Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Mammie
  • 1 Post By procizion12
  • 1 Post By hockeymomof3

Thread: Child support, when does it stop?

Expert Forum User

Default Child support, when does it stop?

I haven't been on here in a long time, life has been busy but LMs always knows the answers. When does a support payer stop paying support? My oldest DD is 16 and is planning on attending college I am going to have to pay for some if not all of it along with her lodgings, he dad has never paid anything on top of support so I am worried about having to pay for it all. I applied for FRO when he stopped paying a while ago and am still waiting for that to go through, if when it goes through when do they stop taking payments? Also when do they take back pay? Do I need to see a lawyer to make sure he keeps paying while our daughter is in college or is that something that just doesn't happen?

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

If it is not in your court order that he cover college costs then he is off the hook for them.
    In most situations child support ends at 18.

In our order we pay until SDD is no longer enrolled in full time school or she hits a certain age. I would have to pull out the order to check. I can't remember if we pay a portion of her schooling costs as well. I am sure that we will if we can.
    planejane likes this.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Usually child support will continue past 18 if the child lives with you and is in school full time. I don't think there is any obligation for him to pay for college though.
    Mommy to three adorable kids!

Expert Forum User

I don't know the answer, but I am thinking that if he won't have to pay support and isn't going to assist financially with college, then I would check with OSAP about how they will view your daughter's income. Since her father is a legal guardian are they going to count his income as well as yours and perhaps deny her assistance?
    Or can she/you sign an affidavit with a lawyer stating he doesn't contribute financially? I know when I went to post-grad, OSAP had me sign a form stating that I do not receive any financial assistance from my son's father. I think it cost me $10 or $20 to have one of the university lawyers read it, watch me sign it, and sign it himself.
    If OSAP says that his income must be counted, then I would take that letter to court and try to change what he pays as she reaches college, and how much/% he should pay each year.

CAS pays for/to children past the age of 18. It was just over 10 years ago, so might have changed, but my room mate had all of her university books paid for by CAS, as well as her worker visit her monthly for coffee. She could receive that until age 21, as long as she remained in school.
    Last edited by melissawilliam; 10-30-2014 at 09:34 PM.

28 Elizabeth Street, New York City USA 10013

I think you should visit a lawyer to guide you on what you are going to do for child support.
    planejane likes this.
    Get the perfect Digital Kitchen Scale for families, chefs and dieters.

Expert Forum User

If your order states he is pay a portion of special and extraordinary expenses. Then he is to pay his percentage of college and continue paying child support until your child has graduated. If your child continues their education in a specialty field, the. He is to pay until age 25 as long as she lives with you. If your child moves out to go away to college, then he is to pay his percentage of college, lodging and food. But child support will stop.

My eldest is in his second year of college and I am dealing with all this now, since my ex feels he doesn't have to pay, even with a judge ordering him to pay his portion plus child support.
    planejane likes this.