Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Eleanor Rigby
  • 2 Post By CMR78
  • 1 Post By Eleanor Rigby

Thread: Outgrown Bucket Car Seat

Default Outgrown Bucket Car Seat

My LO is about 4.5 months olds and 23.5lbs. So he officially has outgrown his 22lb bucket car seat.

I need to buy a new seat (obviously) but an very overwhelmed with the options. (My MIL bought the bucket) and I think he is too young to face forward.

Thoughts?
    Anyone recommend a good forward facing seat for my Buddha baby?

Thanks

He is definitely too small for forward facing. The current recommendation is 2 years. I would suggest getting a convertible seat that can rear face for an extended period of time and the forward face until he is ready for a booster (minimum 40lbs, also recommended to wait)
    For DS2 we have the truefit which rear faces to 35lbs. He is 3 though and is now ff. There are lots of different options though. You'll have to go to TRU and see what works for you.

Please do not flip him to forward facing and don't give into pressure from others who will say he can because he meets the weight requirement. That is only a small part of it

Expert Forum User

Eleanor has it right - babies should remain rear facing as long as possible. I'm a member of a group called London Car Seat Safety (London Car Seat Safety | Car Seat Inspections and Education) that helps families learn to safely install car seats in their vehicles. We are a group of volunteer moms who are trained, certified and insured to install and inspect car seats.

How tall is your guy? What vehicle do you drive? What is your budget? I'm sure one of our group would be more than happy to chat 1:1 with you about your options and help you pick the best seat for your child.
    Last edited by CMR78; 06-24-2014 at 07:48 PM.
    Eleanor Rigby and LaLa like this.

04/05/12 & 28/09/12 - Mama loves you, Babies.

Expert Forum User

We have two foonfs and a britax.
    My daughter is 14 months old and wont be turned forward until she absolutely has too (hoping around 3 or 4).

Yes I talked to my nurse practitioner and she said the same thing about continuing to be rear facing.

I'm not sure his height off hand, however he just finished (I think) a growth spurt.

We are definitely on a budget (who isn't?) However what I caught up on is we don't have a car and only rent one when needed/visiting ppl out of town.
    How do I know which car seat to buy, when the type of car it will go in varries?
    And its hard to justify the higher ticketed ones when we will only use it a handful of times.

I needy baby to stop growing....thought I'd have more time to figure this out.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk

All carseats are pretty universal so you shouldn't have too much of a problem putting it in different cars. I would highly recommend contacting a car seat tech after you've purchased it and have them show you how to install and and either you are the only one who installs it each time or you take the time to make sure everyone who will be doing it knows how to do it properly

I say this because most people and especially older generation (our parents) have this notion that as long as it's clipped in, it's fine. Every time my kids go in my step moms car I have had to reinstall her carseat because it's basically flipping all over the back seat

Expert Forum User

If budget is a concern....

Evenflo Titan 65 Chessburg | Walmart.ca

or

Evenflo® 'SureRide DLX' Convertible Car Seat - Sears | Sears Canada

Those 2 seats are essentially the same (infant padding and fabrics are different). They rear face until 40lbs/40"/or 1" of shell over head and then can be turned forward facing and used until outgrown (65lbs/54" or shoulders above the 19" top slots/ears over shell).

Right now you can also use great canadian rebates to get 6% back via paypal if shopping at walmart.ca or 2% if you shop at sears.ca (or -- if you don't want to go through the hassle of setting up an account, can you shoot the 2/6% over to London Car Seat Safety by clicking this: https://www.greatcanadianrebates.ca/...ncarseatsafety and then navigating to walmart/sears)
    Last edited by a_bun_in_the_oven; 06-25-2014 at 07:44 AM.

Expert Forum User

The previous posts have great information! Remember, the next seat you buy will last a lot longer, find one on sale and it will be well worth the money. This seat will probably last you 5 years (or to the expiry date). If where you I would look at the options above, have one shipped to you for under $150 taxes in and you are set for for about 5 years.