Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Pomegranate

Thread: Anyone quit their full time job to work part time?

Default Anyone quit their full time job to work part time?

I'm seriously considering quitting my full time job after 11 years with the company. I feel like I just don't have enough time with my kids and they are struggling (and so am I). Working part-time outside of the home or even full time from home would give me more time for them and for myself. I am very nervous to quit without another job lined up, but at the same time I have no time available to interview. Anyone else been through this (single parent or otherwise)? Success stories?
    Last edited by rachbent; 03-06-2015 at 11:56 AM.

bump.

Expert Forum User

With the unemployment rates in London I would never quit a full time job without having something lined up that can guarantee part time hours.
    Is it possible to remain at your current employer on a part time basis (just a reduction in hours) to see if it meets your familial needs?
    Married 2005. DD1 2007. DD2 2011. Beta Sigma Phi 2013.
    ... and one cute little kitty!

Expert Forum User

I agree that I wouldn't quit a job at this time. I would speak to your employer first, without mentioning you have thought of quitting, but just that you have realized you want to be at home more. Some jobs do a job share, so you could work 2-3 days a week and they could hire a new employee to work the opposite days.

As a single parent, I know that my income is the only one to support the house, which means I have to work as much as I can so I can buy food.

Unfortunately I've spent the last 6 months trying to get my employer to agree to reduced hours, or to let me work from home an hour each evening in order to cut my time in the office. They won't allow it. It's incredibly frustrating.

Expert Forum User

When my kids were smaller I would have loved to work part time. Even just having an afternoon or two off would be ideal when they're doing several activities.
    But honestly, I doubt I'd be able to afford it financially.

What type of work are you looking for part time? Maybe someone here has an "in" that can help you out.
    Married 2005. DD1 2007. DD2 2011. Beta Sigma Phi 2013.
    ... and one cute little kitty!

My experience is in investments/insurance, anything from administration to customer service to process writing, project work and system testing. In an ideal world I'd be a financial advisor's office manager/executive assistant, however I'm not in a position to be overly picky. I'm more concerned about finding a job that pays more than minimum wage. I can swing it financially as long as I'm making at least $25,000 a year.

Is it even possible to find a job working 25 - 30 hours a week at $16 - $20 an hour?

Expert Forum User

I did this 7 months ago. I did find a part time job first that fit what I wanted. I was very lucky and it is working out. I gave up a lot financially, and we have had to make big adjustments but it is worth it. I get to drop my girls off at school and pick them up. I also have a very flexible schedule that works for my new employer and me. Start looking for something, talk to people you trust about the change and go for it. I applied for any part time job that I thought I could do, not necessarily in my field and I am not working on my 'career' field but that is ok. good luck, it isn't an easy decision. I didn't sleep much for almost 2 weeks during the job offer and decision stage, it was very hard, but I have no regrets.
    sorry, just realized this is in single parenting, I am not a single parent.
    Last edited by Pomegranate; 05-18-2015 at 09:04 PM.
    rachbent likes this.

Thanks for your input Pomegranate. It's nice to hear a success story! Now I just need to find time to apply for jobs and go to interviews. I'm a single parent, working full time outside the home so time is extremely limited. I'll find something I'm sure! Just needed a little nudge. Thank you.

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by rachbent View Post
    My experience is in investments/insurance, anything from administration to customer service to process writing, project work and system testing. In an ideal world I'd be a financial advisor's office manager/executive assistant, however I'm not in a position to be overly picky. I'm more concerned about finding a job that pays more than minimum wage. I can swing it financially as long as I'm making at least $25,000 a year.

Is it even possible to find a job working 25 - 30 hours a week at $16 - $20 an hour?
    I think this is possible, you may need to be creative and apply to places that are not advertising, but I do think it is possible. Good luck!