Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By tinydancer

Thread: Juggling 3 kids under the age of 2! How did you do it?!?!?

Question Juggling 3 kids under the age of 2! How did you do it?!?!?

Hi everyone, I'm new around here and would greatly appreciate some advice. I have twin boys that are 18 months old and a 7 week old infant. My twins were 7 weeks premature and one of them has a vomiting issue when he gets sick, gets upset or scared. He's about 4 weeks behind his brother in his milestones. My 7 week old was born full term at 39 weeks. The infant is on formula (similac) and seems to get hungry every 1 1/2hrs. He cries constantly before and after his feeds, even though he was just changed (doesn't have a dirty diaper). He only sleeps about 3 hours during the day, but sleeps around 9-10hrs during the night. He refuses to suck on his pacifier unless I hold it. The minute I let go of the pacifier he starts crying. I tried a swing and a bouncer and he hates both equally. He cries until he gets picked up. It's a miracle if I'm able to use the bathroom or have a drink of water. My twin boys demand constant attention and don't talk yet. My husband is on pat leave helping me out at the moment, but worried about when he will be returning to work. What I'm trying to find out is if anyone has been in my situation and if you have any suggestions or advice I would really appreciate it.

Expert Forum User

Oh my goodness. You have your hands full. Congratulations on your new baby! I don't have much advice. Other than hang in there, and sleep when you can. You will get through this. And just remember that they are only this age once. It will get easier. Mine are 4 and 7 now, and gosh, I hardly remember the endless sleep interuptions.

Did you try wearing a wrap to carry baby? (hands-free is handy) I found DD loved that. Both mine, didn't care for the swing either- loved the bouncy chair. Sometimes I would put her in the stroller, even inside in winter to walk her back and forth--helps soothe them.
    LaLa likes this.
    DS June 2007
    DD April 2010

"No influence is so powerful as that of the mother."- Sarah Josepha Hale

It is very normal to be hungry a lot at that age! They will have growing spurts as well!
    i have only breastfed so I don't know for sure but I have read other moms talk about using different formula if a certain kind bothered the baby. Does the baby cry if you are holding him?
    have you tried swaddling the baby and using white noise to relax him?
    not all babies like pacifiers or are picky on which ones they like.

Sometimes there isn't a reason why they cry.... Google search the period of purple cry! See if that helps
    always try undressing them to see if anything is bothering him.
    one time my baby had hair wrapped around her toe!

but there's not always an answer! I hope things get easier for you soon. I have a 2.5 year old and a 6 month old. I can imagine 3 under 2 must be very hard.... Stay strong and ask for help when you can

Expert Forum User

Hang in there. I also would look into baby wearing. It really helped me when my kids were little and in the stage of wanting to be held all the time. I mentally felt a lot better better without a crying baby and I was actually able to do things with my hands free.
    Do you think you need to change formula? It might just be a stage or the baby may need to try a different kind (I have no idea though I bf all 3).
    Good luck!

I agree with using a wrap. Maybe that way you can still have your hands free for your twins. Do you go to playgroups? Even to get your toddlers out for the morning and then you can come home, lunch and nap. Sounds like you are very busy! I have a 9 week old, but my other two are two and four, so it's a little easier!

all of my children had colick/stomach issues. I highly suggest a homeopathic remedy for colic ( you can buy at any drug store like shoppers or health food store) it is a 0-9 (age) remedy, the brand is Kids homeocan. This did wonders for my babies. Also, I personally felt wraps were too much for me hard on the body to carry around all the time. I would try a swing again with very soothing music. Turning the vacuum on even worked for my daughter.

Thank you everyone for the feedback. I was gonna try the wrap but I don't want the baby to get used to being "held" all the time as I would like to spend some time with the twins as well. One of the twins is really jealous of the baby and wants to harm him everytime he sees me holding him, so I have to be very careful when I'm around him and also cries out of jealousy and wants to be held at the same time. I will speak to the baby's pediatrician at his next appointment and hopefully we can fix his tummy issue as he has a lot of gas. I hope that things will improve in a few months... Here's hoping!

I had 2 under two and baby wearing saved me. Without it I could not have done it. At the start i used a moby wrap and that let me be completely hands free so I could tend to my 19 month old. I could pick him up,snuggle with him on the couch or get down and play all whole wearing baby. It then let me go out and to the park ect without having to worry too much. Later I used a soft structured carrier (ergo, tula ect) when baby got bigger. It gave me the freedom to clean,cook and just tend to my toddler. Give it a try, there is a London baby wearing group that rents their carriers for a month for like $20 so u can find what you like.

I can't suggest anything on the eating part as we breastfed, but both my Kiddos ate every 1.5-2 hours including at night until well past a year.

My second was quite colicky,hugs! It's hard but it gets better! One day at a time.

Also the jealousy will get better for your toddler, it's a new situation. Be encouraging and allow him to help with things like grabbing a diaper or rubbing babies foot so he forms a bond with baby too.

And you cannot spoil a baby by holding them, they will get independent and not want to be held. My 18 month old refusues to be carried now, and this was a child who was held 12 hours each day for like the first year haha! Do what works and what makes it easier to get past the hard part.