was diagnosed with PCOS and started on Metformin. Is this a common medication for this? I have never heard of it. Does it work?

April 14, 2001-May 05, 2001
    April 29, 2015

Expert Forum User

I have PCOS and started taking metforming for it about 6 years ago. Works wonderfully, but I couldn't stomach the regular metformin - took if for 3.5 years and it was a dietary battle. I saw my endocrinologist and she switched me to glumetza which is a slow release metformin and it has been a life changer. Previously I had taken birth control for it and had horrible horrible side effects with it. I would never take b/c to treat it again.

I take 1000mg daily at dinner time and very rarely do I have side effects. Mind you, I still have to really watch what I eat or I'll be in the washroom all night but it's no where near as bad as when I was on the regular metformin.

University of Chicago has a PCOS specialization program with good info: Center for Polycystic Ovary Syndrome - The University of Chicago Medicine
    There's also a message board for PCOS (keep in mind some of the people on there think they're doctors but they're idiots) Soul Cysters | Women with PCOS Speak From the Heart
    Last edited by Sunrise; 05-10-2015 at 05:37 PM.
    Married 2005. DD1 2007. DD2 2011. Beta Sigma Phi 2013.
    ... and one cute little kitty!

I only took it while trying to get pregnant. It worked for that and I had no side effects at all. I generally eat healthy but am a horrible snacker (like snickers, chips and sweets in general) and do eat a boatload of crap a day. It made me lose weight though which was a no no for me at the time (I was borderline underweight)

It's a common med for pcos in the fertility world but is just getting a good start in the general public to treat the symptoms of pcos without the infertility aspect.
    Last edited by LaLa; 05-10-2015 at 06:21 PM.

I also have PCOS but only take metformin for fertility. It is hard to stomach at first, I started with one pill daily then went to 2 after a week. It definitely made me lose weight, but mainly because I was so nauseous from the medication.

Oh and it did regulate my cycle which is a symptom that I was experience (irregularity) which obviously made it hard for me to get pregnant.

Good to know...I would like to loose a few pounds so I wouldn't mind if I lost a bit of weight. I am only taking it for PCOS

April 29, 2015

Expert Forum User

I took it to get pregnant as well and it worked well for me!

Thats good to know BabyLove...we will see what happens

April 29, 2015

Yes, it is a very common medication for treating PCOS. It is a commonly used oral drug for treating type 2 diabetes, it improves insulin sensitivity. But many people with PCOS do have this problem too. It should increase the chance of ovulation and if you lose a few pounds, most people would be happy. I know there can be digestive issues, but I don't have any direct experience with using it myself. Start slowly.
    DS1 Oct 21, 2003
    DS2 Nov 20, 2006

Forgot to mention, but some doctors will keep you on this drug even after you are pregnant. People with PCOS or obesity in general have a higher rate of miscarriage.
    DS1 Oct 21, 2003
    DS2 Nov 20, 2006

Quote Originally Posted by momtotwoboys View Post
    Forgot to mention, but some doctors will keep you on this drug even after you are pregnant. People with PCOS or obesity in general have a higher rate of miscarriage.
    I was kept on it until I was 12 weeks with all my pregnancies. I did have 2 miscarriages and carried 3 babies to term.