Default Child Care Subsidy Question, help please.

Hello all,

My husband and I are going back to school this January (in London) and we are applying for child care subsidy. I spoke with a subsidy worker recently and she seemed to be paying a lot of attention to the distribution of the class room hours during the day, whether my husband or I could care for our child part of the day, for which we would not be qualified for subsidy. She also mentioned something about we would be qualified for full-day subsidy only if our class schedules are such that we would not be able to care for the child at least 6 hours during the day, otherwise we would get only half-day subsidy.

Does anyone know how this works?

Say if we both go to school from 10am to 3pm, that's 5 hours, does that mean we would be eligible only for half-day subsidy? But then I don't think there is a day care center that would allow you to place your child with them for only 5 hours smack in the middle of the day like that.

And say what if our class schedules change next semester to 8am-11am and then from 6pm-8pm (that's 5 hours, too, but the afternoon will become open), will they find out about this and take away the subsidy for the afternoon? If we have to care for our child in the afternoon then we won't have time to study outside of classroom. We don't know how rigorously the child care subsiy people check our schedules once we are in the system and start accepting subsidy payments so we are quite worried.

Please let us know your experience on this.

Thanks!

Expert Forum User

I would make a list of each day of the week and colour code List drop-off time for him, and your estimated drive/bus time to school (including the winter weather slow-down, and based on actual bus schedules) - put as 1 colour, then list the time of each of your classes and put as another colour and husband's as a 3rd colour. Then include a fourth and fifth colour for tentative study time. Also, if you know how far away the parking lot/bus is, you could walk and time it and add that to "drive" time. I know when I was in university I often had a 5-15 minute walk depending on how busy the lots were and which building I had to get to.

I am not sure what a daycare counts as as half-day or counting in your drive time how long it really would be. I would call a couple daycares in your area and ask about 9:30-3:30 and if that is 1/2 time. The only time daycare doesn't allow pick up/drop off is 12-2, which is nap time. That time would be common with daycares I would think if you are in school for 5 hours, but need time to drive/bus there, and then need to walk to class from the bus or parking lot, then walk back, so you would "actually" require over 6 hours of care.

Yes, there is a chance they will keep an eye on your schedule. I am not sure how it works with school. But I don't work in July/August, so I lose subsidy during that time and keep my son home (not "lose", but they put it on hold), although 2 years ago I had a 2nd (part-time) job so had my availability for work W-F, and had him in daycare those 3 days and was able to keep subsidy over summer. They don't put it on hold for xmas break or short things.
    Last edited by melissawilliam; 11-20-2014 at 06:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by melissawilliam View Post
    I would make a list of each day of the week and colour code List drop-off time for him, and your estimated drive/bus time to school (including the winter weather slow-down, and based on actual bus schedules) - put as 1 colour, then list the time of each of your classes and put as another colour and husband's as a 3rd colour. Then include a fourth and fifth colour for tentative study time. Also, if you know how far away the parking lot/bus is, you could walk and time it and add that to "drive" time. I know when I was in university I often had a 5-15 minute walk depending on how busy the lots were and which building I had to get to.

I am not sure what a daycare counts as as half-day or counting in your drive time how long it really would be. I would call a couple daycares in your area and ask about 9:30-3:30 and if that is 1/2 time. The only time daycare doesn't allow pick up/drop off is 12-2, which is nap time. That time would be common with daycares I would think if you are in school for 5 hours, but need time to drive/bus there, and then need to walk to class from the bus or parking lot, then walk back, so you would "actually" require over 6 hours of care.

Yes, there is a chance they will keep an eye on your schedule. I am not sure how it works with school. But I don't work in July/August, so I lose subsidy during that time and keep my son home (not "lose", but they put it on hold), although 2 years ago I had a 2nd (part-time) job so had my availability for work W-F, and had him in daycare those 3 days and was able to keep subsidy over summer. They don't put it on hold for xmas break or short things.
    Melissa,

Thank you so much for your detailed response. If I take a temp job at, say, Target, do the subsidy people do surprise drop-in or call your manager up to see if you are working according to the work schedule you have submitted to them? I am not trying to game the system, I merely want to know whether I would have some flexibility in arranging my hours once the subsidy starts flowing. Do let me know your experience.
    Thank you.

Expert Forum User

I don't know if they actually call to confirm your availability. But when I gave my availability as Wed-Sun at my part-time job (his dad would watch him weekends when needed), it didn't mean they would book me all 5 days, and many times I would only be booked for 4 or 5 hour shifts.
    My regular job is on call, so they know that I don't work much in September, have a couple weeks off at Christmas, and work full-time April-June.
    They check for confirmation of my employment, but I haven't heard of them checking up, but really have no idea if they have or not. They have never told me that I HAD to accept every job offer. Sometimes I turn down jobs that are too far away (I won't drive over 30 minutes anymore) or I don't feel like doing them that day, in hopes of getting a better/closer job offer for that day.

I don't know how subsidy figs who is eligible for what. I do know that there is a YMCA flex care daycare on the UWO campus. My boys started there and it was perfect hours for what I needed at the time. I hope that helps a little