Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Should students be exempt from religion in catholic high schools?

Expert Forum User

Yes should be mandatory. If not then the dual system serves too few to justify the expense. If both boards had enough my thoughts may be different .... but the reality is neither have enough as it is so ensure there is some reason for the difference or end the two systems.
    sardam and Mum 2 Alyssa like this.

I think the catholic board should just be funded by catholics than they have the right to say what courses are mandatory like religious studies. The problem comes when they are funded by government and tax payers who aren't catholic. I think if you're going to attend a catholic school don't expect an exemption, attend a public school than in that case. I attended catholic highschool, still got all my required courses to attend UWO (without being exempt from the religion class).
    Last edited by southerngal; 01-01-2015 at 12:56 PM.
    sardam likes this.

Expert Forum User

I thought the funding came from tax dollars from parents who check off the 'we're catholic' box on that survey they send around every year? No?

Anyways, I think it should be mandatory all the way through. I'm sort of from the school of "what could be more important in a Catholic school than learning about faith?" It's one of my favourite things about my kids' Catholic elementary school, that they learn about the birth of Jesus and bible stories and go to the masses, etc. I do think anyone who wants to should be able to send their kids to the Catholic schools. I have Christian friends who wish they could send their kids and I think they should be able to. But I feel like if you're going to Catholic school, then learning about the religion is part and parcel.

[/url]

Super Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

It is not mandatory in all school boards.. When I moved to London in OAC I had to make up ALL of my religion credits before they would let me graudate. Back home it was only mandatory in Grade 9 and 10.
    Findabhair likes this.
    *~* The point isn't whether they lived happily ever after, the point is that they lived*~

Super Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

As for funding - it is not just those that check that box off that are funding catholic schools....
    *~* The point isn't whether they lived happily ever after, the point is that they lived*~

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by Happily Ever After View Post
    It is not mandatory in all school boards.. When I moved to London in OAC I had to make up ALL of my religion credits before they would let me graudate. Back home it was only mandatory in Grade 9 and 10.
    That's interesting. The LDCSB just changed baptism entrance requirements for elementary school in 2014. Many other boards made this change years ago. The rules should be the same across the province, not change board to board.

I am catholic, went to catholic schools growing up. My highschool was only 3 years old when I went to it, Beautiful facility and just as full of drugs as any other highschool. I don't think it's fair to assume that just because its an older school means more drugs, believe me if you were to send your children to a brand new catholic school the drugs are still there. Last I heard there was a major cocaine problem in my old highschool, kids doing it in the bathrooms etc. (Went to school out of the county in a rural community) As for the religion part of it, I hated attended the mandatory masses, and often tried to bail whenever I could but I didn't mind the religion class. I think if you register to sign up for a catholic school then expect to attend catholic classes or move schools.
    southerngal likes this.

Expert Forum User

Your going to find drugs at any high school - in fact, anywhere you find teenagers, you find drugs - sorry.

I have a kid at Saunders and he has friends at STA and RMC - they all have similar stories to tell about drug use.

I was raised Catholic and went to Catholic High school took religion in grade 9 and 10 and yes it was mandatory to take it in order to graduate. I don't think it should be that way anymore. It should be optional in Catholic High schools.

In all honestly, how many of you remember remember what you've been taught in grade 9/10 religion courses?.... I certainly don't. Many of the kids skipped masses and I bet not many remember what they've learned anyway. Also many kids including me treated religion courses as a way to bump up your grades. Religious courses were not taking seriously by all the students and I bet it's the same way now. So why make it mandatory?

Im not at all religious, but I do think if Your child is going to go to a Catholic Highschool, religion should be mandatory until Grade 10, like you said. I think going into grade 11, you are more likely able to make that choice for yourself.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12