Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Mum 2 Alyssa

Thread: Baby Food Pouches/Jars

Expert Forum User

Default Baby Food Pouches/Jars

What is the deal with baby food pouches? I know they were around (but not common) when DD2 was starting solids 3.5 years ago now. I've seen a lot of babies just chugging back baby food pouches (no spoon, no bowl) directly from the pouch. Is this common practice now? I personally preferred feeding my baby from a bowl with a spoon.

I don't plan on starting anytime soon, probably more around the 6mo mark but it seems to be harder and harder to find the little glass jars I was used too.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

I would agree with you about the spoon/bowl. Although, I let my baby self feed for the most part, from the bowl, and play with the spoon I think that feeding, like anything else, is a time when a baby should be learning important skills, like utensil use, taking bites, integrating textures, not chocking etc. Chugging back liquified food from a squeeze pouch should not be the main form of feeding practice IMO because they are missing out on all those feeding and fine/gross motor skills associated with feeding.
    "Anything is better than lies and deceit". Leo Tolstoy

Expert Forum User

When I've seen friends using it in action, they have squeezed it into a bowl first and then fed them with a spoon. I think in their case it was easy to travel with but treated it the same way as the jars

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    LaLa likes this.
    Mum to Alyssa (born April 30, 2005)

Expert Forum User

You can buy spoon attachments for those pouches.

I tend to make my own food. Cheaper in the long run, and baby gets used to the same meals I prepare for the family.

04/05/12 & 28/09/12 - Mama loves you, Babies.

Expert Forum User

I think from articles I have been reading in magazines and from the direction the health unit is going is that baby food (real food that is cooked and smooshed and blended and then fed to baby) is going out. More people (and magazines and agencies) are going towards giving baby real food to feed themselves without smooshing it all up. This is in response to the rule change that says to not start food at 2 or 4 months (where it of course must be easy to slide down newborns throat), but to wait until 6 months or even older. The rules changed many years ago, and now the type of food we give baby has changed based on what they can eat at 6+ months compared to at 2-4 months. Even 3 years ago baby-led weaning had gained momentum, and we only used babyfood for a month until I realized he was wanting to eat real food at the table.

My son is also 3.5, but he likes to eat the pouches I don't use it as baby food, per se, but more like a mess-free apple sauce package They are healthy, fruit/veg, without added sugar - so better than other snacks, and won't go bad sitting in the car, like the yogurt tubes he likes to eat

So, I can see the babyfood companies changing their approach - if not as many people are buying babyfood to feed a young infant, then they can market it for infants and toddlers and preschoolers as a self-feeding meal/snack. I have even seen kids in JK/SK bring them for snack/lunch. This approach works with a package, but not with a glass jar and spoon, which can get messy, and apple sauce is already sold in plastic cups with peel-off lid.
    Last edited by melissawilliam; 06-29-2014 at 02:52 PM.

Expert Forum User

Yes my daughter didnt start on pureed at all. We did baby led weaning, where you offer different textures and them feed themselves. I would mush up an avocado or a banana and let her eat it herself. We skipped cereal all together as well, although she feeds her self oatmeal for breakfast now.

We buy the pouches for snacks on the go, and she will suck the puree right out of the pouch. I hate that I cant see inside of it though, i always taste a bit first.

Expert Forum User

Oh my kids definitely self feed... actually DD1 refused all solids until 7.5-8mo and went directly onto finger foods. DD2 however did a combo of both starting around 5.5mo -- not sure how this baby is going to be. We'll play it by ear and see how she does come September or so.

There just happens to be a baby that was in DD3s birth club that apparently is already sucking back food pouches and can recognize them at the store, cries for them, etc. It just seems so weird to me that a baby that young would already be eating baby food in that fashion. I just wasn't sure if this was the norm or not. I'm not really shocked that someone is feeding a 3.5-4mo old baby food, it's just not something that happens that early here. I like to keep the EBF'd poop as long as possible.

Expert Forum User

A baby shouldnt have solids at 3.5 months. Thats awfully young! They need all the nutrients from breastmilk/formula they can get!

Boon has a great middle of the road. They have a spoon with a squeeze pouch at the top you can fill with your own fruit/ veg pure. They are rather expensive in Canada, but are roughly 7.99/ per spoon in the States.

I used baby led weaning and the pouches. there are some great organic companies with no preservatives that have the pouches. It lowers their cost to put it in a pouch vs a glass jar but ideally you want to take the contents out just like in a jar and feed with a spoon. The pouches are great for travel, we used the buy the pasta stars one with some yummy sauce (green organic pouches) and bring a thermos with hot water (or stop at tims and get a cup of boiling water) and heat the pouch up, then put it in a bowl for feeding on long trips. my kids are 4 and 2 and we still use the pouches for fruits on the go, better than your regular apple sauce and easy for them to snack on the go.

Expert Forum User

My niece has these pouches when she is travelling (she's 9 MO), and she sucks it right out of the package, but mostly she eats finger foods.

When my LO's started solids (and after I had introduced each veg/fruit one at a time) I would just mush up whatever we were eating with a fork and my LO's would eat it right up. 3 kids and the only store bought baby food I ever used, was for Grandma sleepovers or travelling.

My daughter is 8 months and I love them because I can easily throw them in my purse. I always feed in a bowl with a spoon though. I hated carrying glass jars around with me with my other kiddos. I do mainly make all our own food and now she is eating mainly table food, but I do have them on hand for a quick feed.