Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: OB or Midwife

Expert Forum User

I called women care when I was 5 weeks and they were booked already. I'm with thames valley

I loved the Midwives at Womancare! I had Leanne and Elizabeth for my son and they were amazing, then for my last pregnancy which sadly ended in a miscarriage at 11 weeks I had Annette, she was great too (from my few appointments with her) , and during my miscarriage I dealt with Carley and Sarah and they went above and beyond, and were so compassionate and helpful. So, I have dealt with a lot of them and loved them all. I will definitely be going there again if we get pregnant with our third. I have no personal experience with Thames Valley, but I've heard they are all great too! Good luck!

(I also had an OB with my first and have to say my experience was great too, I guess I've been very lucky!)
    llubberts likes this.

Expert Forum User

I have four children and have had two with each OBs and midwives, I would recommend a midwife. The visits are so much nicer and the care is more personal. I took all three children with me to the midwife, she was very patient and explained things to them. You don't have to pay for parking and it's super close parking...this was a big plus for me..lol I really liked the idea of homebirth but did not get to try it. I went to Womancare.
    Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants.~Michael Pollan, author of In Defense of Food
    If we want to move towards a low-polluting, sustainable society, we need to get consumers to think about their purchases-David Suzuki
    "You must be the change you want to see in the world"- Mahatma Gandhi

Expert Forum User

I had Karen, Esther, and Hayley at Thames Valley and they were all excellent. Karen was my primary MW, but Esther was there for the birth and was really hands off and let me do my thing until she caught DS.

Hailey - April 2008
    Scarlett - April 2012
    Troy - July 2014
    *Currently enrolled in the Perinatal Support Practitioner program through Babies Naturally and looking to attend births as a student doula. Please message me for details!*

Expert Forum User

I would go with a mw everytime MW didn't really exist when I was pregnant in Windsor and even now I believe there are 2 MW for essex county? I liked my OB, but went into labour on a weekend (he had 2 weekends off a month) and the on-call guy showed up when I was 10cm on a table and realized there were complications at that time
    With my 2nd one I realized that you didn't HAVE to book appts for 9am so you were more likely to be seen right away, and don't have to wait for 2 hours when you have an appt in the afternoon, I was always in right away with my mw. I realized that while my OB was great at answering questions I had, that there were many topics I didn't even KNOW to ask about, but my MW would inform me of these things and explain about them. My mw was wonderful and very supportive, and was ok with me not getting an epidural, and then was ok when I had horrible back labour and wanted an epidural.
    She was with WomanCare

I'm so sorry to hear you had such a bad midwife experience. I'd definitely suggest a different centre. We have been with Womancare for 2 babies now (one still on the way) and I cannot say enough positive things about them and the support they offer. I've also heard great things about talbot creek midwives.

congratulations I would highly highly recommend Jennifer McCuteon at Womencare. Awesome gal

Expert Forum User

At this point it's probably too late in the game anyways, but I'm still undecided.
    If I go OB - I receive 'by the book' care on a schedule, but long waits in the waiting room which will be difficult with a little person.
    If I go MW - I receive 'by the book' care on a schedule more geared to *me* and my comfort level, waiting room waits would be nil... which is easier with a little person.

If I go OB - I make my family and in-laws happy.
    If I go MW - it's one more thing I have to listen to people ***** about. (and trust me, I'll be hearing a lot of crap over the next while...)

Quote Originally Posted by IsisBaily View Post
    At this point it's probably too late in the game anyways, but I'm still undecided.
    If I go OB - I receive 'by the book' care on a schedule, but long waits in the waiting room which will be difficult with a little person.
    If I go MW - I receive 'by the book' care on a schedule more geared to *me* and my comfort level, waiting room waits would be nil... which is easier with a little person.

If I go OB - I make my family and in-laws happy.
    If I go MW - it's one more thing I have to listen to people ***** about. (and trust me, I'll be hearing a lot of crap over the next while...)
    I've never had a midwife only OB and had a good experience. It's not true that the wait times are long at LHSc. The OB's aren't delivering babies when they do clinic so you don't wait. I'm pregnant now and usually taken in before my appointment times and in and out.

Quote Originally Posted by southerngal View Post
    congratulations I would highly highly recommend Jennifer McCuteon at Womencare. Awesome gal
    I would recommend any of the other midwives. Jennifer is good but missed a few things during my birth which have had lasting effects.

I had a great experience with Dr. Maruncic as an OB. He seemed very in line with many of the philosophy's prominent with a midwife. What about asking for a referral to Dr. Maruncic and then getting a Doula? Also hint... if you make your appointments with Dr. Maruncic as early as possible in the day you're far less likely to have to wait long. I always made my appointments for "first appointment of the day" and never had to wait.

Expert Forum User

I'd suggest contacting them. Because the decision maybe made for you. It was for me. every mid wife was booked up even though I found out and called then when I was 5 weeks
    ~Who ever said "don't cry over spilt milk" has never been a breast feeding mother with latch issues standing over a puddle

Expert Forum User

You might not be too late though if you are a returning MW client. At my 6 week check-up my MW said that (b/c DH and I weren't 100% decided on whether or not we are done having kids) appointments are primarily reserved for returning clients first and if those aren't booked up that's when 1st time wait-listed clients are called. Obviously it's a bigger decision if you had issues with L&D care there, but I would definitely still call and/or email to see if you could return and have different midwives this time around.

Hailey - April 2008
    Scarlett - April 2012
    Troy - July 2014
    *Currently enrolled in the Perinatal Support Practitioner program through Babies Naturally and looking to attend births as a student doula. Please message me for details!*

You have to do what YOU want, not what you know everyone else wants for you.
    SpringChicks and Doula like this.

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by pricetag View Post
    I've never had a midwife only OB and had a good experience. It's not true that the wait times are long at LHSc. The OB's aren't delivering babies when they do clinic so you don't wait. I'm pregnant now and usually taken in before my appointment times and in and out.

You're lucky, my experience was quite different. I was left waiting for up to 3 hours or more for every appointment with my OB's.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast