Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Possible teachers strike

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Default Possible teachers strike

Is anyone else freaking out? I have three kids in school, me and dh both work fulltime and of course dh just switched to a day shift a couple of months ago after being midnights or afternoons for 8.5 years.

What do we do with our kids if they strike? Halp?
    Mommy to three adorable kids!

Expert Forum User

I'm not personally freaking out. I'm not crazy about the idea but it doesn't affect me personally as I'm a sahm. I will have a bored kiddo if a strike happens but that's about it. I wouldn't be surprised if places like Children's museum or YMCA do something for the kids. Since they've been doing PA day camps and things lately.

Expert Forum User

There will be plenty of options for working parents, this isn't the first strike. And many of my teacher friends have said there is much talk about work to rule possibly to start with, not full strike.
    M2M likes this.

HAven't we been experiencing work to rule for years now?! I was under the impression that's why our school has no clubs or extracurriculars or intramural sports or so on?!
    They already don't answer agenda notes or call in parents when there's a concern about kids' grades or supervise clubs or so on....(here I mean)...what more can go?
    DD1 age 7 DS age 11
    "I will remember you." July/10
    Baby Elaina born October 28th, 2011. Making every single day that much more special.
    INTERESTED IN BUYING DVDS OF OLD KIDS' SHOWS. Mr.Rogers', Mr.Dressup, Polka Dot Door, etc

Super Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

From what I have been reading - I agree - it sounds like it will be more of a Work to Rule type of approach. But if they full out strike - lots of daycamps etc.. will pop up. Perhaps even a SAHM here could help. DD would just go to her daycare that she goes to before and after school care with. As of right now Ingalls - those activities are voluntary. So if a teacher wishes to run a club etc... they are certainly able to. Once Work to Rule is enforced - they would not be allowed to even if they wished. At that point it would be enforced by the Union as a majority stance. Our school has had clubs/sports etc... so I am thinking that is dependent on your teachers and schools perhaps. We have been very lucky to have some amazing teachers.
    *~* The point isn't whether they lived happily ever after, the point is that they lived*~

Is this just the public board again? I haven't been paying attention.

And I apologize - I dont mean to downplay the concerns. I know it will all be at an added cost to parents to participate in these daycamps. I just meant they will be available to help with that part at least.
    *~* The point isn't whether they lived happily ever after, the point is that they lived*~

I have heard nothing of the catholic boards.
    AuntPetunia and SpringChicks like this.

My sil is a teacher and she said on the weekend that if they strike it won't be till September. Firat they will work to rule and not do anything extra. They don't want to strike.
    Proud mom to ds born Sept. 2009 and dd born May 2012

I would assume striking as a teacher sucks as bad as striking as any other job -- you need to find childcare for your own kids, you aren't getting paid or if you do it's piddly, so I would think IF they strike, it'll be for good reason.

I just do find it odd about the work to rule because I could've sworn that was the excuse used at our school as to why so little goes on there. I don't care though...we're leaving there soon. The next one can't really be much worse as far as amount of clubs or such. We have some good teachers, but a few can only carry the school so far.
    Findabhair likes this.
    DD1 age 7 DS age 11
    "I will remember you." July/10
    Baby Elaina born October 28th, 2011. Making every single day that much more special.
    INTERESTED IN BUYING DVDS OF OLD KIDS' SHOWS. Mr.Rogers', Mr.Dressup, Polka Dot Door, etc

Expert Forum User

The union representing Ontario's public elementary school teachers says its members will be taking strike action in 32 school boards across the province on Monday.

From the free press

"The Elementary Teachers’ Federation of Ontario said in a statement Tuesday it would not publicly provide details as to what type of action "until all steward meetings called this week to discuss job action have taken place."

Negotiations between ETFO and the province reached an impasse last month.

The strike action includes ETFO's 73, 000 teacher and occasional teacher members"

From what I have heard we'll know Thursday night or Friday morning what strike action is being taken.

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by Ingalls View Post
    I just do find it odd about the work to rule because I could've sworn that was the excuse used at our school as to why so little goes on there. I don't care though...we're leaving there soon. The next one can't really be much worse as far as amount of clubs or such. We have some good teachers, but a few can only carry the school so far.
    The last work to rule strike ended in 2013 - so if your school is using that as an excuse - it's just an excuse.

This is the first time that something like this will truly affect my kids. I have one who is graduating Grade 8 this year - there will be no ceremony or dance if this happens - also no music festival or end of school year trips (most are already booked and paid for). My oldest could lose part of the season for his sports and he depends on these for scholarships to university in 2016. My youngest would be fine even if he's disappointed with missing some trips.

I gotta be honest - I am not impressed with the public school system anymore, it seriously needs a huge overhaul of policies and politics.

M2M

Catholic schools have Voted in favour of strike 94% and can Legally take action mid June (so I think catholic schools are pretty safe) I'm not sure about private schools though.

M2M

Quote Originally Posted by gogomom View Post
    The last work to rule strike ended in 2013 - so if your school is using that as an excuse - it's just an excuse.

This is the first time that something like this will truly affect my kids. I have one who is graduating Grade 8 this year - there will be no ceremony or dance if this happens - also no music festival or end of school year trips (most are already booked and paid for). My oldest could lose part of the season for his sports and he depends on these for scholarships to university in 2016. My youngest would be fine even if he's disappointed with missing some trips.

I gotta be honest - I am not impressed with the public school system anymore, it seriously needs a huge overhaul of policies and politics.
    Proms and Dances for these events can still happen if parents step up and volunteer their time to organize and run it. We ran into this problem the year I had prom.

Expert Forum User

^ But a staff still needs to be present. We were using our principal as she isnt in union
    Mom to DS - 9.5 years old
    AND

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast