Poll: Do you attend your school's parents council meetings?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Do you attend your school council/home and school/etc meetings?

Expert Forum User

Default Do you attend your school council/home and school/etc meetings?

Do you attend? Do you hold a formal position? How many parents attend (and how big is your school)?

I attend and hold a minor position but as my youngest will be in school part-time next year and I will have a little extra time I think I will partake a bit more. I find it ridiculous though that our school of +/- 500 kids can only get 5ish parents out to a meeting. My current goal is to figure out a way to get more parents out. Anything your council does that is interesting or helps get more parents? We already have free babysitting.

Expert Forum User

I attend all if I can and I hold a position on our h and s. Our school has roughky 125 kids. Only about 5 to 8 parents if we are lucky come to meetings.

I have also started a facebook page for our hs
    Scentsy Rep. on Facebook Perfectly-Scented Scentsy my website www.perfectly-scented.scentsy.ca

Fundraising to get our daughter a service dog. please feel free to visit her fundraising page https://www.facebook.com/groups/415637608516807/

SPARKLE TATTOO!
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Danas...41850885905215

Expert Forum User

I dont even know when meetings are... Never been.

Super Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

I got to all that I can. We offer free babysitting as well. We do not really do anything extra special to get parents out but we usually get about 10-15ish depending on the meeting.
    We do have a FB page where we post about when the meetings are etc.. so ppl are always knowing when they are happening and we always try to get them consistent (ie. second tuesday of the month etc).
    *~* The point isn't whether they lived happily ever after, the point is that they lived*~

I get the emails from parent council meetings and try and help out if I can. When my youngest is in school and if my school schedule isn't too crazy I will make a larger effort. I do at lot at my own school (trying to earn bursaries and scholarships). I bake a lot and help the teachers out in my girls school though.

Expert Forum User

I've never been, even though I've always wanted to. Our school offers babysitting, but that's only useful if all your kids are of school age. The meetings are consistently on the same night of the week, which happened to clash with other meetings I had to attend that took priority, or I had no childcare.

I want to be more involved next year, because I think it's important. However, I'm not sure how much I can do if I can't get to the meetings again. If you don't go, you're completely in the dark and don't have any idea of action points. I would appreciate some condensed minutes.
    Last edited by PicklePig; 06-06-2014 at 07:40 AM.

Expert Forum User

I have never been. The kids are in a FFL school though and I don't speak French. If we weren't in the process of moving/have moved than I think I would have gone this year as the principle approached me asking me if I wanted to join and if I couldn't follow along someone could help me out.
    Now that we are at a new school half way through I have no idea when meetings are or if they would be as understanding as the last school. Come September I would like to look into it more.

Quote Originally Posted by PicklePig View Post
    I've never been, even though I've always wanted to. Our school offers babysitting, but that's only useful if all your kids are of school age. The meetings are consistently on the same night of the week, which happened to clash with other meetings I had to attend that took priority, or I had no childcare.

I want to be more involved next year, because I think it's important. However, I'm not sure how much I can do if I can't get to the meetings again. If you don't go, you're completely in the dark and don't have any idea of action points. I would appreciate some condensed minutes.
    I know at DD's school they will happily email you the minutes and all details of things they have planned. I would ask the principal to get your name on the emailing list, I'm sure they have one too!

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

I don't go to ours and here is why, which may help you in figuring out ways to get others to help out:
    IF I hear about the meeting, it is the day of -- but normally it is after it has happened, or not at all. The school site shows a calendar and according to it, our
    last meeting was November. Doubtful.
    I have 3 kids. I have nowhere to stash 3 kids, usually at or near bedtime especially, to attend a meeting -- so the babysitting would certainly make it a deal
    changer for me.
    I've repeatedly checked off the 'yes i'd love to hear how I can help out! contact me at ...' box on forms, or written in to say hey if I can be of any use from my home
    preparing stuff or in school with my 2 year old in tow, let me know. Like, when my mom did h&s stuff, she had lots of forms she had to sort through, or fundraiser orders
    to organize, etc. Stuff one could do at home. But, I've never heard a reply.
    Maybe put right in the notice sent home -- oh and send one! I don't hear of these things -- that there are ways to help from home (if possible), or it can be a one time
    offer of help (no commitment) or if you can't attend the meeting but would like to receive an email of details, or so on.
    DD1 age 7 DS age 11
    "I will remember you." July/10
    Baby Elaina born October 28th, 2011. Making every single day that much more special.
    INTERESTED IN BUYING DVDS OF OLD KIDS' SHOWS. Mr.Rogers', Mr.Dressup, Polka Dot Door, etc

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by Ingalls View Post
    I don't go to ours and here is why, which may help you in figuring out ways to get others to help out:
    IF I hear about the meeting, it is the day of -- but normally it is after it has happened, or not at all. The school site shows a calendar and according to it, our
    last meeting was November. Doubtful.
    I have 3 kids. I have nowhere to stash 3 kids, usually at or near bedtime especially, to attend a meeting -- so the babysitting would certainly make it a deal
    changer for me.
    I've repeatedly checked off the 'yes i'd love to hear how I can help out! contact me at ...' box on forms, or written in to say hey if I can be of any use from my home
    preparing stuff or in school with my 2 year old in tow, let me know. Like, when my mom did h&s stuff, she had lots of forms she had to sort through, or fundraiser orders
    to organize, etc. Stuff one could do at home. But, I've never heard a reply.
    Maybe put right in the notice sent home -- oh and send one! I don't hear of these things -- that there are ways to help from home (if possible), or it can be a one time
    offer of help (no commitment) or if you can't attend the meeting but would like to receive an email of details, or so on.
    Thanks for you input. What is frustrating is that we already do most of that stuff.
    The date and time is consistent every month and the info is sent home in a newsletter and digitally every month within a week of the meeting.
    Our free babysitting is for any age, they don't have to be school age. Meetings are approx. an hour long so yes it is 7:30-8pm which is bedtime, but if we do it any earlier it interferes with getting home from work and having dinner.
    A few times a year we send home notices for projects that can be done at home, and I have brought my younger kids to many volunteer things I do around the school (hot lunches every other week, selling glow stuff at the dance-a-thon, etc.) and others do as well.
    babybears123 likes this.

Expert Forum User

I had every intention to this year but it's hard to find a babysitter for DS to get to something like that I also don't drive so I'd be walking to the school and back. I really want to and hopefully next year will give me a better opportunity to do so.
    I'm

[/B]

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

I wonder if you could try doing a sort of sub council, or something, where you meet during the day, like not competing with the main one but working with it,
    just some people can't attend at night?
    sardam likes this.
    DD1 age 7 DS age 11
    "I will remember you." July/10
    Baby Elaina born October 28th, 2011. Making every single day that much more special.
    INTERESTED IN BUYING DVDS OF OLD KIDS' SHOWS. Mr.Rogers', Mr.Dressup, Polka Dot Door, etc

Expert Forum User

It sounds like you're doing a really good job of giving parents an opportunity to get involved, sardam.

Even if it was OK to bring my 2 year old to things I still wouldn't. He's a ball of energy and I wouldn't be able to focus on other things for watching him. And being babysat at meetings is out, because it's way after his bedtime.

Expert Forum User

I voted "no".
    I frankly don't have time (or the inclination TBH) - some people are joiners, I am not. I usually only join things that are going to help me out in my career, and even those I like to keep to a max of one at a time.
    Maybe when my kids were smaller I should have been more involved - but now I feel like I'm just waiting out the 3 years until my youngest is in high school.

Our PTA is VERY clique which turned me off from the get-go, even when I was invited into the clique
    Also the pressure is VERY high to volunteer for things in the classroom or for fundraisers - and I simply can't do these things during the day, I run a business, I have a family, I have very little free time. Also I am not a fan of the fundraisers themselves - the number of them overwhelm me - and the one's where the kids earn prizes make me mad, I would much rather just give the school $50 at the start of the year and be done with it.
    Last edited by gogomom; 06-06-2014 at 03:33 PM. Reason: spelling again
    babybears123 likes this.

Expert Forum User

I go and have a position as a community rep, although my child also attends the school. I liked that I was able to have a more insider view on the happenings in the school, esp since our school has been involved in the ARC process. We will be switching our DD to the Catholic board next year and I don't really know many parents involved at the school yet. I'll be on mat leave though so I may just submit an application and see if I can get in, or else just attend meetings and go from there.
    sardam likes this.

Hailey - April 2008
    Scarlett - April 2012
    Troy - July 2014
    *Currently enrolled in the Perinatal Support Practitioner program through Babies Naturally and looking to attend births as a student doula. Please message me for details!*

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast