Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Western Fair 2014 Thread

Expert Forum User

Default Western Fair 2014 Thread

Anyone want to chat about the Fair?

We went yesterday, got there when it opened and stayed until it closed. It was a lot of fun.

We saw two shows: some juggler that was hilarious, and then a My Little Pony show which was really good too.
    I missed the Agriplex as it was closed for renos, but glad that they had the animals in another area of the Fair.
    I'm glad that kiddyland was all in one area this year - less running around.

I couldn't find the place to get the "old fashioned" photos taken - did anyone see it this year? Where was it?

We got free parking on the Lot at the bend on King Street (across from the market) which was sweet.
    Married 2005. DD1 2007. DD2 2011. Beta Sigma Phi 2013.
    ... and one cute little kitty!

Expert Forum User

Are the animals just as good to see this year?

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

I went day 1 and was on tv for it but I got heat stroke and left early.

I had fun but did notice 2 things I was not happy with they let direct sellers in , don't get me wrong I sell thirty-one and steeped tea but I always loved being able to get unique not found just anywhere gifts.

I got me and D me dolls they are creepy cute https://www.facebook.com/pages/MeDoll/231043450379635

I loved the deep fried cheese, deep fried mushrooms and ice cream but found that there seemed to be way less food than normal too.

that said it wont prevent me from going next year

Went yesterday and while we had fun I found there seems to be more empty space this year like some things were missing but I couldn't say what? I did notice there seemed to be less food.
    Sunrise likes this.
    Cole is 8 years old! January, 2005
    Nate is 5 years old! January, 2008
    Judah is 2 years old! October, 2010
    Avery Grace born & passed Feb 4, 2007.

"Why did I not know that birth is the pinnacle where women discover the courage to become mothers?"
    Anita Diamant (The Red Tent)

We went on Saturday and I think it is smaller this year. Kiddie land is definitely smaller as rides they went on last year were not there this time. This is actually the first year that I felt like it wasn't worth the money. Now I should say my kids aren't big ride people. DS has anxiety so getting him on some of the rides there is not going to happen. Toward the end of the evening he was doing some things he hasn't in the past so that was a huge step for him. DH and I are also not huge ride people. So it makes me wonder why we even go LOL.

Expert Forum User

We saw Dora (noon on Weekends), and it was great My son loved it and was dancing and shouted out answers - he loves Dora on tv.
    Bought tickets, rather than passes for boys, so everyone got to go on rides, and it ended up being cheaper

No Elephant Ears - although that was probably good since I don't NEED to eat fried dough with more sugar on top, lol, but I did still look.

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by sittingpretty View Post
    I was not happy with they let direct sellers in , don't get me wrong I sell thirty-one and steeped tea but I always loved being able to get unique not found just anywhere gifts.
    I don't actually mind the direct sellers but I have been disappointed with the lack of deal for the fair they have.
    I mean if your going to be representing a company that has a presence on the internet, make a deal that is better then I can order online to my door!
    Arbonne, Tupperware, Mary Kay, Avon, Veema, It Works and many others were there last year......

The only thing we really missed was the displays they've had in previous years, in the farm area -- where you could jump into a 'hay pile' (with mattresses under it), play with toy farm equipment in a table full of soya beans, ride pedal tractors etc. But, the kids really enjoyed holding chicks, which we've never done before.
    It was over all a great day. I think we spent six hours there. I loved that there was so much my youngest could do finally, so it was much more fun for all as we could ditch the stroller and all go on rides together.
    DD1 age 7 DS age 11
    "I will remember you." July/10
    Baby Elaina born October 28th, 2011. Making every single day that much more special.
    INTERESTED IN BUYING DVDS OF OLD KIDS' SHOWS. Mr.Rogers', Mr.Dressup, Polka Dot Door, etc

Quote Originally Posted by gogomom View Post
    I don't actually mind the direct sellers but I have been disappointed with the lack of deal for the fair they have.
    I mean if your going to be representing a company that has a presence on the internet, make a deal that is better then I can order online to my door!
    Arbonne, Tupperware, Mary Kay, Avon, Veema, It Works and many others were there last year......
    I didn't notice em last year.

We haven't been for two years, and it seemed smaller. But we snagged free parking, watched the Flying Wallendas, saw all of the animals, rode the ferris wheel twice, held a baby chick, made a "throwie" at the DH Maker Bus, carefully selected a People's Choice photograph, knit a few rows on a scarf at the knitting display, embroidered a "B" at the embroidery display, caught up with friends at the Children's Museum display, ate french fries and frozen yogurt, and played two carnival games. It was fun, but I'm fair'd out for another year or two.
    Last edited by corazenia; 09-08-2014 at 11:13 PM. Reason: repeated myself twice!
    My musings about my children, my crafts and everything and anything else can be found on my blog.

Where was the dora show? do you know if they will have it this weekend? My daughter seen her at sbg and loved it so I would like to take her again.
    Any input would be great.

Quote Originally Posted by melissawilliam View Post
    We saw Dora (noon on Weekends), and it was great My son loved it and was dancing and shouted out answers - he loves Dora on tv.
    Bought tickets, rather than passes for boys, so everyone got to go on rides, and it ended up being cheaper

No Elephant Ears - although that was probably good since I don't NEED to eat fried dough with more sugar on top, lol, but I did still look.

Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

What. There's a scarf you can knit a bit on display? I think I missed a few things. I thought it was smaller, missed the agriplex and hope it's back next year. I like the kid rides being in the grassy area where some animals were this year instead of in the midway. But, better to have animals on grass if the agriplex is out.

I'm not a big fan of the fair anymore, but it seems wrong not to take the kids. I know they love it.

If you're eating check out the Food Truck SWAT. Food is good. Guy at the window also had something happen (accident? disability?) and he's not able to run it like he planned. His friends and family are all pitching in to make his food truck work since he had already paid for the spot. He was really nice.

I also saw someone give 5 soldiers $60 on Warriors Day to pay for their lunches. Then the SWAT truck gave the troops 50% off. The left over money went back to the military display and bought lunch for a couple more troops.
    Stop thinking you’re not ready. – Nobody ever feels 100% ready when an opportunity arises. Because most great opportunities in life force us to grow beyond our comfort zones, which means we won’t feel totally comfortable at first.

~ Breastfed for 7 months, 2 weeks and 3 days ~

Expert Forum User

Since we live within a 5 min walk of the fair we always go. It's tradition and we like to support the WFD. This year was smaller and we missed the animals being in the agriplex. DD2 fell asleep before we even saw the animals b/c we ended up going Sat. night from about 7-10. The kids had fun on the rides. We just bought 30 tickets and they each got half of them. We usually go twice b/c we use the bounce back but they didn't seem to have that this year. I guess b/c of the free concerts, parking, etc. that's no longer offered. DH and I thought the exhibits were really lacking this year. It was a nice family outing. Not too crazy busy/loud and the weather was nice. We were thinking of taking the kids for the 2 for 1 ride day on Sunday but now we might skip it, especially if the weather will be cold at all.

Hailey - April 2008
    Scarlett - April 2012
    Troy - July 2014
    *Currently enrolled in the Perinatal Support Practitioner program through Babies Naturally and looking to attend births as a student doula. Please message me for details!*

Quote Originally Posted by SpringChicks View Post
    Since we live within a 5 min walk of the fair we always go. It's tradition and we like to support the WFD. This year was smaller and we missed the animals being in the agriplex. DD2 fell asleep before we even saw the animals b/c we ended up going Sat. night from about 7-10. The kids had fun on the rides. We just bought 30 tickets and they each got half of them. We usually go twice b/c we use the bounce back but they didn't seem to have that this year. I guess b/c of the free concerts, parking, etc. that's no longer offered. DH and I thought the exhibits were really lacking this year. It was a nice family outing. Not too crazy busy/loud and the weather was nice. We were thinking of taking the kids for the 2 for 1 ride day on Sunday but now we might skip it, especially if the weather will be cold at all.
    also its 2 for 1 admission mon-thursday which is a pretty good deal too

Expert Forum User

We're going again this weekend and I can't wait!
    Married 2005. DD1 2007. DD2 2011. Beta Sigma Phi 2013.
    ... and one cute little kitty!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast