Expert Forum User

Default what to expect at a stress test with cardioligist?

I was told to expect to be there for two hours and to bring footwear comfortable to walk in. Is it the running on a treadmill while breathing into a tube that makes you feel like you are suffocating? If so I am going to fail miserably, I am having a hard time breathing while sitting here right now. I'm excited to maybe get some answers on why ECG's came back bad and I'm clearly feeling an issue or I wouldn't have asked my Dr. about an ECG, but I'm scared I'm not going to survive this test.
    Should I bring an extra t-shirt? Am I ok in jeans or should I be wearing my yoga pants? How much of a workout is this?

I had one a few years ago and I would definately wear some yoga pants! The hospital told me to wear 'slacks' -clearly they are used to older people doing stress tests. LOL I don't remember having a mask on- they do have a blood pressure cuff on at all times and all the electrodes on your chest. I remember lots of wires everywhere! They start you very slow on the treadmill and then increase the speed and incline over time. They give you warning each time it got faster and steeper. There were 2 technicians with me and they were very supportive. They are constantly watching the outputs from the sensors to see how your heart is doing and they will only push you if you're heart is coping well with the stress of the test. I had dye injected at some point into my vein as I was going somewhere else in the hospital for an MRI or CT so they could see the dye in my arteries and for that test, they really needed to push your far in the workout. Not everyone has that part of the test. It can be a workout if your heart is handing it well. So an extra t-shirt, water bottle (can't remember if they let me drink) and comfy pants are a good idea. The part I hated the most was you couldn't wear a bra! The wires are everywhere. I think a loose t-shirt might be good. Hope it goes well!

oh I should say that I don't think I ever got to actually running on the treadmill. They increase the incline and the speed quite intensely at the end, but it was never running.

Expert Forum User

Thanks for the info . . . especially the bra part, that sucks, lol.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

I had one in the summer of 2013. I wore a t shirt & a pair of yoga style capris but when it came time to get on the treadmill, they had me take my bra off & just put a hospital gown over me! I was hooked up to all kinds of cords, etc & they said it had to be done that way. Most certainly a comfortable pair of running shoes on your feet!

Expert Forum User

I just had one, my doctor didn't like my ECG results... The cardiologist did one and said it looked fine but I did a stress test anyways. Comfortable shoes, you will be hooked up to a bunch of wires and have your blood pressure check while doing it. Every 3 minutes they increase the steep and speed.

Banned

thanks for the list guys. it'll really help me.