Thread: What size bike?

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Default What size bike?

My son seems to need a bike that doesn't exist Like a 20 inch is doable but a touch small. A 24" is way too big.
    Is there something I'm missing here? I can't seem to find a 22 inch wheel, but that's a big jump in sizing. It seems huge to me.
    DD1 age 7 DS age 11
    "I will remember you." July/10
    Baby Elaina born October 28th, 2011. Making every single day that much more special.
    INTERESTED IN BUYING DVDS OF OLD KIDS' SHOWS. Mr.Rogers', Mr.Dressup, Polka Dot Door, etc

Expert Forum User

Have you tried different bikes in both tire sizes? My dd (almost 11) recently got a 24" from CT. One of the 24" ones she tried she couldn't even get on it was so big. We never did find any 22" but that would have solved the problem. Depending what you're looking to spend check out a bike store. They have more options with tire/frame size, but expect to spend a lot more.

Yeah bike store just isn't happening. If he were into doing long distance riding or off roading or tricks, maybe, but for just regular riding around the neighbourhood I can't see a reason to spend a whole lot. Plus, presumably, he'll grow soon

Thanks for the idea though to try others. I will do that. If I try a different store entirely it might help. I've tried him at two stores, and the one store several times, but if I tried somewhere else that carries a different brand or such it might be a better fit. Hadn't considered that. Thanks.
    DD1 age 7 DS age 11
    Baby Elaina born October 28th, 2011. Making every single day that much more special.
    INTERESTED IN BUYING DVDS OF OLD KIDS' SHOWS. Mr.Rogers', Mr.Dressup, Polka Dot Door, etc

How about adjusting the seat height? That should give a few inches!!

Expert Forum User

You mean you don't want to spend at least $500 on a bike to just ride to the park?!? I don't blame you lol

My ds (12) has a hybrid bike** and his old 20" Razor (think BMX knockoff) from Toys R Us. He can still ride the 20" no problem. My dd had her 20" on the highest seat setting last year and had a hard time.

Has he tried a BMX-style bike? Or try Supercycle 1800 Boys' 24" Mountain Bike | Canadian Tire or a similar one at Walmart for $109. They were the two smallest (and cheapest!) 24" we found.

**My son plans on riding Grand Bend to London with me this summer, otherwise he likely wouldn't have the good bike.
    Last edited by kymira; 05-11-2015 at 08:02 PM.

Thanks, I think we'll try there next.

Now you've got me curious what a hybrid bike is! Off to google.
    DD1 age 7 DS age 11