Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By pricetag
  • 1 Post By ClaireJ
  • 1 Post By AuntPetunia
  • 1 Post By lovemylittles

Thread: 18 Month verbal milestones - experiences?

Default 18 Month verbal milestones - experiences?

Have to take our little guy in for his 18 mth check up and I know the dr. is going to give me grief about his verbal abilities. All the stuff I read (and what I see from others his age) tells me he should be further along with his speech. Right now he says almost nothing spontaneously - just babbling that makes no sense and is very repetitive. If I ask him to say "mama, dada, night night, cracker, hi, bye" he will repeat it, but he will never just say it on his own. Maybe a handful of times he's waved and said "hi" in the mirror. Think I should be worried?
    I have an appt to have his hearing tested later in the week (before his dr. appt b/c I know that's what our dr will say he needs).

I don't mind going through tyke talk and all of that stuff if it's what he truly needs, but sometimes I think there's just a lot of hype for no reason. Of course I don't want to ignore it though as I know early intervention for these things is key.

Thoughts?

I think you need to trust your mommy instincts. Ds didn't say much before age two. Once he started talking he was hard to understand and I wanted to do speech therapy but dh thought he would catch up. Within the first week of JK, the teacher wanted to put him in speech therapy and of course I said yes. He is still getting speech therapy in sk but has come so far. I wish I had started earlier. There can be a long wait for tyketalk so it might not hurt to start the process and then if he catches up you can stop.
    Proud mom to ds born Sept. 2009 and dd born May 2012

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

I wouldn't be worrying about speech therapy at that age. I had a super early talker and then a more average, maybe even late talker. It was a real eye opener into what is
    actually normal: there is no actual normal. They develop at different speeds.
    There are other ways to know ifhe's on track for stuff without speech. I'd look at that more before deciding if you need to worry. You'll know, from your own interactions with
    him and seeing others his age. How he plays, how he reacts to music or stories, how he reacts to people.

I agree that there's a bit of overhyping the whole speech thing. I wouldn't say don't look into it later, but at eighteen months? I wouldn't even consider it, for my own.
    DD1 age 7 DS age 11
    "I will remember you." July/10
    Baby Elaina born October 28th, 2011. Making every single day that much more special.
    INTERESTED IN BUYING DVDS OF OLD KIDS' SHOWS. Mr.Rogers', Mr.Dressup, Polka Dot Door, etc

Why not get the help now if it could prevent further problems down the road? Speech services in school are more difficult to get than preschool. There is definitely a normal range for language development and from your description your kiddo is about 6 months behind. Just think that if there may be some easy strategies you could implement now that would help support his language skills. The service is free too. Late talkers can go on to have ongoing speech and language problems down the road and can have difficulty with literacy. If it was a physical problem would you still be hesitating? Just my two cents.
    gogomom likes this.

I was a little concerned with my daughters speech so I decided to contact Tyke Talk directly (not through a Dr.) Honestly they are fantastic, they carried out an initial assessment to see what help she needed. To date we have attended 2 courses, each showing useful strategies to help with the child's speech at home. She has come along way although some days are still difficult to understand her. We will get another follow up before she starts school. I agree it is best to see someone earlier. I have heard from others that it is more difficult to obtain the services once the child is in school. For us it was important to have the issue addressed before she started school.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    gogomom likes this.

Expert Forum User

My first was speaking in full sentences at 18mo, and I was concerned as there were a few kids that spoke clearer then her.

Then my middle was hearing impaired until 15mo and had just started to babble at 18mo (we had 2 words at 21mo, and a handful at 2). We had her assessed at Tyke Talk at 27mo (had around 75 words then), they actually weren't too concerned about her since they knew why she was delayed, was told she had a mild expressive delay and to just work with her at home. I wasn't too concerned either as she was picking up words at that point pretty rapidly. At 4 she speaks well, some enunciation issues but nothing out of the norm for a JKer.

Kiddo 3 isn't talking yet, and I hope she doesn't anytime soon. I don't need more gibber jabber in my house right now

I would also recommend contacting Tyke Talk and seeing what they say. They are the experts, they can tell you if it's a concern or not. They may say the imitation is enough, they may say he should have a consult. Wait lists, right? Worst thing that happens is that you cancel because he starts chattering. Otherwise, you've got your foot in the door if he needs it later.
    gogomom likes this.

I'm another for calling Tyke Talk. I had two early talkers and then my last child needs speech therapy. It was difficult to accept he might need help, and I waited and wondered if he would catch up when I really should have just called.
    The initial appointment is really simple. They will ask you questions about your concerns and listen to his speech using flip book pictures if I remember correctly. They will write down what they observe and give you an indication of what they think is happening. If he needs therapy, it will be 45 minutes sessions once a week for 8 weeks. The therapy itself is done by playing games and playing with the speech pathologist, or at least that was our experience. My son enjoyed it, but it took a year to get in to an actual block of therapy. I did see a big improvement in those 8 weeks too.
    Cole is 8 years old! January, 2005
    Nate is 5 years old! January, 2008
    Judah is 2 years old! October, 2010
    Avery Grace born & passed Feb 4, 2007.

"Why did I not know that birth is the pinnacle where women discover the courage to become mothers?"
    Anita Diamant (The Red Tent)

Thanks for all of your insights, ladies!
    Now we know his hearing is "within normal range" so we'll submit a request/referral to tyketalk this coming week and go from there.
    I do still think he is perfectly normal and that 18mths is quite young, but of course I will be thorough and make sure we do what we can. I think the range of "normal" is much larger than many of allow for and I do think that often boys are slower to speak than girls. I have a feeling that in 6 months I'll have another little voice around the house telling me what to do
    Carol likes this.

Expert Forum User

My middle DS was delayed in speech at 2 he had a handful of words so we went to Tyke Talk - they were amazing, and we saw a huge improvement in a very short time.
    We ended up paying for private speech therapy when he started JK as that's the cut-off for Tyke Talk....

Expert Forum User

there is no harm in doing speech therapy. it was fun for us. pax didn't talk at all until he was 2.5
    he had sad first words but only once each ad only a handful of words.

I signed him up for tike talk and I explained to him before we went that we were going to talking class to learn to talk. after the first class he spent the next week trying new sounds he had never tried before.

he was diagnosed with a delay between the brain and tounge muscles. they showed us small games to play to help develop the muscles.
    But I truly believe he just needed some motivation. Sort of a "now is the time to learn to talk" that the class provided
    ~Who ever said "don't cry over spilt milk" has never been a breast feeding mother with latch issues standing over a puddle