Question Homeschooling question

I am prospectively thinking of possibly homeschooling (not certain yet though as my children are babies still). Just wondering what Ontarios current government under Kathleen Wynne have to say about homeschooling? I know she used to hold position on education in government. So what are her views on homeschooling? Does anyone know her party's position on this?

Expert Forum User

No idea, but why care what she thinks?

Expert Forum User

I am not sure if she actually has an opinion on it? It isn't something to do with taxes or laws, so I don't think governments think about it at all. Same as the government has no involvement with private schools.

If you are asking about if it is funded or if you could get paid for it, then no, and I don't know that they ever will, at least not in the near future. I am not sure if you can claim books you have bought or other items for teaching to be tax-free - actually I don't believe teachers can claim them either (although that is something I should find out).

You can follow the ontario curriculum, or create your own curriculum, or make it child-centred and watch what your child is interested in, or chose not to teach anything at all and allow your children to learn on their own.
    Last edited by melissawilliam; 06-21-2014 at 01:51 PM.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

who cares? as homeschooling parents we are protected under the charter of rights so her views have no merit anyways.

I have no idea. Why do you ask?

I just wasn't sure if each provincial premier could have the option to change homeschooling laws? Like I said I am new to homeschooling idea and trying to find out more about rules/regulations before I decide if I would homeschool or not

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Quote Originally Posted by southerngal View Post
    I just wasn't sure if each provincial premier could have the option to change homeschooling laws? Like I said I am new to homeschooling idea and trying to find out more about rules/regulations before I decide if I would homeschool or not
    the only rule per say is that you give your child an appropriate education but there is no definition of what that it is. I figure the government can not change the laws as education is covered under the human rights acts so in order to do so they would have to screw with our rights and that would not work.