Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: What's normal, for siblings and parties?

Expert Forum User

A little late adding to the discussion, but here it goes....I agree with your DD, I think you need to do 2 parties. One just for school or your child's close friends and cap it at a certain number (and NO siblings). This is the 'big deal party' themed or whatever you want to do. Have a different family / people who are like family party and keep it simple. Kids playing, adults socializing, no 'big deal birthday party stuff', just a cake and whatever food you feel like serving. If there is some overlap with the kids, so be it. Make sure the family knows not to get another gift.

We do parties like OOG.

Expert Forum User

We don't normally invite siblings just b/c there is usually a cap for the # of kids for the party or our house is too small and it would be crazy to invite extra. The only exception was last year for DD1's party we invited both of the kids next door b/c she hangs out with both of them and the parents would be driving to the location anyway (and there was space since I think she could have up to 12 kids at it). I don't tend to feel bad about leaving kids out. Maybe that's mean, but it's her party and it's basically 2-3 hrs where the parents would be with the other siblings. I've never dealt with a tantruming toddler b/c her older sister has been invited to a party and she hasn't.

Hailey - April 2008
    Scarlett - April 2012
    Troy - July 2014
    *Currently enrolled in the Perinatal Support Practitioner program through Babies Naturally and looking to attend births as a student doula. Please message me for details!*

If they are family friends and the party is at our house all the kids are invited and parents too, if it is school friends, then it is just the school friend, no siblings. If the party is somewhere else, like a bowling party, then we just invited the family kids that are the same age as the birthday kid (so no siblings). If we were to invited all the siblings, then it starts to get to costly and we wouldn't be able to invite as many school friends. My friends do it like this so there is no hard feelings.

Expert Forum User

If you know the family and all the kids play together then ya invite the sibling. If your kid is friends with only the one kid like at school then only invite the one kid. I think it has more to do with the relationship then with obligation.
    ~Who ever said "don't cry over spilt milk" has never been a breast feeding mother with latch issues standing over a puddle

Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

Most of the time we have two parties. School friends only and then family/friends. Plus kids get a family dinner with just us at a restaurant of their choosing. My mom jokes it's a birthday month for them lo
    Ingalls likes this.
    Your life is a result of the choices you make, if you don't like your life it's time to start making better choices.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12