Smile TVDSB Interview (Occasional List)

Hi everyone!

I was just wondering if any one has recently had an interview with the Thames Valley District School Board for occasional teaching?

I have one coming up and am looking for some suggestions. Does any one remember the questions that were asked?

Any input would be greatly appreciated as I am super nervous!

Thanks in advance.

Expert Forum User

My facebook will not load right now for some reason so I can't post a link. Search Facebook for "Ontario Occasional Teachers". They did a bunch of hiring last year about this time and a lot of people were posting about it. I am guessing yours is in french or for secondary, so it may be different than what they went through.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/211011982305823/- finally loaded

I believe they are now doing group interviews with 5-10 people, and give different individual questions where you write your short answer on a white board, then share. They have you work with your group (or 1/2 the group) to plan for something (perhaps an LTO in a certain grade).

My biggest advice would be to make sure you speak equally as much as everyone else - no more, no less. If you want to be the writer for your group say, "I have neat writing, would you like me to write?". If you don't give enough then you appear unable. If you speak too much, you appear to be controlling. Accept all answers, never tell someone they were wrong - if you have to respond, then perhaps try "That is one way we could do it, another way would be..." Also, placate WOW, that is such a great answer, I hadn't thought of that.

This is mostly LTO interviews, but I have heard the OT ones are done the same now.
    Last edited by melissawilliam; 04-21-2015 at 11:34 AM.

Thank you so much for the detailed response!

The link won't work for me for some strange reason but when I searched "Ontario Occasional Teachers" it lead me to the Facebook group- should I join or is that the wrong one?

I think it is a group format since the email says: the interview will be conducted in a group format with elementary principals/vice principals. I have never been in a group interview like that but like the idea of writing the answers on a white board first.

I wonder what questions they will ask. This seems like it is going to be intense!

The Facebook group has a lot of great information and you will find many others in the same situation as you. Make sure you specify which board you are interviewing with though because the format could vary greatly from board to board. I interviewed before the group format but I agree with melissawilliam that it will be very similar to the LTO interview process. Her advice is excellent.

Expert Forum User

It is a facebook group, and you have to ask to join as it is a private group (as private as facebook can be, lol).

They ask about your experience with special needs, how to handle conflict, if you are new to the school how would you integrate yourself, give past experience and how you would use that experience and learning now and how you may change it in the future. If you dont have special ed sign up its a huge bonus and then say you are signed up. how would you involve your community how would you stay involved in the school community.