Like Tree8Likes
  • 8 Post By ChinUp

Thread: What are your thoughts on the Sunshine list?

Administrator Site Admin

Default What are your thoughts on the Sunshine list?

Were you surprised at some of the salaries? The president of Western received double pay last year and made nearly 1 million dollars. That annoys me. There was some talk about raising the minimum from $100,000 as it hasn't changed since it's inception.

What are your thoughts on the list and some of the salaries?

http://www.lfpress.com/2015/03/27/su...ublic-salaries
    Last edited by Leslie; 03-30-2015 at 07:53 AM.
    Leslie

Super Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

We were just talking about this! I was shocked to see how much he made!
    *~* The point isn't whether they lived happily ever after, the point is that they lived*~

It always bothers me in industries where jobs are cut and people are barely making enough to scrape by, but those at the top are making more in a year than I could even dream of spending in a lifetime.

On one hand, yes there are jobs out there that require a lot of education, skill, hours, bravery and dedication that definitely make it easy to understand why they make $100,000 or more. But when people in the public sector are making between $250,000 $1,000,000 I have a problem with that. At some point it just looks greedy (especially in this economy).

Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

I don't think it's kept pace with inflation, and think the list is ridic. I think we need to stop gawking at some of the higher income jobs, and instead start to look at why other industries are paying their workers s***. Instead of having some "race to the wage bottom" of "well people should just be happy they have a job and can barely scrape by cause I only make xxx dollars" I'd like to see it shift into a "good for them". And if you want that income, go ahead and go to firefighting school, pull dead bodies out of cars and run into burning buildings.

I'm 100% for full disclosure of public funds, that's absolutely necessary. But the Sunshine List isn't for disclosure, it's a negative spotlight on a lot of people who don't deserve it. Why is it even called the Sunshine List? There's not much that's sunshiny about it.
    Last edited by ChinUp; 03-30-2015 at 10:29 AM.
    Stop thinking you’re not ready. – Nobody ever feels 100% ready when an opportunity arises. Because most great opportunities in life force us to grow beyond our comfort zones, which means we won’t feel totally comfortable at first.

~ Breastfed for 7 months, 2 weeks and 3 days ~

Expert Forum User

I think the majority is awful. My husband works ridiculously hard and he'll never be able to make money like that.

My mother was $20 away from making the list and was happy not to since she didn't want people to see her name there. Instead she should be proud of her salary. She more than deserves to make that salary due to her education and years working to get where she is. $100,000 is not that much these days and the limit needs to be raised.

Expert Forum User

I havenèt seen it, BUT I would assume that since it is all government employees and the government is saying that all employees need 3 more years of pay freezes that everyone on the list is making the EXACT same as last year and the year before that...RIGHT???

I know in my field that the people who have made it to the list have at least 6 years of university, plus a Masters, plus an additional course at that level, plus 5+ years of full-time work, then a few years at the next level, then a few years at the top to reach the sunshine list. So, I do feel that they have deserved it by that time
    Last edited by melissawilliam; 03-30-2015 at 06:19 PM.

Expert Forum User

As long as that person is getting results - I don't care how much they are paid... and TBH the list itself annoys the heck out of me.
    These are public positions, but the public has to compete with private companies for the top people.... if the public position pays like garbage, then that is the type of candidate your going to get at the table.

Quote Originally Posted by melissawilliam View Post
    I havenèt seen it, BUT I would assume that since it is all government employees and the government is saying that all employees need 3 more years of pay freezes that everyone on the list is making the EXACT same as last year and the year before that...RIGHT???

I know in my field that the people who have made it to the list have at least 6 years of university, plus a Masters, plus an additional course at that level, plus 5+ years of full-time work, then a few years at the next level, then a few years at the top to reach the sunshine list. So, I do feel that they have deserved it by that time
    Not everyone on the list is a government employee.

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by pricetag View Post
    Not everyone on the list is a government employee.
    Oh, I thought that it was. How do they choose who to put and who not to put then? I thought if it was paid through the government with public money then they were added and if they were paid by a private company then they were not on it - are privately paid people on it also?

Quote Originally Posted by melissawilliam View Post
    Oh, I thought that it was. How do they choose who to put and who not to put then? I thought if it was paid through the government with public money then they were added and if they were paid by a private company then they were not on it - are privately paid people on it also?
    You're right that it's public employees not private on the list. The wage freeze you mentioned previously applies to direct government employees (which is me) who work for the Ontario Public Service in the OPSEU union. I think the other employees listed are somehow related to government but maybe not so directly. My mom, for example isn't directly employed by the government, but she's in health care which is funded by the government.
    Last edited by pricetag; 03-30-2015 at 08:26 PM.

Expert Forum User

I was shocked to see how much they made. I am seriously never donating to the alumni fund when they call.... and now I have a great rebuttal for their pushiness.

I do think that they need to start this list at $150,000 or more.

I think that the thing that annoys me is seeing jobs that I really don't think should earn $100k a year.... like the bus drivers for Metrolinx in Toronto. They have 12 bus drivers making over $100k each. I'm sorry - to drive a bus?? Surely for 1.2 million dollars they could get more than 12 people to drive buses..... If that happened in London people would chuck bricks at the LTC. Now, honestly I don't know anything about driving a bus but realistically when scientists for the Cancer Care Ontario get paid less I think that there's something wrong with that.
    Last edited by Sunrise; 03-30-2015 at 09:30 PM.
    Married 2005. DD1 2007. DD2 2011. Beta Sigma Phi 2013.
    ... and one cute little kitty!

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by pricetag View Post
    You're right that it's public employees not private on the list. The wage freeze you mentioned previously applies to direct government employees (which is me) who work for the Ontario Public Service in the OPSEU union. I think the other employees listed are somehow related to government but maybe not so directly. My mom, for example isn't directly employed by the government, but she's in health care which is funded by the government.
    The wage freezes I was referring to are teachers and some years to health unit nurses (actually they just fired all the management since they werenèt unionized, and then cut a ton of programs, so maybe the nurses wonèt have a pay freeze this year), but I know that many others have contracts with 1-2 year wage freezes.
    In this situation, I think of government employees as being anyone whom the government pays.
    Last edited by melissawilliam; 03-30-2015 at 10:21 PM.