Expert Forum User

Default Parents liable for child's vandalism/prank

Boy's school prank leaves parents with $48,000 bill | CTV News

I was talking about this with a friend and she was disgusted that the parents were sued for the damage caused by their 14yr old kid. On the other hand, I think the kid was old enough to know better and they should pay up for his idiocy. What's everyone else think?
    Married 2005. DD1 2007. DD2 2011. Beta Sigma Phi 2013.
    ... and one cute little kitty!

Social Media Guru

At 14, the judge should have ordered the boy to get a job and pay...sorry but at 14 the boy should be the one being held accountable for his actions.

also I find it odd that it would be so much, isn't this what insurance is for and the school should definitely have it which means that the school should have only had a deductible to pay.
    Last edited by sweetsteps; 01-10-2015 at 06:55 PM.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Seems excessive to me. I highly doubt he had any intention of it being such a huge deal. He probably expected it would be a minor annoyance since the friend would have to find the janitor, ask to borrow a ladder to retrieve his lock, something like that. So yes, he screwed up, but I would think some community service or something, and the school can make an insurance claim. MAYbe, have the parents pay the deductible - and hopefully the parents then get the kid to work off that money or pay it back to them over time, whatever.
    There are so many things you hear of of kids actually doing things with bad intentions, violent and otherwise, I don't think something like this should cost a family what many make in one entire year.
    DD1 age 7 DS age 11
    "I will remember you." July/10
    Baby Elaina born October 28th, 2011. Making every single day that much more special.
    INTERESTED IN BUYING DVDS OF OLD KIDS' SHOWS. Mr.Rogers', Mr.Dressup, Polka Dot Door, etc

Intention don't matter to me the kid should have been ordered to pay not his parents.
    would it suck for the kid to get saddled with that kind of debt yep but its not fair to his parents to get hit with it at all.

Expert Forum User

You can't saddle a 14 year old with debt - legally his parents are responsible because he's a minor.

That said, I too think that the school's insurance should have covered a large portion of the damage (maybe it's the insurance company that brought the suit? The article doesn't say) and the parents should only have to cover the deductible.

Parents covering the deductible seems fair to me. Handing over a 48k bill for a dumb mistake by a 14 year old is over the top. He clearly had no intentions of causing this amount of damage, albeit he made a stupid choice as 14 years old sometimes do. 48k could cause a lot of hardship for many families. The school would have insurance.
    Cole is 8 years old! January, 2005
    Nate is 5 years old! January, 2008
    Judah is 2 years old! October, 2010
    Avery Grace born & passed Feb 4, 2007.

"Why did I not know that birth is the pinnacle where women discover the courage to become mothers?"
    Anita Diamant (The Red Tent)

Im wondering if the insurance company has refused to pay it because the damage was caused by a prank. I don't think it's fair that the parents have to pay but in the end they are responsible for the minor. The parents can maybe make the kid get a job and pay off the amount to them.

Expert Forum User

I read the decision through the link and the argument/key in this particular situation was that the 1950 Education Act in BC says that students and their parents are jointly responsible for intentional or negligent damages to school property. So the court only needed to satisfy itself that there was an intentional attempt to damage and the parents were on the hook under the Education Act. Not sure why there was no argument that this rule is different than the "parental responsibility act" in BC which says parents only liable to max. of $10K and only if intentional and they provided lack of reasonable supervision (and how much supervision should a parent provide during school time .... ??).

Seems like a pretty unique case but also pretty scary to me that the courts ignored common sense and what seems reasonable here.