Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: How long did you bf for?

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by Katie_ View Post
    If I suggest my daughter take a drink from her cup instead she will literally try to rip my shirt off, and scream. I don't see her weaning any time soon, and shes already a terrible two lol
    Sweetie, the "terrible two's" are a complete myth. It really starts much earlier than 2 (which you've already found out) and it's pretty much over by the time they are 2 yo. I think much of it can be blamed on their frustration level to express themselves and to find out what they can and can't do independently.
    a_bun_in_the_oven likes this.

Expert Forum User

Thank GOD!

Expert Forum User

hahaha i've found 3-4-5 to be a lot harder then under 2.

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by /wasn't me/ View Post
    hahaha i've found 3-4-5 to be a lot harder then under 2.
    1.5 to 2.5 has been the hardest with both my little ladies.

2.5 to 5 were the testy years for my 3 girls! And now at almost 9 my oldest is bringing in a whole new level of sass. I

I would say 3 was the hardest time for us. (She just turned 4 and although the back talk hasn't gone away, she is a little more pleasant more often than not)

yeah, 3 is a struggle

My son weaned around 18 months. I had planned to go until 2 but I think he was just getting SO busy. Prior to that he used to eat SO much I thought he'd want to nurse forever.

Expert Forum User

My first two were formula babies, DD#3 nursed for a year and then self weaned out of the blue, we introduced homo milk and that was it. With DS he is still nursing twice a day I had wanted to wean him because of my limited diet because of his food sensitivities but he was miserable anytime he was around me, finally one day I just nursed him and he was a very happy boy, I was pumping while trying to wean so I didn't loose my supply. He will now get grouchy twice a day usually first thing in the morning and mid afternoon and that is when he is all over me wanting to nurse. I just wish he would nurse and be done but he latches on nurses for a bit then sits up looks around then nurses some more and that is how it goes for maybe half n hour.

Expert Forum User

Oh planejane I hear you! Dd wants my breats out all the time even though shes just taking random sips! She will nurse and then stick her soother back in her mouth so I put my shirt down and she shouts at me and lifts it back up. If i tell her all done (because shes ALL DONE!) she will throw herself backwards. So dramatic.
    planejane likes this.

Expert Forum User

my first was 27 months, and I only weened because his sister was born and he had a bad respiratory bug and I didnt to contaminate her. It was pretty easy but I wasn't able to put him to bed for a while because he associated it.

my second child was about 3 1/2 I forget because it happened gradually. She would go a few days and I would think we were done and then she would ask. It was mainly at bedtime

my third child is 4... :/ Never in my wildest dreams did I think... and OMG people have opinions, which I can fully understand, but its not weird to us because I didn't START breastfeeding a preschooler! It's a very nice quiet way to end the day and its like a magic sleep aide, when she is otherwise kinda hyper at bedtime. So really, I still nurse her because I'm lazy and there is no better way to ger her to sleep and make DH take over the older two kids. Shhhh! Part of me fears she is the 7 year old, when research shows the natural age of weaning is 3-7..., and then I wonder why its so stigmatized, and I carry on allowing her to decide. Its only in the quiet of bedtime. About age 3 3/4 she gave up her morning nursing. I imagined we were almost done, and here we are. ok, TBH shes 4 1/2, and I hesitated to post because I know what people think.
    Last edited by lilabelle; 05-10-2015 at 04:05 AM.
    Formerly "lila's mum" but I had outgrown that name, now that I have 3 beauties.

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by lilabelle View Post
    my first was 27 months, and I only weened because his sister was born and he had a bad respiratory bug and I didnt to contaminate her. It was pretty easy but I wasn't able to put him to bed for a while because he associated it.

my second child was about 3 1/2 I forget because it happened gradually. She would go a few days and I would think we were done and then she would ask. It was mainly at bedtime

my third child is 4... :/ Never in my wildest dreams did I think... and OMG people have opinions, which I can fully understand, but its not weird to us because I didn't START breastfeeding a preschooler! It's a very nice quiet way to end the day and its like a magic sleep aide, when she is otherwise kinda hyper at bedtime. So really, I still nurse her because I'm lazy and there is no better way to ger her to sleep and make DH take over the older two kids. Shhhh! Part of me fears she is the 7 year old, when research shows the natural age of weaning is 3-7..., and then I wonder why its so stigmatized, and I carry on allowing her to decide. Its only in the quiet of bedtime. About age 3 3/4 she gave up her morning nursing. I imagined we were almost done, and here we are. ok, TBH shes 4 1/2, and I hesitated to post because I know what people think.
    I am THERE with you! My son turned 4 in March. My oldest weaned himself at 18months since he could run with a sippy in his mouth but this didn't work for my breast, lol. My youngest loves to cuddle in the morning, after daycare, and at night with mama milk. He tries sometimes when he is fussy to pull down my shirt in public, but I always say "not now", and he knows we only have mama milk at home.

He will be starting school in September, and I wonder if he will stop. He often nurses and cuddles at bed and then I leave and he puts himself to sleep, rather than nurses to sleep.

My 11 year old son has started to make comments that he doesn't approve of my youngest touching my breasts and he feels it is sexual and only ok for babies and toddlers.

I rarely offer (only during extreme meltdowns, lol), but he is the one who asks.
    I think my biggest issue is trying to explain to him why he isn't allowed anymore, when it is something he has always done. I enjoy cuddles and really hate the idea of refusing to allow him, since I struggle to see why it is wrong?
    Last edited by melissawilliam; 05-10-2015 at 11:30 AM.

Expert Forum User

Thank you for posting. I was feeling awkward admitting although I don't feel awkward in the privacy of my own home. It's very natural to us. I too want her to decide, so she knows it's perfectly natural. I don't think she needs to be told she's too old. She will figure out when to stop. I am never the one to offer, she always invites me... And so it's truely child led weaning.
    Formerly "lila's mum" but I had outgrown that name, now that I have 3 beauties.

Expert Forum User

DS#1 - never took to the boob, so was weaned to EBF at 2 months.
    DS#2 - got a cold and couldn't breath through his nose - weaned at 11 months (also note I was 4 months pregnant at that time).
    DS#3 - 18 months aprox.

Expert Forum User

My son would definitely still be nursing if I didn't wean him at 3. He is still very attached to me and remembers clearly nursing and tells me he misses it. He's turning 5 next month and I can totally see nursing him still..I just decided to wean because I thought he might start to sleep through the night better..that backfired. He still gets up to come snuggle me.... Good for you!!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123