• 1 Post By a_bun_in_the_oven
  • 1 Post By a_bun_in_the_oven
  • 1 Post By one ordinary girl
  • 1 Post By dexter6
  • 1 Post By momx2

Thread: LGA vs Forest City Gymnastics

Expert Forum User

Default LGA vs Forest City Gymnastics

Does anyone have any feedback in regards to London Gymnastics Academy and Forest City Gymnastics Club. This would be for recreational gymnastics for a 9 year old girl who has a really strong foundation before starting. I'm especially interested in how good the coaching is at each. Thanks!

We have only done LGA but for a few years. My girls are younger. We have always had good experience there. Some of the coaches are really great... from what I can see!
    jasterling likes this.

Expert Forum User

My 7 year old has been doing gymnastics since she was 4 on and off. She would be in the same "class" as your daughter (rec intermediate). I have no issues with the coaching, but again each child in rec is at their own level. There are kids like my own who are still working on lower level fundamentals, and then kids in the same class that are amazing.
    jasterling likes this.

Expert Forum User

I know some don't like Gymworld because it is too recreational, but we have liked it. They have 3 (or 4?) different levels for each age group. They have an advanced rec on Friday nights that might be a fit for your daughter or check LGA or FCG for advanced rec classes. If you are going to enroll her in a regular rec class at any gym what ABITO said is very true, the skill level of the kids will vary a lot. I don`t think you can go wrong with either LGA or FCG, I personally would pick based on location and class time that fits your schedule. I only know a very high level competitive gymnast at LGA, and she gets great coaching, but also spends 20 hours a week in the gym (she is 9). The few families I know at FCG in rec classes like it there as well, but they are beginners at age 7.
    jasterling likes this.

Expert Forum User

Thanks for the feedback!

Quote Originally Posted by a_bun_in_the_oven View Post
    My 7 year old has been doing gymnastics since she was 4 on and off. She would be in the same "class" as your daughter (rec intermediate). I have no issues with the coaching, but again each child in rec is at their own level. There are kids like my own who are still working on lower level fundamentals, and then kids in the same class that are amazing.
    This is good to know - so the different levels within the same class doesn't seem to be an issue? Do all of the kids get enough personal coaching/attention?

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by jasterling View Post
    Thanks for the feedback!

This is good to know - so the different levels within the same class doesn't seem to be an issue? Do all of the kids get enough personal coaching/attention?
    Yes. Her class is pretty small (~7 kids) and there is an instructor and a "helper". She gets a lot of 1 on 1 attention, as do the kids that are more advanced then her (eg, they might be doing things on the higher of the uneven bars while she's still working on flipping over on the parallel bars. The class is very cycled (both where they are in the gym and what mini-activity they are using).

Eg, In the bars area there will be a teacher working with 2 kids on the parallel bars at their level, while the helper might be working with some kids on the uneven bars, and then another activity is taking place in the same area --- and they rotate through, sometimes with a teacher or helper, sometimes independently - after they have been instructed.

My daughters class has one boy in it who is fantastic (and another very strong female student as well) and they really try to keep them challenged (but the other kids work at their own pace/level). I saw the one kid doing cartwheels on the beam (with minimal assistance), mine is not able to do a cartwheel, and needs help with a front roll on the beam.
    jasterling likes this.

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by a_bun_in_the_oven View Post
    Yes. Her class is pretty small (~7 kids) and there is an instructor and a "helper". She gets a lot of 1 on 1 attention, as do the kids that are more advanced then her (eg, they might be doing things on the higher of the uneven bars while she's still working on flipping over on the parallel bars. The class is very cycled (both where they are in the gym and what mini-activity they are using).

Eg, In the bars area there will be a teacher working with 2 kids on the parallel bars at their level, while the helper might be working with some kids on the uneven bars, and then another activity is taking place in the same area --- and they rotate through, sometimes with a teacher or helper, sometimes independently - after they have been instructed.

My daughters class has one boy in it who is fantastic (and another very strong female student as well) and they really try to keep them challenged (but the other kids work at their own pace/level). I saw the one kid doing cartwheels on the beam (with minimal assistance), mine is not able to do a cartwheel, and needs help with a front roll on the beam.
    Which gym is your daughter at?

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by jasterling View Post
    Which gym is your daughter at?
    LGA
    jasterling likes this.

Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

we used to be at LGA and I was quite happy with the instruction both my girls received. Before that we were at Gymworld and when they were small ( under 3) it was great but once dd hit the age of 4 I found they never challenged her enough. She wasn't ever learning anything new. I haven't been to the Forest City Gymnastics Club but have heard good things about if from a few ppl. They are happy with the instruction their kids are given.
    jasterling likes this.
    Your life is a result of the choices you make, if you don't like your life it's time to start making better choices.

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by one ordinary girl View Post
    we used to be at LGA and I was quite happy with the instruction both my girls received. Before that we were at Gymworld and when they were small ( under 3) it was great but once dd hit the age of 4 I found they never challenged her enough. She wasn't ever learning anything new. I haven't been to the Forest City Gymnastics Club but have heard good things about if from a few ppl. They are happy with the instruction their kids are given.
    Gymworld has changed a lot in the past few years, it really is a good recreational facility. They are trying a pre-competitive and competitive program as well, and they have advanced rec. There are some good gymnasts there and the coaching is good, although it can be inconsistent, but that can happen anywhere with rec. They are also building a huge new facility.

My daughter attends LGA but all three are fine for recreational. LGA and Forest City are both great for competitive whereas GymWorld is just beginning with their competitive program. All three have excellent coaching staff - many are former national and provincial gymnasts. We didn't try Forest City simply because it's on the completely opposite side of the city and I would be driving for longer than the class would be.
    jasterling likes this.

Expert Forum User

My daughter goes to BEJE gymnastics, Nick is her coach and he is really great. There are 8 in her class at different levels. We also have been to LGA but we moved and BEJE is much closer. We are very happy with the change.
    jasterling likes this.
    Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants.~Michael Pollan, author of In Defense of Food
    If we want to move towards a low-polluting, sustainable society, we need to get consumers to think about their purchases-David Suzuki
    "You must be the change you want to see in the world"- Mahatma Gandhi

Expert Forum User

Thanks again for all the feedback! We ended up going with Forest City simply because the location works and it had the best day/time for us .