Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: june election

Default june election

Who do you think will win the election this june?

It's hard to say but I would hope anyone but the Conservatives.

I hardly agree with the "anyone but Conservatives". I DO agree that I hope conservatives don't win the election. Eliminating jobs, increasing classroom sizes, getting rid of ECE's (basically), combining ODSP and OW, freezing child benefits, eliminating tuition grants, declining the backing of in-vitro fertilization...the list goes on. Green party IMO isn't much better; lacking a full platform. "We'll double child benefits for low-income families" "we'll combine catholic school board with public". Easier said than done IMO. Personally, I'm with the Liberals. I wouldn't have a melt down if NDP's won either though.

I don't know who to vote for. I was leaning towards the conservative party but they want to make so many cuts. I don't trust the liberal party at all. I feel they are corrupt and totally untrustworthy but it seems most politicians are. I wish I could vote for someone that I thought was a little honest but it seems none of them are.
    gogomom and sardam like this.
    Proud mom to ds born Sept. 2009 and dd born May 2012

Expert Forum User

I just want to keep my job If contract teachers are put on the supply list then I am out of work. As a sole support parent I will lose my house, my kids will have to leave their schools/daycares, and since so many people will try for min wage jobs (and I know lots who work more than 1 to get full-time hours, and I wouldn't be available weekends/evenings), I will lose my house, and have to move to my parent's city/house

I will not be voting for Hudak!

So many EAs have been let go over the years, that I don't know how he can justify cutting any of them at this point. I am not sure if Hudak is just wanting to lock up the children with severe issues who need to be removed from class when they are frustrated, or if they will be allowed to just attack other students in their rooms/schools? If a SN child runs from your class do you stay with the other 25-45 students or chase that 1???
    If a student or teacher is overweight and can't fit in the few inches between desks what will his plan be??? (Even 8 years ago some junior classes had 40 kids and I spoke to skinny student teachers who said the hardest thing was when a student in the middle put up their hand for help, lol).

How will he create jobs? Business are leaving north america because the min wage is too high. Would tax breaks be enough to bring them to our country? He might have to decrease min wage or pay the businesses the difference. But he says he is going to pay off all debts??? HOW?
    When Windsor's economy died and they did everything to bring businesses in - but all the new businesses paid min wage (or up to $10/h, when min wage was about $7), and were only 40 hours a week. Most jobs had been $10-20/h and were 60 hour weeks, with time and a half for 10 hours and double time for 10 hours. Even with the few new jobs, people couldn't afford to live I think his jobs are going to be the same thing.

I don't trust any of them and hadn't been planning to vote - I have always voted before, but have lost faith. BUT now I am TERRIFIED!!! I get a bit of a panic attack if I think about the election too much as my life depends on it. I HAVE to vote, because I have to vote for someone OTHER THAN HUDAK!!! I am thinking NDP, especially since I believe they are more likely to win in my riding.

Basically, it is tied between PC and Liberal, with the Liberals winning by a couple percentage points. NDP is about 10-15 percentage points behind the other 2.
    Last edited by melissawilliam; 06-07-2014 at 11:09 AM.

NDP gets my vote
    SpringChicks and Sunrise like this.

Expert Forum User

I am really torn on who to vote for. My local guy that I like is Family Coalition Party of Ontario, but I have to look at the big picture. The PC's is who the survey's say I should vote for and they are closest to what I'd like to see on many things, but so far off on other things. And there is NO WAY I can vote for Hudak, I don't trust the guy one bit (or Wynn either), but I don't like the NDP platform. So I'll keep researching and see.

Expert Forum User

Wynne and Hudak are both awful if you ask me but I generally dont vote Ndp. This election sucks.
    sardam likes this.

Expert Forum User

There is also this option when your choice is "none of the above"...

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/cana...162236628.html
    Last edited by jasterling; 06-08-2014 at 06:33 AM.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

None of the above doesn't really help though someone is going to get voted in....I want to try and have a say in that. No one will care, in the long run, that people tried to express their dislike of all parties by choosing " none of the above". I think the conservatives have a slight lead now.....much as I think the liberals are slimy bullies, I'd rather them than Hudak.
    babybears123, Findabhair and Carol like this.
    "Anything is better than lies and deceit". Leo Tolstoy

Expert Forum User

I would like to see NDP take it.
    Simply because I don't want to see Wynne in again, and I really really really don't want to see Hudak in.
    corazenia likes this.
    Married 2005. DD1 2007. DD2 2011. Beta Sigma Phi 2013.
    ... and one cute little kitty!

Expert Forum User

It is just scary. I was having some older people mention to me that when we lose 100,000 educated jobs, some that are higher paying, then that greatly affects how much money is put into pensions and can start to affect people's pensions.

I also realized 100,000 teachers/EAs, etc being laid off, means they will go onto EI and since they haven't claimed lately will get 52 weeks. Then they get EI and work some supply hours, maybe not get the full EI amount, but at least some of it.
    ECEs will just be on EI for about 6 months, as they likely claimed last summer so won't get a full year.

Then all supply teachers and supply EAs will continue on EI after summer and keep on it for at least 6 months, and ALL the supply ECEs will be out of work and on EI.

100,000 people - While the contract people laid off will still be working as supplies (they get first bid for jobs), just with a lot less income, they may continue their normal life while just spending a bit less, but others may have to sell their house and drastically cut down (basically it depends how much their spouse brings in).

100,000 MORE PEOPLE - The supply EAs/Teachers will ALL have to find another job. So a few do tutoring, which won't pay the bills, and a few get minimum wage jobs, which are mostly part-time. I have a friend with a Masters who finally "faked" her resume after 1 Tims flat out said they wouldn't hire her with that much education, but putting she ONLY had a 4 year undergrad from years ago and then worked at chapters - THEN Tims hired her. Many people I know are working 2 part-time jobs. Meaning, most will be on EI AND working part-time, then depending on what their spouse makes may be able to survive or drastically cut down spending. Those who are single - will be on OW after.

SO, 200,000 people on EI for 6 months- 1 year, while cutting down spending, THEN some continuing on OW. That is affecting 200,000 FAMILIES, or about 400,000-600,000 CHILDREN AND ADULTS. How many houses entering the market around the same time? How much spending (aka taxes) going down?

HOW is he planning on DECREASING taxes over 2 years, WHILE paying all this EI/OW, and having 200,000 people paying less tax, both during tax season and HST while making purchases, AND paying off all of Ontario's debt???

IMO, if someone chooses NOT TO VOTE and Hudak gets it, it is the same as having voted for him to destroy our economy.

Hmm, I am reading that just under 600,000 people are out of work? Labour force is 7, 441, 000 and employment is 6, 879,000. Last year, 95,000 jobs were created in Ontario, and Hudak would like to erase more than the increase from 2013, and as mentioned it affects twice as much as that!
    Last edited by melissawilliam; 06-08-2014 at 09:31 PM.

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by melissawilliam View Post
    IMO, if someone chooses NOT TO VOTE and Hudak gets it, it is the same as having voted for him to destroy our economy.
    I do not feel letting Wynn in is any better then Hudak, and it isn't because I am an NDP or Green supporter. I am still not seeing this a completely bad choice How Ontarians Can Vote 'None Of The Above' By Declining Ballots , if done correctly it is much better then just not voting in my opinion. Making the effort to go out and vote and purposely destroying your ballot is a waste though, make your vote at least count towards something even if it might not win the election.

Expert Forum User

I got a chance to meet Hudak a few months ago - and I gotta say - I remain impressed by him.

Looking at the Ontario debt alone is enough for me to want to wave good-bye to Wynn's Liberals. In 10 years of Liberal government, Ontario has a provincial debt that has doubled from $150 billion to $300 billion. Ontario has increased yearly spending from $65 billion to $130 billion. Ontario, now in 2014, is running a $10 billion-plus deficit each year.

The NDP, who SHOULD have voted in the very NDP-like budget, instead brought us this election - I simply don't get that at all... force an election they weren't ready for, have no real platform for, then run a series of attack ads with no substance what-so-ever... all in hopes of what? That they will have a seat or two more? Maybe. Even in thier wildest hopes, they knew they couldn't win - so they must hope for more of the status quo, which their votes ended... I find the whole plan a little off, TBH.

Expert Forum User

We're an NDP household here. We grew up in blue collar families and although I have a "professional" job now I'm far from well off due to excessive student debt and yep having kids. Jack Layton created momentum and excitement regarding the NDP party. Horwath is generally well informed and a good speaker, but the party platform is a little weak and there are still a lot of people who don't really know what the party stands for.
    The choice b/w the Liberals though who IMO have done nothing useful under McGuinty/Wynne including several expensive scandals ie:Ornge and cancelled gas plants.
    Hudak's plan to cut public sector jobs, increase class sizes, etc. isn't exactly family friendly and I also don't like his personality in general (probably not the greatest reason but hey, it's my ballot to fill out).
    Here's an article re: the scandals from the Huffington Post. Ontario Election 2014: 5 Liberal Scandals Likely To Resurface
    corazenia likes this.

Hailey - April 2008
    Scarlett - April 2012
    Troy - July 2014
    *Currently enrolled in the Perinatal Support Practitioner program through Babies Naturally and looking to attend births as a student doula. Please message me for details!*

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast