Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: OB or Midwife

Expert Forum User

Default OB or Midwife

*Please nothing on FB or to my family, we haven't officially announced anything*

I am trying to decide between seeing a midwife again or having an OB.

Preg #1 - I went OB, care was good and the experience wasn't terrible, but when I was put into labor I began to feel rushed by my OB as she began making comments.

Preg #2 - I went OB, my main OB was good, I liked her, although she didn't really develop any sort of relationship with me and I felt like I was talking to a stranger when I'd bring up concerns. She did often have students filling in for her and one particular student of hers didn't listen to me when I told her I did NOT want a stretch and sweep and to stop. I went home feeling upset. When it came to the birth, everything went well and I felt supported.

Preg #3 - I went Midwife, I really enjoyed my midwife, we built a relationship and she really cared. Her care essentially extended passed my time seeing her when she got me in with a hematologist who I have been seeing every 3 months for 2 years - I was finally 'set free' last week when my blood work came back good. That said, my birth experience was horrible and at the birth I actually asked for an OB because I felt as though the team I had working with me didn't care and one of the midwives on the team actually mocked me and acted as though I didn't know what labor felt like, when she proceeded to show me how I should look in labor.

I'm pregnant again, and having a hard time with this decision. I don't want to talk to family about it as I know they would steer me towards having an OB, and if I do choose to have an OB, I think I would like to go with Dr Eastabrook if possible. If I go the midwife route, I'll have that relationship and maybe this time we can have the home birth we wanted with #3. I would like this experience to be flawless - this will be our last baby as we are planning to take a more permanent approach to controlling our fertility.

Given the circumstances/experiences above - wwyd?

Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

I've only ever had an OB. I don't know what I'd do in your situtation. I just wanted to say Congrats.
    Your life is a result of the choices you make, if you don't like your life it's time to start making better choices.

Expert Forum User

If you go with a midwife, knowing how poorly supported you were, I would go with a different group. Both times I have ended up with different midwifes at my births... But they have been great with me. With my third I actually had the awesome midwife that missed my seconds birth.

With an ob, you will be even more hit and miss as to who is at the birth. No idea which nurse you will get, or which ob is in then and there.

Either way, if you really want that connection... Consider a doula.
    Last edited by a_bun_in_the_oven; 03-04-2015 at 09:38 AM.

Expert Forum User

I had OBs with my first two and a midwife with my 3rd. I really enjoyed the care with my MW a lot more. I would be upset with the way you were treated during labour though. I agree that having a doula in either situation would be helpful, both to support you and prevent that type of situation from occuring again. If you aren't comfortable going with the same midwife group try calling the other 2 asap and hopefully you could get in with one of them. Or, since you are guaranteed a spot with your previous midwife group, talk about what happened in your last labour and possibly request a different MW during this pregnancy/delivery. Either way, congrats and I hope you are feeling well so far!
    a_bun_in_the_oven likes this.

Hailey - April 2008
    Scarlett - April 2012
    Troy - July 2014
    *Currently enrolled in the Perinatal Support Practitioner program through Babies Naturally and looking to attend births as a student doula. Please message me for details!*

Expert Forum User

I've asked the doula I had at my last birth to come for this one. We absolutely loved her and I wouldn't have it any other way!

Thank you.
    SpringChicks likes this.

I had an OB for my first birth and a midwife for my last 2. I would do midwife again hands down, but I had an awesome experience. I have heard people that don't have a good midwife experience and I have been with Talbot Creek both times and LOVED them both times. I have nothing bad to say. My last delivery (6 weeks ago today) was amazing and I felt like they supported me without pressuring me to do anything. I had an easy delivery and awesome post partum care. I love that they come to your house for the first 3 visits. They actually did a couple extra house visits to do weigh ins when she wasn't gaining as much due to her jaundice.
    I think if you know this is your last and you really wanted a home birth, a midwife is the way to go. There is no reason why you can't bring up your concerns from your last delivery.
    Congrats!
    a_bun_in_the_oven likes this.

Expert Forum User

I am considering Woman Care but I'm still undecided. Experiences?

Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

I didn't have my own OB at either birth! But the two I ended up having were both fantastic!
    Your life is a result of the choices you make, if you don't like your life it's time to start making better choices.

Expert Forum User

i had womencare and they were fantastic, i've told everyone i know to go with them.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Personally, I had an OB with my 1st birth & had a horrid experience with her. Everything that could have gone wrong, did go wrong & she left me feeling very upset about the whole labour & birth experience. Apparently, many other women had similar problems & complaints with this particular OB. The next time I got pregnant, I leaned towards a midwife because I wanted a different experience. I ended up having a completely natural birth (it was a VBAC for me). Had I known more about midwives the first time around, I would have chosen to go that route as opposed to the route I took in the end but that is me & my preference. If I were you, I would either go with another midwifery company, as well as different midwives (especially if you go with the same company you went with last time) or another option for you is to look into utilizing a family Doctor which still does baby deliveries (and yes, they do still exist. According to someone I recently met, she is with one now & there are about 3 in London. I am just not certain who they are but you could do some research on that if interested). Best of luck to you!

Quote Originally Posted by IsisBaily View Post
    I am considering Woman Care but I'm still undecided. Experiences?
    I had an absolutely phenomenal experience with Womancare. My primary midwife was fantastic, as were the others I dealt with! I highly recommend them!

Here's an alternative that might be a good fit for you (link below). Dr Cairns and Dr Smits are family physicians who provide pre and post partem care. They are both very personable. Dr Smits attended my delivery was great a great support during my unmedicated and eventful delivery. Hope you find the team that suits you.
    Maternity Care in London, Ontario - Old South Maternity Care
    Doula likes this.

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by 2boysmom View Post
    Personally, I had an OB with my 1st birth & had a horrid experience with her. Everything that could have gone wrong, did go wrong & she left me feeling very upset about the whole labour & birth experience. Apparently, many other women had similar problems & complaints with this particular OB. The next time I got pregnant, I leaned towards a midwife because I wanted a different experience. I ended up having a completely natural birth (it was a VBAC for me). Had I known more about midwives the first time around, I would have chosen to go that route as opposed to the route I took in the end but that is me & my preference. If I were you, I would either go with another midwifery company, as well as different midwives (especially if you go with the same company you went with last time) or another option for you is to look into utilizing a family Doctor which still does baby deliveries (and yes, they do still exist. According to someone I recently met, she is with one now & there are about 3 in London. I am just not certain who they are but you could do some research on that if interested). Best of luck to you!
    Please do not go with Rachel Schaefer. She delivered DD1 and I did not feel supported or heard during that pregnancy/delivery.

Hailey - April 2008
    Scarlett - April 2012
    Troy - July 2014
    *Currently enrolled in the Perinatal Support Practitioner program through Babies Naturally and looking to attend births as a student doula. Please message me for details!*

Quote Originally Posted by DNAmama View Post
    Here's an alternative that might be a good fit for you (link below). Dr Cairns and Dr Smits are family physicians who provide pre and post partem care. They are both very personable. Dr Smits attended my delivery was great a great support during my unmedicated and eventful delivery. Hope you find the team that suits you.
    Maternity Care in London, Ontario - Old South Maternity Care
    I second them. Dr Smits is a friend of mine and she's wonderful. I've met her partner and she seemed equally lovely. I love the whole concept of their practice and wish that had been around when I was first pregnant.

Congrats on baby #4! I'd suggest the same as others here. Since you are considering a home birth I would either talk to your old midwife provider and let them know your concerns that occurred during your last birth or switch to another midwife centre (if you are able to get in). You said you were considering Womancare and I would highly recommend them. Hope you are able to find a good solution for you.
    I am a Masters student studying Maternal Health Geography and I'm also a labour doula. Please visit www.facebook.com/ExperienceBirthTheDoulaWay or my doula match profile at http://doulamatch.net/profile/5004/caren-raedts for more information.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast